Mushroom/foraging 2022

G-Man

I inoculated some hard maple logs with shitake  2 years ago and decided to force them to bloom in time for memorial day weekend..  after a 24 hour soak they are pinning like crazy... still no wild oysters yet as its been cold  maybe this week.. 20220522_104041.thumb.jpg.a500c74e1845f33338477f75ed466044.jpg20220524_111647.thumb.jpg.fe4f532f3223bd901590c791fbe268f1.jpg

Looking forward to steaks on grill with sauted shitake mushrooms and onions

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

Is there a “how to “ (preferably for dummies) on this topic!

I can’t seem to find any morels whenever I look and at oyster I find I’m usually too late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have older post  where i show  innoculation.   Can buy spore online, these were dowels simply drill pound  in and wait.  Takes 6 months to 18 for mycelium to comonize log.  Keep damp and in shade  , forcing like this was done by a 24 hour soak.  But you then need to wait 7 weeks before you can force again.. 

Dont know what your missing, lot different than mushrooms in a can... or jar... 

I didn’t know they came in jar or can. My wife and daughter eat the regular fresh ones from grocery store but I don’t like the taste/texture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, BizCT said:

I didn’t know they came in jar or can. My wife and daughter eat the regular fresh ones from grocery store but I don’t like the taste/texture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are many that yoi would like not sold in stores  chicken of the woods cut into strips and grilled with bbq taste just like chicken strips, the button/ store varieties are fairly mushy..  take a giant puffball and slice it about 3/8 thick  and use as a crust for pizza.. no reason for cauliflower crusts if lookong to be gluten free.  Lions mane can be used as a seafood replacement for crab/ lobster and absorbs flavors readily( also helps boost brain function) . So many to try and  many different textures and tastes .

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mattypotpie8S said:

Thought they were a bit rare in NY? I've only been kinda looking while turkey hunting the past couple years & never happened into one.

Old orchards and elm trees.. best place in ny

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

My sister went and picked us a half 5 gallon bucket of leeks/ramps. We will dilly some like green beans. Plus put some in Italian dressing and seal them with food saver lid sealer in glass canning jars then into beer fridge.

leek tater soup is excellent too. I've heard of some people infusing into butter as well

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

My sister went and picked us a half 5 gallon bucket of leeks/ramps. We will dilly some like green beans. Plus put some in Italian dressing and seal them with food saver lid sealer in glass canning jars then into beer fridge.

The bulbs are big and mild now  perfect for pickling 

• Like 2

G-Man, for whatever reason, I have found more morels in the last week than I ever have in my area. Nice, big ones too. Most years, I find enough for a meal or two over a two to three week span. This week, I have left more than that in the ground. I imagine next spring it will go back to normal.

14 minutes ago, coonhunter said:

G-Man, for whatever reason, I have found more morels in the last week than I ever have in my area. Nice, big ones too. Most years, I find enough for a meal or two over a two to three week span. This week, I have left more than that in the ground. I imagine next spring it will go back to normal.

Are you finding yellow or black morels?

46 minutes ago, coonhunter said:

Wet cold and then heat wave all popping at once and many pickers gave up as bad year only it was just delayed. 

Still no oysters and by now i can usually get 100 lbs  of them.....