Show me your recurves.

Skillet

I've been jonesing for a new recurve. Nothing wrong with my old Black Bear, but I'd like something new to play with.

Settled on a Kodiak Hunter. Of course, no one has one in lefty. Not even Bear. 

I called Bear today, and they said if I ordered one now, it would be an 8 month wait!

Must be they're hurting for workers or something. 

So, I called 3 Rivers archery and backordered one in #45. I think it will be worth the wait. Looks like a beautiful bow.

Until then, the old one will be fine. 

I practice a lot, and feel confident to 20yds, but have yet to score with traditional gear.

Think I'll go to all recurve this season.

Let's see your hunting recurves / longbow setups, and any traditional kills you've made.633914697_Screenshot_20220518-1957422.thumb.png.4a1328c2ab461bde8fc174a4a79312cb.png

• Like 6

I don't have any pictures but when I was 16 my sister bought me a Bear recurve for Christmas. It's 43 years old. I have it at the cabin. I shot it a bit but never hunted with it. Do you think it is safe to restring and shoot? Love to take a deer with it. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, airedale said:

I still have the first bow I ever bought, in the center is my Bear Super Kodiak recurve that goes back to the late sixties. Don't bow hunt much these days but I still enjoy and do a lot of shooting.

Al

2020-09-08_123429.png

Love the Oneida. My first deer was with one.

2 minutes ago, First-light said:

I don't have any pictures but when I was 16 my sister bought me a Bear recurve for Christmas. It's 43 years old. I have it at the cabin. I shot it a bit but never hunted with it. Do you think it is safe to restring and shoot? Love to take a deer with it. 

Lots of decades old bears still being shot out there. As long as it's not cracked or doesn't have any bad limb twist, and the limb tips are in good shape, I would think it'd be ok. 

Just make sure to use a stringer to string it. I was told stringing them by the limb behind your leg method can really damage them.

Maybe get a new string, and use that instead of the old one. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Lots of decades old bears still being shot out there. As long as it's not cracked or doesn't have any bad limb twist, and the limb tips are in good shape, I would think it'd be ok. 

Just make sure to use a stringer to string it. I was told stringing them by the limb behind your leg method can really damage them.

Maybe get a new string, and use that instead of the old one. 

Thank you I will!

Hell yeah great thread. All mine are in my barn so I'll post pictures tomorrow if I remember. I spent all of last year only hunting recurve during bow season. Went one for one shot wise. Really rewarding and I'm done with compound forever. 

Forget compound vs crossbow we need a recurve season before the $1500 compound bows join the party. 

Joking but I find it hilarious that some compound guys whine and cry about crossbow season yet their equipment is just as good. Hunt to your own preference and worry about others never.

• Like 3

I have several recurves and long bows even one I made, l will have to take some pictures. I was just shooting my Morrison Cheyenne tonight it’s a takedown with macassar ebony riser , I have three sets of limbs for it 41lb carbon foam long bow limbs, 52 and 61 recurve limbs.  This buck I shot with the 41 lb limbs at 9 yards , complete pass through with eclipse two blade broadhead. 

29CD3ABF-3998-4B45-AAA6-FCC6257CCD52.jpeg

• Like 5

Nothing special, 45lb sage samick. Blackout hunter x 400's with some muzzy 125's. I haven't been fortunate enough to harvest a deer with it yet,  but I'm shooting pie plates out to 25yds.

Also cold steel Tim Wells blow dart gun that works great for squirrels and bunnies if you can hit them.

20220521_102656.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sorry so many posts, this site is kind of funky with my pics sometimes. 

This is my last one for tonight; a Pennsylvania 3pt BEFORE Gary Alt rewrote the PA deer management system.  1986 IIRC.........

IMG_7658(1).jpg.8975c916d471f6fd4d176789c5ebf775.jpg

Don't apologize. Thanks for sharing the pics.

You've had some great kills with traditional gear. That really says something about your skills. Impressive!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sorry so many posts, this site is kind of funky with my pics sometimes. 

This is my last one for tonight; a Pennsylvania 3pt BEFORE Gary Alt rewrote the PA deer management system.  1986 IIRC.........

IMG_7658(1).jpg.8975c916d471f6fd4d176789c5ebf775.jpg

You are a strait killer. That's a true ability!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

• Thanks 1

Geeze Law, you did good with the stick and string.  You made it sound like a struggle.  Lol. I have owned quite a few but I always revert back to my black widow.   I did shoot one with the kodiak mag from the ground and a couple others.   

FBB3E538-F761-4ECA-9E8D-68F235A8E3DD.jpeg

1A77BA75-3463-4EBF-950E-DC61561797EA.jpeg

• Like 11

I'm sure I posted this before in General Chit Chat at the time, but this is another recurve I have in my collection.  My 8 year old granddaughter is learning to shoot it and wants to go deer hunting with a recurve.  It's a Browning youth model but only 25 lb pull.  I think it's a Nomad.

The last pic is the day she went to a renaissance festival and fell in love with archery.

CED293.JPG

CED294.JPG

CED241.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

I've never given my trad bows a fair chance out in the field. Its not that I can't get deer within my comfort range or that I couldn’t get it done. When I take them out I feel like I'm in a different mindset. Content to just watch the woods vs being on a freezer filling mission. I might have to take sights off my compounds to make the recurves useful. Lol

Bear Superkodiak (they sent me this new one after mine delaminated due to a factory defect. Ive had it a while but have barely shot it).

More to come.....

20220622_224127.jpg20220622_224154.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My keeper til it breaks .....a Bruin Custom Huntmaster Express TD. Shot a borrowed one during a league yrs ago and finally found one to call my own. It shoots like a dream compared to even other really nice bows of others I've shot. Cast is better and draw is so smooth without stacking it feels 10 lbs lighter. Should probably get a couple strings for it, but still figuring out where it shoots best when I have time.20220622_224407.jpg20220622_224420.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2