Dan Wesson

What’s the groups knowledge on Dan Wesson handguns? I know nothing about them. From reading on line they are accurate and reliable. Interested in knowledge especially on the 44 mag with interchangeable barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the groups knowledge on Dan Wesson handguns? I know nothing about them. From reading on line they are accurate and reliable. Interested in knowledge especially on the 44 mag with interchangeable barrels.

@Lawdwaz and @Ron Burgundy should be able to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I own 4 revolvers a .22, .357, .44 and a .177 bb replica. I love their accuracy and forgiveness.  Its a heavy framed revolver so it absorbs alot of the recoil. The hammer is a bit unique as is the cylinder release after you get used to that it's a great revolver. 

I think @Buckmaster7600 could speak on the semi automatic pistols.20220202_143057.thumb.jpg.b47381a089db32856f939fc92f1fc4e8.jpg

• Like 6

I have shot them.  Very accurate revolver. Fondled a 4 barrel  set in 357 mag. If it was 44 or 41 it probably would have gone home with me . $ 2500 plus shipping to get it back  from Missouri dampened my mood further.

Thinking about it now I'm glad I didn't buy it as I probably would have only used the longest barrel for hunting. The rest would have sat in the safe .

42 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I have shot them.  Very accurate revolver. Fondled a 4 barrel  set in 357 mag. If it was 44 or 41 it probably would have gone home with me . $ 2500 plus shipping to get it back  from Missouri dampened my mood further.

Thinking about it now I'm glad I didn't buy it as I probably would have only used the longest barrel for hunting. The rest would have sat in the safe .

The pistol sets go for crazy money. My 357 is a full set and I think it's doubled in value since I bought it.

I have never owned a Dan Wesson revolver but I had a couple of friends that had them in 357 and got the chance to shoot them. I was impressed with their accuracy, from what I saw I believe they will shoot as well as anything. Their front locking cylinder latch was reputed to be the reason behind the fine accuracy as it was said to hold the cylinder chambers in a alignment with the barrel with almost zero play. I remember them to be quite popular for silhouette target shooting back in the day.

The sporting goods store I worked in kept them in stock and we sold quite a few and had glowing reports from customers. The changing of barrels to different lengths is a snap. My only complaint was the grips I shot with did not fit my hand as well as I would have liked.

Al

Very interesting stuff. Long story short I may have a chance at purchasing a Dan Wesson 44 mag. 2 barrels one barrel with a Bushnell 6x scope on it already.

I was thinking about a super red Hawk for hunting but this has come along and peaked my interest a little bit and not only could I get it cheaper than a super red Hawk it was also once owned by someone I knew who has since passed away.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Very interesting stuff. Long story short I may have a chance at purchasing a Dan Wesson 44 mag. 2 barrels one barrel with a Bushnell 6x scope on it already.

I was thinking about a super red Hawk for hunting but this has come along and peaked my interest a little bit and not only could I get it cheaper than a super red Hawk it was also once owned by someone I knew who has since passed away.

I’m a big Ruger guy, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy  a Dan Wesson revolver , and if it’s a great price we’ll that’s just icing on the cake. Don’t forget pictures when you buy it ^_^.  

8 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I’m a big Ruger guy, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy  a Dan Wesson revolver , and if it’s a great price we’ll that’s just icing on the cake. Don’t forget pictures when you buy it ^_^.  

I haven't even shot a super redhawk yet so who knows I may not even like it. I've got plans to shoot the redhawk with a friend here in a few weeks. I'll have to get the Dan Wesson out to the range as well and see what one I like. 

I wasn't planning on buying a new gun just yet. Thankfully there's never a bad time to buy a gun. LOL 

7 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I haven't even shot a super redhawk yet so who knows I may not even like it. I've got plans to shoot the redhawk with a friend here in a few weeks. I'll have to get the Dan Wesson out to the range as well and see what one I like. 

I wasn't planning on buying a new gun just yet. Thankfully there's never a bad time to buy a gun. LOL 

The Red hawk and super red hawk are a bit different , enough so that you may like a super but not a redhawk  or vice versa . 

• Like 1

I have 2 a 8" heavy barrel 357 and a HV-8 44mag. The 44 when I bought it in the 1980's came with 2 barrels. The shroud was ported. You had a ported barrel for jacketed bullets and a non ported one for cast bullets. If you shot cast though the ported barrel you would lock the shroud to the barrel.

The DW 44mag is the only gun I killed 2deer with 1 shot. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rob-c said:

The Red hawk and super red hawk are a bit different , enough so that you may like a super but not a redhawk  or vice versa . 

I love them both . My buddy has a unicorn redhawk blued in 41 mag . I have tried to buy it 3 times . Last refusal was $1500.

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

I love them both . My buddy has a unicorn redhawk blued in 41 mag . I have tried to buy it 3 times . Last refusal was $1500.

Yeah both are great revolvers , one isn’t better than the other . But the grips and actions are different  enough that it makes a difference . 

DW. .22 was my first handgun sometime in the ‘80s, what a great gun , best trigger I’ve ever had,  both in single and double action . Six inch blue , still have it .

Had a 8 inch SS heavy barrel .44 mag ,that sucker ran just under four pounds ,but that helped with the .44’s recoil . Killed a few deer with it . Sold it to a friend of a member here many years back , it was the only DW model he lacked in his collection .

They were / are ? Great guns . DW has gone through a few owners and reincarnations , I know little of todays guns .