Another Mass shooting this time in Texas

First-light

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

So the armed security will walk by a fight or confrontation without doing anything? Get real!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a officer armed with a rifle in a central location of school monitoring cameras and specifically trained for active shooter with a rifle. No need to deal with the petty bs. Fights aren’t killing people. Is that real enough?

2 hours ago, left field said:

I just got back from five days in Wyoming where I was on a media blackout so am hearing this news for the first time.

As I understand it, this guy was being pursued by cops who may have fired on him before he got to the school. And then he met and overcame/passed an officer in the school.

The shooter in Buffalo was met and fired upon by a retired cop who was killed.

I just don't see how more retired cops would prevent this from happening again. And I doubt turning schools into armed camps is the solution anyone wants.

There has to be some kind of massive and reasoned change coming to the relationship with gun ownership in the country and if you don't get in front by being part of it, someone else will make that decision for you.

I can't swear as Fast Eddie has given me a warning but I am pretty *&#@% sick of hearing @#%$*& politicians offer their ^&%@#$* thoughts and prayers whenever a group of kids are slaughtered and then double down on their #$^&%*. 

Agreed no one wants that but something has to happen. The retired offer from Buffalo was going against rifle shooter with body armor with a handgun. 

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

One of the issues with an officer in each school, is the shear numbers of schools . A quick look shows 11 schools in my town plus a couple private ones . That’s more then the total number of patrol officers on any one shift . 
We’d need to hire a boatload of cops , then working exclusively in a school isn’t going to lead to much , policing experience for those new guys . As it is those positions have not exactly always attracted the hard chargers . I guess they could be rotated in and out .

Would have been nice if the cops at this last one hadn’t stood outside for 40 minutes ,arguing with parents who were screaming at them to go in . I thought we changed that sog after columbine . 

With all the money this country is giving away, make it a decent salary and guys will do it. Both new, retirees, military. 

Have a officer armed with a rifle in a central location of school monitoring cameras and specifically trained for active shooter with a rifle. No need to deal with the petty bs. Fights aren’t killing people. Is that real enough?

Seems like a great idea on paper, I’m going to guess you’ve never worked for the government. It would start like that and in a week of them not doing anything they’d be given other tasks.

Not to mention in security 1 is none and 2 is 1, no security is ever done with one person. Always in pairs. Anything other than that us done as a feel good/look good measure and not security.

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Seems like a great idea on paper, I’m going to guess you’ve never worked for the government. It would start like that and in a week of them not doing anything they’d be given other tasks.

Not to mention in security 1 is none and 2 is 1, no security is ever done with one person. Always in pairs. Anything other than that us done as a feel good/look good measure and not security.

Look, nothing is perfect but one well trained body is better than none. Agreed not ideal. As it stands LEO are training to respond and enter immediately, by yourself or not. 

Oh, and worked for the govt 26 yrs and counting.

10 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

Agreed no one wants that but something has to happen. The retired offer from Buffalo was going against rifle shooter with body armor with a handgun. 

You're making my point. Trained retired cop who got a shot off couldn't stop him. Do we just keep upping each other? Why not barbed wire and snipers on the roof. Honestly, if the approach is adding more and more armour to the school until nothing less than a tank can penetrate, we've already lost. 

I see that Trump is speaking at an NRA event ... no guns allowed.

4 minutes ago, left field said:

You're making my point. Trained retired cop who got a shot off couldn't stop him. Do we just keep upping each other? Why not barbed wire and snipers on the roof. Honestly, if the approach is adding more and more armour to the school until nothing less than a tank can penetrate, we've already lost. 

I see that Trump is speaking at an NRA event ... no guns allowed.

Well a lot of that is ridiculous. Simple, if that Buffalo cop had the same rifle as the shooter, the shooter is dead. Rifle rounds go right through body armor 

• Like 1

Look, nothing is perfect but one well trained body is better than none. Agreed not ideal. As it stands LEO are training to respond and enter immediately, by yourself or not. 

Im never a supporter of wasting money on feel good measures! A metal detector and a locked door would be far more effective and cost a portion!

I’m surprised you have such a different outlook on how the government works than what my experience has been.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Im never a supporter of wasting money on feel good measures! A metal detector and a locked door would be far more effective and cost a portion!

I’m surprised you have such a different outlook on how the government works than what my experience has been.

Yeah me too. Really don’t see it as a feel good measure at all. Something has to be done, what’s in place now isn’t working. A metal detector and locked door,? Most have that now. A lot of doors are glass, how hard is it to get through that with a rifle in your hand? 

7 hours ago, left field said:

As I understand it, this guy was being pursued by cops who may have fired on him before he got to the school. And then he met and overcame/passed an officer in the school.

All of that is incorrect . He crashed his truck, near the school, shot at two,people then walked into the school via a back door 12 minutes later all unopposed by any Leo  !

Once o/s it took the cops and hour to go in and get him , although it’s rumored that some cops went in and got their kids out …..

The kid could have used a muzzle loader with that response .

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/26/uvalde-school-shooting-police-response/

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

No ,we need to label mentally ill people as such and make sure they are treated accordingly. 

Agreed, that’s another problem. Nothing is going to be 100 percent. But having a trained officer with a rifle in every school would make by far the biggest difference. These pu$$ies just want to kill without the chance of someone doing the same back.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

No ,we need to label mentally ill people as such and make sure they are treated accordingly. 

Do we label the guy who's on an antidepressant as unfit to own a gun?

The person who's seeing a therapist?

That would bar a lot of people.

I agree with you, but there has to be some line.

Maybe an involuntary commitment to the psych ward, or a mental hygiene arrest.

Yeah me too. Really don’t see it as a feel good measure at all. Something has to be done, what’s in place now isn’t working. A metal detector and locked door,? Most have that now. A lot of doors are glass, how hard is it to get through that with a rifle in your hand? 

I was unaware that there was a rule stating schools need to have glass doors? Changing exterior doors to steel and adding a few metal detectors is way more effective and cheaper than paying a a dude to sit in a room with a gun…

I don’t have a glass door in my house for a reason, why is it necessary for schools to?

20 hours ago, left field said:

I just got back from five days in Wyoming where I was on a media blackout so am hearing this news for the first time.

The shooter in Buffalo was met and fired upon by a retired cop who was killed.

I just don't see how more retired cops would prevent this from happening again. And I doubt turning schools into armed camps is the solution anyone wants.

There has to be some kind of massive and reasoned change coming to the relationship with gun ownership in the country and if you don't get in front by being part of it, someone else will make that decision for you.

I can't swear as Fast Eddie has given me a warning but I am pretty *&#@% sick of hearing @#%$*& politicians offer their ^&%@#$* thoughts and prayers whenever a group of kids are slaughtered and then double down on their #$^&%*. 

Even if it happened, it would take YEARS for "massive and reasoned change" to have any effect while more kids are killed. Shooters go after schools because they are a SOFT target. Protect the grounds now and save lives. Manned security "man traps at all entrances. Hardened classroom doors with remote triggered locks. Teachers and all staff with alarm triggers going to the school and local PD. Train and arm willing staff with monthly training. Make it so someone can't just walk in and start shooting. We protect banks, offices and government buildings with similar methods - WHY NOT SCHOOLS!!!

• Like 2