Turkey Populaton

Lovetohunt69

I feel like the population is average, however I did see turkeys in different places this year. Also a couple places I expected turkeys to be they didn't make an appearance all season. I can add that because of this lack of turkeys in past places forced me to hunt harder and smarter and in the end I had a killer season and took advantage of lots of public land.

• Like 1

All depend son the location it seems. I have three separate properties that we hunt regularly and one piece of it has pretty good numbers, but they aren't always there a couple stay and the rest make their rounds. Another property is literally zero, haven't heard but 1 mature bird and couple jakes. My camp property had a couple, we took one, and found the other yesterday.. but other than a couple jakes.. numbers are sure down. These properties are all within 4 miles or so.. and we will only take 1-2 birds on any of these properties for the next couple years.. 

The nests don't stand a chance, and the successful hatches don't have the best habitat to survive in either.. There really is a lot to it if you put in a little research. Usually only around 25% or less of the hen population will have a nest actually hatch, once they hatch the next 3 weeks are super critical for poult survival.. They require different habitat than the adults do, and especially deer. They have to survive avian predators, ground and nest predators as well us us humans and our pets.. they are on a struggle for sure. after all this your lucky to only have a hen or two that has poults, and then your lucky sometimes to only have a couple poults survive per hen by Fall.. Even in better populated areas a one bird limit would not be a bad idea.. Our future generation hunters count on this.. and The DEC doesn't seem to care much about it.. Go out west and the birds are literally everywhere!! 

20 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

All depend son the location it seems. I have three separate properties that we hunt regularly and one piece of it has pretty good numbers, but they aren't always there a couple stay and the rest make their rounds. Another property is literally zero, haven't heard but 1 mature bird and couple jakes. My camp property had a couple, we took one, and found the other yesterday.. but other than a couple jakes.. numbers are sure down. These properties are all within 4 miles or so.. and we will only take 1-2 birds on any of these properties for the next couple years.. 

The nests don't stand a chance, and the successful hatches don't have the best habitat to survive in either.. There really is a lot to it if you put in a little research. Usually only around 25% or less of the hen population will have a nest actually hatch, once they hatch the next 3 weeks are super critical for poult survival.. They require different habitat than the adults do, and especially deer. They have to survive avian predators, ground and nest predators as well us us humans and our pets.. they are on a struggle for sure. after all this your lucky to only have a hen or two that has poults, and then your lucky sometimes to only have a couple poults survive per hen by Fall.. Even in better populated areas a one bird limit would not be a bad idea.. Our future generation hunters count on this.. and The DEC doesn't seem to care much about it.. Go out west and the birds are literally everywhere!! 

I am definitely of the belief the numbers are down because of lack of trappers. I have so many coon, Fox, and coyote on my property. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lovetohunt69 said:

I am definitely of the belief the numbers are down because of lack of trappers. I have so many coon, Fox, and coyote on my property. 

I think it all plays a part. Birds are moving closer to people also,  they hide on tree hugger land in my area. 

1 hour ago, Lovetohunt69 said:

There is a lot going on, Fishers are spreading their ranges, and yes there is lots of nest predators around due to little or zero trapping. I learned this year on a hunt that even owls are even an enemy of the turkey at night when their defenseless and during the day when they make their position known.. Turkeys are wanted in every direction. Then throw in a wet spring on a clutch or two that did hatch, survival drops more. When the hen stays on her nest all night long instead of a tree she's prone to predation.. The odds are not in favor for the birds.. and in low pop areas, they wont get better without our help..

Studies also show that if a hen doesn't have a successful hatch in the first couple years, she will typically never have a successful hatch. Ever notice hens nest in really obvious places? That's why, she doesn't know any better and predation is very likely to happen there.. she also typically stays in a small core area for several weeks until the poults can flee from danger .. meaning it really only takes a few acres to keep poults alive until old enough.. not hundreds of acres.. 

If we as sportsman can give better opportunity for these nesting hens to survive, by creating nesting and brooding habitat we are helping them survive and replenishing our future for the bird and our kids.. The state doesnt seem to be helping so we as sportsman and women should be doing our part where we can.. you cant wipe a population down during hunting season, not help them replenish and stay populated then complain about numbers and sightings in following seasons.. that's what makes one a sportsman. 

• Like 1

I got one tom on cam in April. Ive heard gobbling on just one hunt and seen a couple hens. Its a pretty small lot and surrounding fields are being prepped, I wouldnt be surprised if they moved a block or two. Ive also got kids riding quads every night up and down the gasline they typically roost along