2022 Turkey Harvest Thread? Where is it? lol

LET EM GROW

One tagged filled so far. It's been tough here in the fingerlakes region. Buddies of mine who are turkey killing machines are really struggling this year too. Just a really low number of huntable birds. A lot of the gobblers are still henned up. 

IMG_20220507_061902064_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220507_161050~2.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 7

I have heard gobbling almost every day, tagged out and called a big bird in for a friend yesterday. 3/4 of my birds were on public and I think I have had 20+ redheaded birds visible. It is definitely a different kind of season but my best one ever.

I owe it to a great wife and lots of work. I take the whole month off and usually get back to life after I fill My second tag. I'm very fortunate, but like Bill I also scout all of April and not with binos and checking fields. I get in the woods and look for sign. I dont crow call and I don't roost birds at night. I just grind for 5 hard weeks if that's what it takes.

First time I've been able to walk out my back door and harvest an animal. So glad I bought a house right next to a property I already hunt. 5/12 heard him gobble on the roost a few times but flew away from me. Could only hunt until 830am because I had to work so I figured I'd check the big field before heading home. Didn't see any turkey's but there was a hawk and once he saw me he flew away and screeched and that caused a shock gobble. I get set up real quick in some really thick brush. Set a hen decoy to my right a bit knowing he'd come from my left. Once I was set I gave some soft clucks and I see the periscope head pop up. He struts for quite a while at 80 yards then starts to lose interest. Hit him with some soft yelps and he makes his way over. Had him at 10 yards for a while but couldn't shoot through that thick stuff. He starts walking away so I had to crawl out of the brush a bit when he wasn't looking and wait for him to put his head down to get my gun up. When his head came back up, I knocked it back down. 40 yards with the mossberg 500 20 gauge. 19 pounds, 8 or 9 inch beard(can't remember exactly) and little 5/8 in spurs. Had to be a 2 year old I would guess 0b0caba7ef989fc7a7cd150a2143a773.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Certainly a different season in ny, bird numbers in my area are way down so I changed up area to hunt. Most areas were an hour to 2 hour drive. Pa has been different also with fewer birds so scouting has been key as always.
Had a lot of fun, put on a little over 7000 miles between scouting and hunting in ny, pa and west Virginia. Tagged out yesterday morning in pa and am currently listening to birds hammer on both sides of the truck, LOL imay have a disease.

10ee3c54505325c142749f8e470f21cb.jpg8c1eb01f93bb3bb6128e2063ca83334f.jpgd22b68562273e106472420e782496b88.jpg89013ab1a5fafc408adcceaff97037c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

• Like 8