Rowing Machine

phade

I definitely prefer the real thing, in the form of my father in law’s 14 ft Meyers, or my (2) 12 ft Sears gamefishers.   It is nice not messing around with a battery and an electric outboard and you see and hear a lot more wildlife when rowing for power compared to running a gas outboard.  

That said, I do train twice weekly, year round with a “rowing machine”.  It is an older model and I wore the seat mechanism out on it last year.  I rebuilt that with some roller bearings and it works better than when new now.  I will check the brand when I get home from work.  

I like that the handle width can be adjusted wide or narrow.  I alternate that monthly to mix things up a bit.  What is also nice about it is that the force applied if directly proportional to velocity, so you can work as hard or easy as you want, just like the real thing.    The machine works your legs also, while the boats I use are mostly just the upper body.  

Edited by wolc123

Concept 2 are where it’s at.
My boy is on it (not as much now as they are on the water) constantly.

We have had it for years and through Covid lockdown it was all my kid did so these things are built to last. We did upgrade the monitor at one point(and sold the other on line) because he needed some other features for some online competition.

Best part is my father in law found it used and it’s been great!

Contact local rowing clubs who often sell the old to replace their fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is the one that I use “Lifestyler Rower”.  It was a combination Rower and Skier but I never used it as a skier and lost the parts for that many years ago.  The wheels and sleeve bearings wore out a few years ago. 

I installed those heavy duty roller bearings under the seat and some angle brackets as guides and it now works better than it did when new.  I use it for 20 minutes most Tuesday and Thursday mornings, year round, switching from wide grip to narrow grip every other month. I split that up into (4) 5 minute sets, alternating palms up and palms down.  After that, I do (2) sets of 50 decline crunches with weights.  My weekday morning workouts take 30 minutes total.  

I do some weight training Monday, Wed and Friday mornings,  and stationary bike, leg extensions with weights, and leg raises (about an hours worth) Monday, Wed, and Fri evenings.  I always look forward to the Tuesday and Thursday morning rowing sessions the most.  It’s kind of like a reward, after busting my ass with the weights on Monday, Wed, and Friday.  

As I mentioned earlier, what I like best about the rower is that you can set your own pace, going as fast or as slow as you want and the resistance force is directly proportional to the speed.  It uses two extension dampers for resistance that are valved for minimal force on the compression stroke (similar effect as oars thru the air in compression or thru the water when pulling). It definitely works your legs and arms at the same time.  

It has no electronics of any kind, but I have an old tv in front of it, and my stationary bikes, with a vcr and DVD player.  
DFDDC443-7FBF-4112-A6FA-B49531EDE3B0.thumb.jpeg.b5f53f05acd9dc21c2e78babf07f70ee.jpeg

F37482E2-5B4F-4A59-9BF5-13E342A591F5.thumb.jpeg.de4b71f6aeee213b49c3d72712af863e.jpeg

• Like 1