trespassers

hrymanback

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a hard thing to deal with,i belonged to a club in Sullivan Co.NY and we had some defiant ones that even when confronted would continue trespassing.The only way to stop them would be for at least 1 member to file official charges and follow thru with court appearances etc. So not so easy with many living out of town or with busy schedules.Then with the advent of 4 wheelers things got worse.Before that I had to sell a camp up in Pine Bush that had been a haunt for kids before I bought it,I practley rebuilt the place many week ends but the kids kept breaking in,it was a sad thing but I sold it and later joined a club that had local members that kept an eye out which turned out to be the best alternative.Picture is of my Pine Bush NY camp with lake frontage, deer stand was a 15 minute walk away,still dreaming bout that one ;) .John aka JW QLTY

post-1589-131455337355_thumb.jpg

Man I HATE tresspassers!!! I just checked my cams yesterday and got this pic of someone riding a horse ~5 yards from one of my stands!! They walked past no less than 2 lines of POSTED signs, on each side of the path, on their way in!!

Why do these people feel they are entitled to go onto someone elses property that is very clearly plastered with POSTED signs??

Man I HATE tresspassers!!! I just checked my cams yesterday and got this pic of someone riding a horse ~5 yards from one of my stands!! They walked past no less than 2 lines of POSTED signs, on each side of the path, on their way in!!

Why do these people feel they are entitled to go onto someone elses property that is very clearly plastered with POSTED signs??

I've done the thing with the horseback riders (as well as the dirt bikes, mountain bikes, ATVs, snowmobilers, etc.). They all think that when they move to the country, everything is so big and open that there is no way they could be bothering anybody. They never look behind them to see the deep pock marks or piles of crap that they are laying down on trails. It never occurs to them that a landowner may have uses for his land that requires a minimum of activity (such as the hunting stand that you mentioned). In short, they just feel that everyone owns, pays taxes, and maintains their land for the use of them. In-other-words, they simply think they have a right to use other people's property as their own, even though they would be calling the police in the city or suburban yards that they moved from if someone has rode a horse across their yard.

Of course the other thought is that they will never get caught and somehow that makes it ok.

Doc

Last year I was in my high treestand on the property line, ~20 feet up, this is second? week of gun.  I take my orange off during gun when I'm 20 feet up in the air, so I'm pretty inconspicuous.  Quiet, dry day, and I hear something coming through the woods.  This A-hole was trolling right along 100 yards past the posted signs, no orange, all solid brown  & black with a friggin white fur trimmed hat.

So when he's about 30 yards away from the stand, I yell in my big boy voice "HEY!  Walking around with no orange on posted property is a really good way to get shot."

And the nervy bastard replies (in a thick new jersey accent) "Well ya bettah be fuwkin carful what yuh shootin' at!" 

Can I legally disarm, hold at riflepoint people until the state police show up?

What up Redneck, If you point the gun at him you can be charged with menacing (unless you can prove you were defending yourself from bodily harm) I have thought this one over hearing peoples stories and I would say the thing to do is have a camera or a cell phone with a camera with you so you can get a picture of the piece of *%$# or even his back tag to give to the cops, even a license plate #.  The only way to keep them from RE-offending is to follow through with prosecuting them for trespassing. When they KNOW you will, they probably won't be back.

[/quote

My old club had property across the road from a horse farm and they would ride on our land through a high line that crossed it so when things got slow during the late season we would drive the wooded part of the horse farm property toward standers on our land.Never had a problem and I dont think the horse poop worried the deer as they were used to it.Some times things can work toward the good.We should have collected the poop and fed a food plot with it(hind site is 20/20)

I should have mentioned this another big horse farm in our area would spread the manure in a couple of large fields that we leased and as soon as the tractor left turkeys would flock to the field and feed on the undigested oats,that tractor was like a dinner bell to them.A true fact.John

Post the pic :)

Here it is. Got pics going in and coming out!

post-748-131455341707_thumb.jpg

post-748-131455341728_thumb.jpg