Disturbing image

Guns&ReligionCop

Probaly because like a few here you lack experience in bow hunting but still think you know everything.. Just a guess though.

In my experience if the deer has time to turn around and face you head on after you shoot at him then you should not be shooting a deer at 30y if the equipment you hunt is not capable, it would be considered unethical to take the shot no matter how the deer was standing ..

Just curious did your brother learn from it? or does he wait until the deer is walking away to compensate for the 180 spin

Edited by Odorless

In my experience if the deer has time to turn around and face you head on after you shoot at him then you should not be shooting a deer at 30y if the equipment you hunt is not capable, it would be considered unethical to take the shot no matter how the deer was standing ..

Just curious did your brother learn from it? or does he wait until the deer is walking away to compensate for the 180 spin

Perhaps you should watch this video of deer jumping the string.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=9_B9yrgee5o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9_B9yrgee5o

Chest could mean vitals too, only he knows and after pages of bs I doubt he will bother to post.

your right and if you hit the rump you can also hit artery... whats your point? shooter aimed for the chest, case closed... he didint hit there on accident. chest shot with little to no blood is a lost deer. the shooter got lucky and recovered the deer on a short track. good for him. If he didnt i bet you and many more would be jumping all over him for an ill advised shot choice.

to each is own, i passed a 130" 12 point last season at 20 yards facing me giving me only a chest shot, i ate my buck tag, thats the name of the game...

but honestly i dont care to even get into it with his shot choice any further... it is what it is.

• Like 1

Questioning someone's ethics, morals, or ability on the internet is a waste of time, IMO. As a hunter, the more experience (and bad shots) I have, the more I'm making it a personal effort to become as efficient at cleanly killing anything I shoot at, or just letting it walk. This also means using the most efficient tackle/weapon for the job, as well as concentrating more & more on shot placement.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Lets see....win win all around..

poster got what he wanted

ppl gave their opinions...good bad or indifferent...thats what opinions are

The shooter Killed a nice buck

shooter has been given much to think on..or not

and we won't be seeing any more shots that anyone could question...I'm sure...lol

That really should just about rap this up...IMO

Lets see....win win all around..

poster got what he wanted

ppl gave their opinions...good bad or indifferent...thats what opinions are

The shooter Killed a nice buck

shooter has been given much to think on..or not

and we won't be seeing any more shots that anyone could question...I'm sure...lol

That really should just about rap this up...IMO

I don't really see this as a win-win at all. Threads like these just turn off a lot of new hunters from posting and lower hunter participation in general. Hunter encouragement is what need, not bashing of deer that's down.

Truth of the matter is, you can't police ethics. You can only encourage it. And by the looks of the way some of the folks here "encourage", I personally wouldn't share anything but perfect shots on this forum. Sounds a like a lose-lose to me.

Why did this get reposted? Poor judgement in shot, great result, dead deer. Whats that add up to, case closed... :banghead: . I think who everyone should be b**tching at is the guy who reposted it, what a d-bag if you ask me.

I reposted it because I wanted to discuss it possibly with the actual shooter himself but the other forum wasn't the proper place. If that makes me a d-bag by all means but I thought thats what hunting forums were for. Why don't you act a little more cultured and say something like it was a poor decision for me to repost it we are all grown ups here.

ShawnHU, I'm assuming you do little to no bow hunting. In archery you don't aim for the femoral artery, ever! Yes there are several vital locations on a deer. The neck, the femoral artery in the leg, another artery under the spine and all poor ideas to shoot at with a bow. Deer do things like "Duck" arrows and "Jump" the bowstring. This is another major reason to only take good shots that are broadside or slightly quartering anything else is foolish. This particular fellow could have had a better shot than it looks like in the picture but the way it was hit I doubt it. Deer usually spin away from the noise not towards it and if they "jump" the string the first thing they do isn't actually ducking but dropping to load their leg muscles before they leap up.

The reason I reposted it again is because it something that people wanted to dscuss but there was no thread for it and it was quickly being monitored because the shooter began breaking the rules of this site, foul language, name calling etc... Doewhacker private messaged him so I'm assuming he will be on here to explain and tell the whole story so we can make an honest assesment. We all have made bad shots but this maybe a great example of what happens with poor angles and shots that we shouldn't take.

Threads like these just turn off a lot of new hunters from posting and lower hunter participation in general. Hunter encouragement is what need, not bashing of deer that's down.

I feel that it's more of an education to people new to bowhunting. If you knew no better and saw the shot in the other thread and all you heard were "good job" "attaboy" , you may assume that it's a shot worth attempting yourself, which it isn't.

This thread makes that point apparent, and maybe it will make a new hunter think twice about trying it. I seriously doubt it's going to affect anyones desire to post or participate, unless what they were going to post was "hey look at this hilarious shot I made at this deers eye/face/neck/testicles etc" and if it does prevent them posting such a thing, then obviously this post has helped them learn that such shots are not considered ethical and are frowned upon by others.

• Like 3

i agree with shaun and doe wacker.i dont think it was a good shot but if it didnt happen to you or you werent filming it you will never know the circumstances you could only guess.i also like the elite hunter comment-totally agree with some people.i think if some ever made a bad shot and got lucky and killed an animal they would never write the truth especiall arguing this point how would they look.again it looks like a terible shot and i doubt anyone would be bragging about it,but like i said i was there and you can only speculate.sort of how some of the masters in the forum can score deer so weel from teririble pictures people post and are arragant and argue the point.no one can score a deer by a picture and come so close even if they think they are so good at it.i killed a nice buck last year and in some pictures it doesnt look so big and other it looks way bigger than it was.so why argue with some one about what your opinion is remember you can have an opinion but dont have to be a jerk about your opinion even if you are right.thats just my opinion,i laugh when some guys score to the point like when the see a 152 inch 8 point and see so many close to the same size where they hunt on the island.cant say it s not ppossible bu difficult with just a 8 point

Well, I don't know about deer scoring. I've never scored a deer in my life or even have a desire to do so.

But in terms of the comments on this thread about that shot, it really doesn't bother me a bit that people are coming down hard on this kind of shot selection. Perhaps it was some innocent deal where the deer moved into that kind of hit. His comments don't seem to indicate that but I suppose anything is possible. But the good news is that through this thread, the point is being made in very strong terms that head-on shots are low percentage shots that normally turn out very badly. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't know that. So, if that's the only good to come from this thread, then it was well worth posting. When the guy that got this deer gets back, he can describe where he was trying to shoot him. His comment of, "thanks even know it was a bad shot but dead is dead", seems to indicate that the shot selection was exactly the way it looks. But anyway, this very educational thread maybe has changed a few minds about shooting deer that are face-on or severely quartering at you. I hope so. As far as Myke is concerned, he will have the chance to set the record straight if the assumptions are incorrect.

• Like 1

you know, a few years ago while during rifle season my younger brother shot a small 6 point with his 300. blew his jaw clean off. didnt kill the deer, luckily, his FIL killed it a little later on. I was very dissappointed. deer was facing him, and it turned his head, and he took a head shot. I coulda punched him in the face, because he knows better. We werent brought up and taught that way. I am not sure of the distance, I never asked. It was an impulsive gotta have it shot. I told him, patience pays off. I was very mad at him for that.

In regard to the picture (THAT is what this thread was started for) I would never take a picture of an animal with an arrow protruding from any part of the body, especially the face.

Whenever I can, all pics are taken before field dressing in a somewhat tasteful set up.

Having respect for the game comes in many forms, from shot decisions to proper equipment (sighted in guns,sharp broadheads) and pictures.

Nobody has screwed up more than me, NOBODY. All you can do at this point is learn from it.

you know, a few years ago while during rifle season my younger brother shot a small 6 point with his 300. blew his jaw clean off. didnt kill the deer, luckily, his FIL killed it a little later on. I was very dissappointed. deer was facing him, and it turned his head, and he took a head shot. I coulda punched him in the face, because he knows better. We werent brought up and taught that way. I am not sure of the distance, I never asked. It was an impulsive gotta have it shot. I told him, patience pays off. I was very mad at him for that.

Tell the truth. Did you give 'em a wedgy?

In regard to the picture (THAT is what this thread was started for) I would never take a picture of an animal with an arrow protruding from any part of the body, especially the face.

Whenever I can, all pics are taken before field dressing in a somewhat tasteful set up.

Having respect for the game comes in many forms, from shot decisions to proper equipment (sighted in guns,sharp broadheads) and pictures.

Nobody has screwed up more than me, NOBODY. All you can do at this point is learn from it.

Uh oh...back to respect the dead and disemboweled game??? Just don't hang it by the neck..we did that thread already

Edited by crappyice

I'm not sure about respect for the animal, but I must say that it was a pretty disgusting thing to look at. My basic reaction ....... Yuck!

You know, those PETA people would do well to scan these forums from time to time and copy out some of the posts and pictures. Imagine how nice that picture would go in a PETA ad.

on one hand, the deer died quickly, on the other I cant condone even taking the shot at the neck/chest headon.

Ethics and standards are tough. No matter how the majority feel, there are no laws against this. Part of me thinks I'm glad it wasn't gun. The gun headshots sicken me.

The other point to make is that if he didn't want feedback, he shouldn't have posted 4 pictures on a public hunting forum. What'd you expect our response would be?

Well, I don't know about deer scoring. I've never scored a deer in my life or even have a desire to do so.

But in terms of the comments on this thread about that shot, it really doesn't bother me a bit that people are coming down hard on this kind of shot selection. Perhaps it was some innocent deal where the deer moved into that kind of hit. His comments don't seem to indicate that but I suppose anything is possible. But the good news is that through this thread, the point is being made in very strong terms that head-on shots are low percentage shots that normally turn out very badly. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't know that. So, if that's the only good to come from this thread, then it was well worth posting. When the guy that got this deer gets back, he can describe where he was trying to shoot him. His comment of, "thanks even know it was a bad shot but dead is dead", seems to indicate that the shot selection was exactly the way it looks. But anyway, this very educational thread maybe has changed a few minds about shooting deer that are face-on or severely quartering at you. I hope so. As far as Myke is concerned, he will have the chance to set the record straight if the assumptions are incorrect.

well put doc... There are guys who do not know better and one can only learn from it. I've been noticing many new hunters on this forum so it's food for thought for them...

I don't know why anyone can still argue the fact "oh we don't know where the hunter was aiming" well, if you followed the hunters harvest post he specifically said he was aiming for the chest. Hmmm, I guess at that point we do need a camera man to determine if it's true? Lol

I'll take his word for it, clear as day...

i agree with shaun and doe wacker.i dont think it was a good shot but if it didnt happen to you or you werent filming it you will never know the circumstances you could only guess.i also like the elite hunter comment-totally agree with some people.i think if some ever made a bad shot and got lucky and killed an animal they would never write the truth especiall arguing this point how would they look.again it looks like a terible shot and i doubt anyone would be bragging about it,but like i said i was there and you can only speculate.sort of how some of the masters in the forum can score deer so weel from teririble pictures people post and are arragant and argue the point.no one can score a deer by a picture and come so close even if they think they are so good at it.i killed a nice buck last year and in some pictures it doesnt look so big and other it looks way bigger than it was.so why argue with some one about what your opinion is remember you can have an opinion but dont have to be a jerk about your opinion even if you are right.thats just my opinion,i laugh when some guys score to the point like when the see a 152 inch 8 point and see so many close to the same size where they hunt on the island.cant say it s not ppossible bu difficult with just a 8 point

Wah wah Wah.... Always with the same jabs. Give it up. If you don like what you read, leave. Otherwise understand this is an open forum with an ungodly amount of opinons. You said it yourself everyone is entitled to their opinions and don't be a jerk about it. Take your own advise.