Milsurp Rifles anyone?

Caveman

Does anyone here besides myself hunt with old Milsurp (military surplus) rifles?  I myself hunt with an old Mosin-Nagant 91/30.  For those who aren't familiar with these guns it was the standard issue Russian Infantry rifle from the late 1800's until the 1965.  It fires a 7.62x54r round.  It's comparable to something between .308 and .30-06 Springfield. I got it at a gun show for $120 and ammo is pretty dirt cheap too.  Works every bit as well as the $800 Remington 700's too.  My only complaint is that it's a boat anchor.  Unloaded weight nearing 9 pounds.

So how about you guys? Anyone else here have an affinity for hunting with a piece of history?

My first buck I shot with my fathers 1933 Oberndorf Mauser, 8x57 mm. It had a Williams aperture and ramp, and a Herters birdseye maple stock on it, otherwise was stock. I still have it. The 8x57 is a great round, in the same field as the .308 and '06.

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes use my old Jap Rifle in 7.7 caliber.  I bought it totally sporterized though, with a Fajen stock,  Weaver scope mount and barrel cut to 22".  It was my first deer rifle at a cost of $60.  It still shoots 2" groups at 100 yards even with that heavy military trigger.  It's fun to take hunting to bring back old memories.

Thanks  ;D

It shoots pretty well , basically just a trigger job, bent bolt, and drill and tap the scope mount. Next time I go to the range Ill post some pics of groupings. BTW normally I do not normally do anything to my C&R guns I cant turn back on. The Swedish Mauser I deer hunt with is dead stock. Same with the rest of my guns. However the Mosins are so plentiful and cheap I did it more to see if I could. Really my first delve into light gunsmithing. Have to say I enjoyed it immensely and I like the results.

• 3 weeks later...

I own several military rifles. I shoot them at the range but never hunt with them. I've got a Garand a Springfield 06 and a Nazi Mauser. All in fine to excellent condition. I had a Chicom 7.62x25 autoloader picked up after a firefight. Guy here just offered too much $$$$ to refuse.

• 2 weeks later...

Since rifles have been legalized here in Steuben Co. I have carried my M1 Garand a few times each season, but I have not had a shot with it yet.. I bought some 5 shot clips for it to make it legal under NYs 5 shot mag requirement for semi autos for big game.. 

I am confident with it up to 100 yards, and hope to bag a deer with it soon.. My loads are a military equivalent with  H4895 and a 150 grain softpoint at around 2700 fps..

Since rifles have been legalized here in Steuben Co. I have carried my M1 Garand a few times each season, but I have not had a shot with it yet.. I bought some 5 shot clips for it to make it legal under NYs 5 shot mag requirement for semi autos for big game.. 

I am confident with it up to 100 yards, and hope to bag a deer with it soon.. My loads are a military equivalent with  H4895 and a 150 grain softpoint at around 2700 fps..

Just curious what brand of soft point you're using in the M1?

I was thinking of trying some Speer Mag-Tips and Rem Cor-Lokt's I had laying around since they have less soft lead exposed at the nose. I noticed those pointy Hornady's I've been using get battered up a bit feeding. I've thought about taking my M1 out hunting as well.

With 48/H4895 and a 150 gr. Hornady SP I am getting 1.8" groups at 100 yds. for 3-shot groups off a benchrest. And that's with those crude sights. Seated w/o a sling hold I can hold 5-shots to 4.5" @ 100 yds. with the peep sights. Not spectacular but I figure that's okay to hunt with.

Fasteddie... Good to hear from a fellow admirer of the M1...

I trained with it in basic training... If I had to go into combat tomorrow, I would not feel undergunned with the Garand, even against today's "spray and pray"  assault rifles..

An example... The Somali Pirates off the coast of Africa... Considering the size of thier boats and  their weaponry, I suspect that a large ship could be quite well defended with a half dozen riflemen armed with M1 Garands..

Setters... I have used the same 150 Hornadys that you have used and currently am using Win 150 Powerpoints... I have had some issues with the soft tips deforming but I'll be darned if I can see any real problems.. They feed and group just as well in my rifle as pristine tips do..

I HAVE loaded some Nosler 165 ballistic tips.. They will  not deform and shoot as well as the  150 soft points, at least in my rifle..

I'll probably continue to use the powerpoints..As far as can see, the deformation is a cosmetic issue, rather than a functional or accuracy issue, as least as far as hunting  dependability or accuracy is concerned..

• 2 months later...

Spray and Pray assault rifles ??? Do you even understand Military issued weaponry ? hahahahahahah

Yes.. I think I am pretty well aware of modern military weaponry...

I supose that was not an apporiate  analogy...Hope I did not offend you...

• 4 weeks later...

I have some milsurp. Nothing exotic, but I didnt buy them to hang on the wall..

My deer gun is a sweede 96 sporter I've been working on over the years. Scoped, turned handle, refinished cut down stock, cut & crowned barrel.

Sweet shooting gun. I have a mostly stock sweede 38 too.

Also, I have 2 '54 russian Sks, a moisin nagant project, and another 8mm GEW project in 243 rockchucker, but its really rough....

• 1 month later...