Selling a boat and I’ve got questions!

Nomad

Always owned one, never sold one …..

It’s old a ‘64 Starcraft, with ‘84 70hp Johnson that I’ve owned since new . Anyways I’m looking to move it  , I just want it gone without a lot of back and forth . Will everyone want to run it in the water ? It’s in my driveway and I’m not really wanting to go launch it for every tire kicker that comes along . Especially when the sale price won’t be all that much . Oh and what would be a fair price , no rips in seats , floors solid hulls fine . 

This is not a for sale post , it’s still in storage actually.

BDBB7246-BFA7-4C9F-9158-3E96A800A7E4.png

Edited by Nomad

If it were mine I would put a 2000$ price tag on it and take the first 1500 , maybe less if it was a family with kids.

A 2,000 dollar boat that runs is a quick sale this time of year.

I’m sure you could make more money but to me a wasting a day Isn’t worth 500$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I’ve first got to get a replacement registration. The one I have the ink all faded off , they printed it on “ waterproof “ paper, that apparently is ink proof as well . I Love NY !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If it were mine I would put a 2000$ price tag on it and take the first 1500 , maybe less if it was a family with kids.

A 2,000 dollar boat that runs is a quick sale this time of year.

I’m sure you could make more money but to me a wasting a day Isn’t worth 500$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice here!

GLWS

Still got the boat ?  I don’t know of a better mid-sized outboard ever made by any manufacturer, than those old Johnson 70 hp, 3 cylinder 2 strokes.  I have an 1999, that I bought new.  It hasn’t missed a beat, since 2000, when it got a new power pack under warranty.  It has the VRO injection system, which is nice because you don’t have to mix the gas, spark plugs last a long time, and it don’t smoke much at trolling speed.  

I can’t stand today’s heavy 4 stroke outboards.  My back is still sore from lifting my father in law’s Honda 9.9 hp onto his barge this spring. This rig is light enough to tow with my wife’s minivan if I want to.  
08900C22-5E70-4418-99E9-9FC1208E99F6.thumb.jpeg.b9589790f783ec222e903341cb37ceee.jpeg

• Like 1

Had the same boat  ran it with a 50 hp Johnson utility. Perfect boat for the fingerlakes... to small for lake ontario. 2 pucker factor trips on the big o . Always said I would get a 20 foot boat with 100 hp motor before I would play on the O again . Seneca lake could be pretty rough but I never got caught in 6 foot plus waves . Always had enough  warning to get off the lake .

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Had the same boat  ran it with a 50 hp Johnson utility. Perfect boat for the fingerlakes... to small for lake ontario. 2 pucker factor trips on the big o . Always said I would get a 20 foot boat with 100 hp motor before I would play on the O again . Seneca lake could be pretty rough but I never got caught in 6 foot plus waves . Always had enough  warning to get off the lake .

I bought the boat in 89 with the 60 hp version of the same motor.  It was slightly underpowered with that, but the 70 is just right.  I probably put more hours on the 60, in the first 10 years (much of it on the big O) as I have on the 70 over the last 21.    

I only fish Lake Ontario on days when the wind was favorable.  I usually launch at Wilson or Olcott harbors, and if the waves were high, I go up the creeks for largemouth bass instead of out on the lake for salmon.  That boat will do it all, but nothing quite perfect.  

It takes a good wind driven wave on the big lakes, but sucks on boat wakes.  Mostly, I drift the Upper Niagara or the St Lawrence rivers at times and in places when and where there are not many other boats around.  

• 1 month later...

So I sold it . Now to those who contacted me here, being so old I did want to sell it to anyone I was even remotely connected to .

Decent guy with a young family , just wants to take his kids out a few times a year,and see if boats were for him . I took him out and showed him the ropes , from launching, starting , driving ,fueling and on and on .

I knew he’d go through the old boat and upgrade what I let go over the 50 years it’s been in our family .

He didn’t try to “ deal “ on the price ,so I got  the “ box” out, extra prop, winterizing stuff, spark plug wrench and more .oh and I tossed  in a combo set of O’Brien skis and a tube .

he sent me this pic today 

08ECD343-D8A9-4813-A84B-09498F1C3537.jpeg

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Nice!  Good to know boats gonna generate a lot more smiles. 

Thanks . There have been multiple generations of my family that used that boat ,since the mid ‘70s . I’m thrilled to see another young family use it . I let a lot go , lights haven’t worked in 30 years, nor has horn , bow and stern  lines were old ski ropes, tires were old, but I only towed it three miles to the Bay .

This guy is going through it all , which is great ! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Belo said:

so the obvious question is, did you upgrade or are you now boatless? 

Can’t upgrade from that ! Im 63, been going out in boats every summer since ‘59, ok maybe ‘60 . Cottage was built then not sure when dad got first boat . ZERO interest in another .

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thats a sharp looking boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks a ‘65 ! Covered every night even at the cottage in a hoist . Stored inside every winter , and not  in rat and squirrel infested barns . It only half sunk once, motor completely under water . Dried it out , I think it ran better after !

46448553-9BF4-4534-B35C-851FBCDCE3D9.jpeg

033000E9-0EC1-4A9C-A9A4-D0C6A67BDCF6.jpeg

C9103726-ABCA-441C-A857-319C3192E0BC.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1