Another Mass shooting this time in Texas

First-light

My condolences to the families I can't imagine the pain and suffering they will incur. 

My wife and I met up for lunch after work yesterday. She is a special education principal for high-school kids kicked out of other schools. First thing she tells me is she had to suspend a kid 19 years old for saying he was gonna shoot up the school after an argument with a teacher. She loves this kid but he is very troubled. 

Next thing we see on TV is the incident in Texas. She is shocked to say the least. Shit hits home real quick. I don't enjoy worrying about her but don't have a fix so I will have faith In how she handles her job. 

If kids can't go to school without worrying about this crap they will not properly learn,  nor be properly adjusted. We live in a world with no perfect answer that's for sure. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

Armed officers need to be in every school in the country. 

Agree 100% but have u asked any cop they will say that numbers are so low they cant cover there patrol areas with out guys working forced overtime I do not know one department in central NY that has even 75% of the cops they should have or what is called for minimum staffing, cant blame younger people but not many want to be cops....

7 minutes ago, land 1 said:

Agree 100% but have u asked any cop they will say that numbers are so low they cant cover there patrol areas with out guys working forced overtime I do not know one department in central NY that has even 75% of the cops they should have or what is called for minimum staffing, cant blame younger people but not many want to be cops....

We lost ours due to budget cuts.  I’m thankful there are locked areas going into each school and can’t just enter the school you have to be let in. However doesn’t stop someone from sneaking in a side door or something like that. 

country pisses away money all the time just make it a branch of the federal government with special training for those individuals to work in schools they need to have the ability to communicate, de-escalation skills with kids and staff while being able to protect at the same time.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, land 1 said:

Agree. Maybe retirees. 

• Like 2

One of our highly placed physicians had a thought that I'd never considered regarding kids and guns. It was simply this: ready access to guns makes it easier for kids to act out that teenage impulse, which disappears in most of us as we age. If that impulse is suicide, it's much more likely the kid ends up dead than there would be by overdose or whatnot. If that impulse is to shoot up their school...

I appreciate that sometimes there's planning in an attack like this, it's not always an impulse act. Regardless, I think it's smart to pay particular attention to kids and guns. Trust, but verify. Firearms training. Parental oversight? Honestly, this latest incident leaves me numb and unable to think rationally. I can't even imagine. It's hard to come up with a logical response when the emotional impact of the situation is sending my brain spinning sideways.

Edited by knehrke

Take our billions budget for the CIA on these filthy politicians and put the protection in our schools where it belongs.. And sit back and watch the politicians begin changing the way they do business.. it will change fast.. America and its citizens first! 

$40B to Ukraine. Why not $9.8B for American kids?
940bf53d37b992338174338fab63b0ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This sounds great but it will never happen!

I’m a Leo and a veteran and I wouldn’t take that job for 5x’s that salary and don’t know a co worker or veteran that would. Having a high school daughter and seeing how her classmates act is something I would never deal with. Especially not in an era where you get videoed doing your job and get plastered on the news and have your life/career ruined.

A good buddy is a county sheriff he took the position at a high school to get off midnights. Didn’t last 3 months, now the position is forced OT with no specific bid officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This sounds great but it will never happen!

I’m a Leo and a veteran and I wouldn’t take that job for 5x’s that salary and don’t know a co worker or veteran that would. Having a high school daughter and seeing how her classmates act is something I would never deal with. Especially not in an era where you get videoed doing your job and get plastered on the news and have your life/career ruined.

A good buddy is a county sheriff he took the position at a high school to get off midnights. Didn’t last 3 months, now the position is forced OT with no specific bid officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could put up with teenagers for $375k and summers off

one issue is in New York retired cops  have a cap on what they can make in NY if working say for a school, DPW, village, city, county job,  currently it is 35,000.00 you can get a waiver but that seems to be hit or miss.....last few years with covid the state has waved this for some positions 

Edited by land 1

My father in law is a retired nys trooper. He said he would go to my daughters school for free . Some are willing to help , a plan just needs to be in place.  Sad to say it will happen again .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Waterfowler said:

Armed officers/guards would be there to handle a active shooter situation. Not all the other petty bs. Plenty of retirees would do it

I just got back from five days in Wyoming where I was on a media blackout so am hearing this news for the first time.

As I understand it, this guy was being pursued by cops who may have fired on him before he got to the school. And then he met and overcame/passed an officer in the school.

The shooter in Buffalo was met and fired upon by a retired cop who was killed.

I just don't see how more retired cops would prevent this from happening again. And I doubt turning schools into armed camps is the solution anyone wants.

There has to be some kind of massive and reasoned change coming to the relationship with gun ownership in the country and if you don't get in front by being part of it, someone else will make that decision for you.

I can't swear as Fast Eddie has given me a warning but I am pretty *&#@% sick of hearing @#%$*& politicians offer their ^&%@#$* thoughts and prayers whenever a group of kids are slaughtered and then double down on their #$^&%*. 

• Like 1

One of the issues with an officer in each school, is the shear numbers of schools . A quick look shows 11 schools in my town plus a couple private ones . That’s more then the total number of patrol officers on any one shift . 
We’d need to hire a boatload of cops , then working exclusively in a school isn’t going to lead to much , policing experience for those new guys . As it is those positions have not exactly always attracted the hard chargers . I guess they could be rotated in and out .

Would have been nice if the cops at this last one hadn’t stood outside for 40 minutes ,arguing with parents who were screaming at them to go in . I thought we changed that sog after columbine . 

14 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Would have been nice if the cops at this last one hadn’t stood outside for 40 minutes ,arguing with parents who were screaming at them to go in . I thought we changed that sog after columbine . 

I just don't want to read much about this but if that's what happened it is insane that armed and protected cops would hesitate to engage while third grade teachers are putting their bodies between the shooter and their kids.

Can someone tell me again about how a retired cop is going to handle this? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I could put up with teenagers for $375k and summers off

Same!

48 minutes ago, Nomad said:

One of the issues with an officer in each school, is the shear numbers of schools . A quick look shows 11 schools in my town plus a couple private ones . That’s more then the total number of patrol officers on any one shift . 
We’d need to hire a boatload of cops , then working exclusively in a school isn’t going to lead to much , policing experience for those new guys . As it is those positions have not exactly always attracted the hard chargers . I guess they could be rotated in and out .

I thought something like 40% of american schools are protected already with armed guards. When I went to HS in late 90's and early 2000's we had a cop at the school every single day. That was his job. 

I knew there were red flags! This is what we should be talking about....These psycos need to be held accountable early. The problem is the accountability just gets less and less....

Some classmates told ABC News that Ramos was known for fighting and threatening fellow students. They said he exhibited increasingly disturbing behavior over the past two years, threatening at least one classmate and stalking others, and that he claimed to have cut scars into his face.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Same!

I thought something like 40% of american schools are protected already with armed guards. When I went to HS in late 90's and early 2000's we had a cop at the school every single day. That was his job. 

We have a safety officer but I dont believe hes armed