Fawn Encounter

GreenDrake

So Saturday I was working on the new property with my tractor, pulling logs, honeysuckle and other undesirables out of one of the hedgerows with my grapple. There is a large tree and huge root ball attached (previous owner dozed the fields to reclaim and pushed everything against the hedgerows. I locked on to the large root ball and lifted and moved the tree, breaking it free from the tangled mess.....and out hobbles a fawn...scared the heck out of me. It "ran" along the hedgerow and I thought I thought I saw it turn a corner in an opening. I called my wife over....I get off the tractor and take a few steps and a fawn is laying down in my tire track along the hedgerow . Back legs are stretched out. I'm thinking I injured it. So I pat its butt....it blats..gets up and "runs" down the hedgerow and into some taller grass. It was not injured. We figure it was born that day and just had wobbly legs. We are unsure if it is the same fawn or a second.  

I left that general area. Later in the day I see mama nervously walking the area looking for her fawn. Yesterday she was back looking again and was right in the tangled area. After she left, I scoured the area and no sign of a live or dead fawn. Broke my heart. I don't know if she ever caught up with the fawn from Saturday. It is sad seeing them looking for their young in a panic. That was my first encounter of that kind and probably won't be my last. I never thought fawns would be in that spot, but then again, why not? It is thick and "safe". I still feel like crap, but I certainly didn't do it on purpose.

• Like 1