unbelievably dissapointed

TreeGuy

There really is no excuse for this taxidermist. He should have a fool-proof system set up just for customer capes. He should have a number assigned to each customer, and when he capes out their deer, he should be stamping that customers number into their cape. Then when the capes come back from the tannery there won't be any problem for him to get them straight. Same goes for the antlers; they should be tagged with the customers name and # as soon as the customer drops off the deer..you need to get this fixed man.

I gotta chime in as this is near and dear to my heart....... I had a huge Rio Grande Turkey full body mounted with the nitrogen frozen head that was an absolute monster. Shot him with my bow. Called my dad that night to share the story. Last time I got to share a story with my dad as he passed soon after.

I was excited to get my bird back. Opened the crate and the damn bird had some 'jake' head on it. It was the saddest and maddest day of my life. Even though the bird is still an awesome mount, it's just not the same. I know that it's wrong. Everytime I see the bird, instead of having great memories, I am pissed that the head is wrong.

The taxidermist got an earful and ended up agreeing to refund my money.

If it's not right, it's not right. The true trophy is in the memories with your dad, but make sure the mount on the wall reflects what you want from the deer.

Hunting is more than a mount, it's the memories and the time spent creating our heritage, and sharing the legacy of our elders.

Enjoy your time with your Dad in the woods.... that's the true trophy!

Edited by Huntingbum

So. My dad called him and long story short, the guy said they are right and he has a tagging system for the capes/ antlers. Hes wrong, i know it. Pics dont lie. My dad just gave me the go-ahead to call him and have him look at the pics compared to mounts. I handle things differently than my ole man so it took some convincing. Ill be calling him before season is over to get this figured out.... ill keep u posted. U guys are right to, this has tainted my memorys forever and cant change it, sux!

Sorry to see and hear that you were not treated fair I hope the guy makes it right but theres a saying I always live by ( nothing cheep is good and nothing good is cheep ) and in life it is very true there are a lot of cheats out there sorry abouy the mess you have I would have been at the guys door the next day

Hunting is more than a mount, it's the memories and the time spent creating our heritage, and sharing the legacy of our elders.

Enjoy your time with your Dad in the woods.... that's the true trophy!

This is the reason for my mounts,to live the memories.My deer mounts are all done in a pose that I saw the deer in,some ae at the time of the shot or when I first saw him.

So. My dad called him and long story short, the guy said they are right and he has a tagging system for the capes/ antlers. Hes wrong, i know it. Pics dont lie. My dad just gave me the go-ahead to call him and have him look at the pics compared to mounts. I handle things differently than my ole man so it took some convincing. Ill be calling him before season is over to get this figured out.... ill keep u posted. U guys are right to, this has tainted my memorys forever and cant change it, sux!

Leave the chainsaw home...lol

• Like 1

It's depressing to read this and the turkey story. Sometimes bad things happen at the taxidermist shop; a cape is accidentally harmed or whatever. I see guys on the taxidermy forums often in the wanted to buy section looking for replacement capes, birds, etc. I feel bad for both parties; I've thawed birds before and had a bunch of the feathers slip, and it really bites because I've got a bird I can't mount to look the way it did before, and it's no one's fault really. But it is on the taxidermist to be HONEST about what happened, and offer the client his or her options as to ways to fix or at least amend the situation. It's never okay to just go ahead and complete the mount incorrectly and hope no one notices.

Leave the chainsaw home...lol

Ill consider it! Thanks all for the sympathy, i appreciate it. He lives about a mile from me so im in no rush, id rather just wait till season is over and deal with it then. Its not like i switched em myself and he got a call the next day... i wont just let this slide!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we went back and forth for a bit, but he admitted that he made a mistake. He told me he could either try and switch them, give me a free mount next year or give me the labor back.... i took the money ( obviously). Im happy with the outcome and im glad he admitted his mistakes. Now ill put that towards an 1100/1187 for the ole man for christmas. I think he will be happy too. !