Coyote hunting regulation question

zeke83

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season.

So to answer your question, no, you have to wait for all deer seasons to close.

Thats not the case jim335, it depends on where he is hunting.

Basically, if you are in a shotgun only area, you cannot hunt with a centerfire rifle during any open deer season. If you are in an area that allows rifles for deer, you can hunt them anytime. Yes, you can hunt them at night during deer season.

Agreed WNY-Jim335 that statement you posted from the DEC furbearer page is extremely wordy and convoluted (like many of the DEC regulations) but it's just saying you can't hunt with a rifle where you cannot hunt deer with a rifle. Seems like a lot of others on this site would also suggest that if you are to hunt coyote at night, especially during open deer seasons, it would probably be best to have the proper calls/coyote equipment just in case an officer did want to talk with you.

On a side note, from what I've seen elsewhere coyote furs should be coming into prime right about now or very soon! I want to try and tan some pelts myself, if I can even get out to use my new trapping license. Working every weekend doesn't leave much travel time.

I live in an area where center fire rifles are legal to hunt deer.

Its all in how you read this one paragraph

• You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season.

from how I read it, I can't shoot a coyote anytime during deer season

Yes you can. I dont understand why you read it that way.

Read it with the emphisis on what I highlight...

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season.

You can hunt coyotes at any time during deer season, and since you are in a rifle area, you can use a rifle to hunt them.

Basically, if you are in a shotgun only area, you cannot hunt with a centerfire rifle during any open deer season. If you are in an area that allows rifles for deer, you can hunt them anytime. Yes, you can hunt them at night during deer season.

this is 100% correct

Do you suppose they try to make these regulations so challenging to understand to try and discourage certain activities? haha just a thought <_< (I can't imagine an encon officer being thrilled at the thought of lots of people shooting high-powered rifles at night even if it is 100% legal!)

• Like 1

I'm still scratching my head over this one.

So it's reg deer season, in a rifle county, and all my deer tags are filled, I can be afield with a center-fire rifle? and the ECO stops you and you say I'm hunting fur-bearers?

Just doesn't sound right.

I bet it depends on the mood the officer is in/how you act. Plus, if you've got your rabbit distress call or some kind of coyote lure that should be pretty good evidence you're not after deer...but I've never seen an ECO afield so I don't know what would happen.

That is correct, you do.

It does make the ECO's job tougher, but thats the way of life. Should not be making activities illegal to make enforcing other laws easier. As far as the tag filled thing, there will be a few people smart enough to utilize this, but most will slip up. ECO's are typically watching you for a good bit of time before approaching you anyway, they will normally be able to decipher the fur hunters from the poachers. I see how it is tough on them, but I rather be able to hunt coyotes during deer season than make an ECO's job easy.