Sandy gave us a royal _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !

First-light

That was one of the first things that came to mind when I saw some of the pictures of devastation. I know that we have a lot of people on this forum that are from Long Island, and I feared the worst for them. I often whine about the one or two days per year when the water comes up and covers the front of our driveway so that I am locked in for a few hours (never any erosion or damage). But after seeing what occurred down there, I probably will appreciate just how mild that slight inconvenience really is. I cannot imagine going through flooding that involves ruining my house. That goes way beyond "inconvenience". I hope you all escaped serious damage and all came through this safely.

Long Island looks like a war zone in certain areas. i was in St James, Setauket, Port Jeff Station,Coram and Selden areas doing damage assessments for work.....incredible to see trees 3' in diameter snapped like toothpicks. The flooding in other areas is astronomical. The power of Mother Nature is insane. Hope everyone was safe....thats the only important thing. Everything else can get replaced. Don't know when I'll be out hunting again.......im on mandatory 12 hr shifts 7 days a week at work till further notice. Good luck to anyone venturing out in the next few days. I'm sure the woods are a mess.....be careful out there.

I spent all day working out in the rockaways in Queens. The devastation is absolutely mind blowing. I have never seen anything like it. Hopefully FEMA will actually help at something this time and help these people. But we were running around just trying to fix things. I work for the NYC Department of Envrionemtal Protection. Our treatment plant down there was flooded and the control rooms were filled with water. Which means sewage is not flowing there, and was instead backing up during high tide, and flowing into the bay at low tide. Real mess down there, hopefully we can get the plant up and running tonight.

Although I have no power in Cold Spring harbor and 4 tree's down and I havent Seen my house in 4 days,Im not complaining.Im NYPD and have been on 12 hour shifts since monday.The destruction and loss that I've seen in the Rockaway's and Staten Island is beyond words.A 5 FT wall of water hit Staten Island and traveled 1.5 miles inland I.E. a mimi sunomi. We spent the last several days doing water rescues and house to house searchs for bodies.Keep these people in your thoughts,Hundreds of family's have lost every thing they own,House,cars ect.

I'm ok in my section of Oyster Bay. We were lucky. Actually got power back last night. The areas around me were not so lucky. Major damage in all surrounding areas. Everywhere you look trees are down, wires are down. I have not heard of any looting stories on LI, but I see long lines at any service station where gas becomes available. There may be trouble if gas continues to be scarce. I am typing this from the internet in my office. I'm at work being completely useless since I can't reach most of my clients by phone. Good luck and be safe everyone.

Lucky to have only minor damages. Lost a window and a boat tarp and a bunch of tree branches. Lucky to have power, internet, tv and phone the day after. The damage is unreal. Have not heard of any looting but they are getting into fights at the gas stations... Many are still running generators and are low on fuel. It will be at least 2 weeks before this is taken care of... I have about 5 telephone polls down in my area. Using the laptop at work because the power is only on partialy... It's pretty bad.

Sucks because hunting vacation #2 was suppose to start saturday but that is going to have to wait. Not even sure the area I hunt is open...

Although I have no power in Cold Spring harbor and 4 tree's down and I havent Seen my house in 4 days,Im not complaining.Im NYPD and have been on 12 hour shifts since monday.The destruction and loss that I've seen in the Rockaway's and Staten Island is beyond words.A 5 FT wall of water hit Staten Island and traveled 1.5 miles inland I.E. a mimi sunomi. We spent the last several days doing water rescues and house to house searchs for bodies.Keep these people in your thoughts,Hundreds of family's have lost every thing they own,House,cars ect.

Thanks for your service. You sound like a good cop.

Another hidden aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Now all the gas stations have ran out of gas. One gas station that still had gas was so crowded, cops had to stand guard because fights were breaking out. I guess this is a little taste of the SHTF scenerios.

• Like 1

Gas is super scarce, lines of 100 cars or more at stations that actually have gas, I feel super lucky as i have no damage and all power internet ect... was back on by 2pm tuesday, my heart goes out to those who are in distress