Rough Rough Morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeerLogic

Well this mornings hunt will have to go down as "I should have stayed in bed". Started off with opening the dryer, and hunting cloths not dry. Guess someone forgot to turn on the dryer. Wasn't me!!!!! But of course I was blamed by the wife. So I took the blame, we grabed other cloths, and headed to the woods. Climbed into the stand, which is about 30ft in the air. Within 30 seconds of being in the stand, I drop my hat out of the stand., and of course that is not a scent attractant you want to use. So it was back down the tree to get it, and back up. After about a minute of being back in the stand, I start getting stuff out of my backpack. I pull out my camera arm for the tree, set it on the seat, turn to the left to screw in the attachment, and knock the arm off the seat. Of course, all the way to the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention that it hit the ladder steps 3 times on the way down. I'll tell you what metal to metal in the early a.m. makes a whole lotta freaken noise. Again down the tree, and back up. This time in the tree I get completely set!!!!!!!!! It gets to be about 15 minutes after light, so I reach for my grunt call, pull it out of my pack, and it decides to jump right out of my hand, hit the ladder once, and then fall all the way to the ground.

At this point I was not going back down the tree again. So I decided to sit, and about 40 minutes later, I get an attack of "I have to go to the bathroom, and I have to go now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I figured that after alerting all the deer within 10 miles that I was hunting atleast twice, and about to make a mess of my self, that my morning hunt was over. Sometimes you have hunts that you will never forget, and you don't even see the first deer. LOL

I will say that my wife, and father-in-law got a kick out of this when they just heard the story, hope everyone else enjoys it too. Now I'm going to go back to bed where I should have stayed LOL LOL LOL .

• Like 1

I've had those kinds of hunts. But usually they involve forgetting some vital piece of equipment, or a wind direction that decides to cover every direction after I have gotten all hunkered in (Like yesterday afternoon's hunt).

And then speaking of dropping things, I remember dropping my bow out of my stand back in the days when I still hunted from the trees. I remember that bow hitting the bottom eccentric and bouncing almost half way back up. I couldn't believe that it wasn't broken.

And of course there is the classic jumping of a huge buck just as you get to your stand, or worse yet a group of does who spend the next 15 minutes blowing and stomping and announcing your arrival to every deer within anywhere that a deer might come from.

Sometimes things just fight you. And you're right. Those are days when you probably should have stayed in bed.

It happens to all of us , I dropped my grunt call this morning, went down and got it. Back up the tree only to knock it off the seat again after gettig situated. I didn't go back down for it. But things like this are what makes all the hunting stories, that we tell over and over at camp. and now on this forum. Its all fun , but we can't let our guard down when it comes to safety, getting in and out of our stands . Usually in a hurry and ticked off.

if it can go wrong it will. I've dropped my bow out of the tree twice luckily with out too much damage happening to the bow. One of the times I climb down (using a climber, so you have to strap and unstrap...) I grab my bow and realize that I left my rope in my pack, which was still in the tree. Climb up get rope, climb down , climb back up, get set up again, drop quiver with all my arrows, climb down get quiver, climb back up sit the rest of the morning all sweaty and pissed of. Saw nothing! Big surprise !!

Glad its not just me. LOL

Ya a first for me yesterday, nocked bow out of the holder I have on the bottom platform of my climber takin my pack off... Did the whole song and dance back down n back up to then drop my glove ... Wasn't goin back down for that... Froze my hand the rest of the sit... Lesson learned , pull bow up LAST after everything is situated...

A couple of years ago one of my buddies drove all the way to hunting camp in his wife's car to save on gas. Got out, got suited up, opened his gun case and went to take off the trigger lock only to remember that the key was in his truck over an hour away. Luckily for him, I always bring 2 guns to hunting camp.

Another buddy one year walked all the way to his stand (1/2-3/4 mile from camp) climbed up, got settled in, only to realize he left his bullets in his other coat. Needless to say, since I was only a couple hundred yards away, over the radio I hear-

"Chief....Chief"

"What?"

"Can you bring me some bullets?"

"What? Bullets?"

"Yes, bullets. I forgot mine in my other coat"

"Are you F*€@$#% kidding me? I'll be there in a few minutes."

I almost didn't bring them to him. But, it is hunting camp.

• Like 1

So nice to hear everyone else's drop stories. LOL Some funny situations we get our selves into in the woods.

I am part of the dropping the bow out of the stand club also. 2 years ago my bow played pin-ball with a cedar tree. Bow survived, but I do think the tree won the battle. Especially since my whole quiver of arrows was broken. I will say that one by far has been my worst drop to date.

I will say that I made it through the whole evening hunt without dropping anything. I was on the ground, but hey baby steps. LOL

I drop things al the time. But years ago I bought a little device that you can lower on your rope or haul string and it will pick up almost anything. Not sure where i got it but a search on google you can probably find something similar. It has four springy wires that fold into its body when pulled out can hook into any loose things like hats or gloves or straps. Its main body has a strong magnet in it which will pick up metal objects. It has not failed me yet. As far as the urge to go, it wont help you there..

Good luck rest of season.

JIM

• Like 1

I drop things al the time. But years ago I bought a little device that you can lower on your rope or haul string and it will pick up almost anything. Not sure where i got it but a search on google you can probably find something similar. It has four springy wires that fold into its body when pulled out can hook into any loose things like hats or gloves or straps. Its main body has a strong magnet in it which will pick up metal objects. It has not failed me yet. As far as the urge to go, it wont help you there..

Good luck rest of season.

JIM

Yeah, I saw that thing recently. I think I will pick one up. I like usefull gadjets that actually work..

Not a drop story but--

Last weekend my husband and I were out turkey hunting with my dad, and we were hunting a ridge. We keep in touch via radio, he's getting a bit older and I want to make sure he's okay every few hours. We check in every hour or so, then turn the radio off to conserve batteries in-between. After he'd had enough, my dad walked down the (very steep!) sidehill to exit the woods, and we had our hourly check-in. My husband and I worked our way down the ridge so that we could drop down the hill to him and call it a day, when I saw something-- don't ask me how I saw it, nor how we just happened to walk by that exact spot (we weren't walking logging roads), but I looked over and there was my dad's camo hunting seat. We went to pick it up and next to it were his various expensive turkey calls! We would never have seen them if we hadn't walked by that exact spot and seen the seat somehow. Now, my dad is always ribbing us for minor stuff.. so we decided to get him back. We hit the seat and calls in my husband's pack and walked down the hill to find him flaming angry! "Why didn't you turn your radios on!? I left my calls back up in the woods, now we gotta climb this cliff! (it's really hard for him to do with two bad knees)", etc and so on. Well, we handed him his calls and he calmed down, and then we showed him the seat and then he was really embarassed-- he didn't even realize he'd forgotten it!! Now I can finally live down the time I left a camo jacket in the woods! He liked to remind me every time we go hunting of that incident (hey, I was 12 at the time..).

Ya a first for me yesterday, nocked bow out of the holder I have on the bottom platform of my climber takin my pack off... Did the whole song and dance back down n back up to then drop my glove ... Wasn't goin back down for that... Froze my hand the rest of the sit... Lesson learned , pull bow up LAST after everything is situated...

Unreal!! I was just talking about this yesterday and this morning I knock my bow out of the holder but luckily just caught it by the string silencer

I used to snag bunker to use for blues and strippers and have a bunch if weighted treble hooks that I no longer use. Since it dropped so many things from my stand I decided to clip the points off the hooks and tie it to a long para cord which grabs everything...saved lots of trips up and down.

ya....like climbing the tree with the climber and strapping in and ready to pull up bow and i forgot to tie the tag rope to the bow.

Or drop my gloves or hat or had my release break on me once while test pulling my bow in stand.Bent my rest and lost a brand new arrow and Rage 2 BH.Searched for 2 hrs for that arrow.

Forget quiver and arrows,get way out in state land with out my primers for my MZL.Man i have done some stupid things.

I think if we spend enough time in the woods we all do the stupid things and drop forget fall etc. Last year I was in my treestand got cold said I QUIT and was getting down so I unload my shotgun go to get the rope to tie it up and get it down. I go to put it on the stand and slippty do da down it goes. I am very happy I was taught to always be safe with a gun and it was unloaded but it did take a 20-25ft fall on to a stone wall. Back to the range I went tail between my legs. It happens to everyone.

I rushed out to the woods late this season, got into my stand hooked my harness up extremely quick and sat down. I watched for 5 minutes and felt if something was off, checked the harness, seat, etc. Finally it dawned on me that I left my Bow in the truck. Whoops.

I rushed out to the woods late this season, got into my stand hooked my harness up extremely quick and sat down. I watched for 5 minutes and felt if something was off, checked the harness, seat, etc. Finally it dawned on me that I left my Bow in the truck. Whoops.

That just made me laugh out loud sitting here all alone at my desk! Way to funny!!!