This year’s corn plot

I cut back to just 2 acres of RR fieldcorn this year, due to high fertilizer and fuel prices.  I hope it lasts until January 1.  I plowed a couple weeks ago, disked 3 times in between, then cutimulched and planted on Saturday.  

The 4 acres that I planted last year lasted until March 1.  2 acres ought to make January 1, so long as I keep the coons trapped out of it.  I also put in about 1/2 acre of sweetcorn, which I will start trapping hard, as soon as it starts making ears in early August.  
7CE61C3F-9ED8-4B3A-8E4E-A4B5FAE3E04C.thumb.jpeg.ab67822682c3f51c333d3a53f849ceeb.jpeg

3AEC27E0-E91E-4F4B-88DC-70374F0FBA6D.thumb.jpeg.acb0dda7bd66b031252b72d70ac394f6.jpeg

EBDE86AA-77C8-4414-A86C-AD24F19916C4.thumb.jpeg.3ab4e64d4cbb74b534424c342accd304.jpeg

Standing corn is the only sure fire way that I know, to keep deer on my ground, after December 1.  I saved a bag of fertilizer for about 1/4 acre if brassicas, on the back of that corn plot, which will go in in July.   Standing corn and brassicas is a great combo for late ML season.  

• Like 4

Plant a blend of field corn, sunflowers, Group 2-3 AG soybeans and Milo in the other 2 acres.. Without fertilizer.. Ears are ears in a wildlife food plot. Between the  all 4 of those seeds, you should be able to pull some deer for sure, the blend should also pull attraction away from your monoculture corn plot.. 

The other 2 acres, plus 2 more that was corn last year, will be getting my usual wheat/clover mix after September 1.  I was going to hold the weeds at bay over the summer on those plots with buckwheat, but that was a no-go at $ 75 for 50 pounds.  

Thankfully, I still have a gas tractor and should be able to keep those 4 acres relatively weed free with a drag till then, for less money than that.  I’d probably about break even on the buckwheat seed, doing it with my diesel tractor at almost $ 2 more per gallon.  

For me, it is all about minimizing my venison cost per pound after subtracting all input costs.  

The sweetcorn that I planted was mostly a 72 day variety (cappuccino) and a little 89 day (candy corn).  Last year, I put in bodacious (85 day). which I didn’t care too much for, and just a little cappuccino, which was great, then silver queen (92 day) as a later planting.  

I hope to get in another 1/4 acre or so this year, split between candy corn and silver queen, around June 15.  I know the cappuccino will be good, but I am really looking forward to the candy corn.  I haven’t grown that in a few years.  You can identify it by the purple stalks.  It is extra sweet, and holds that sweetness quite a while after harvest.  Silver queen has always been my favorite tasting variety, but it does not hold its flavor very long after harvest.  

With God-caused global warming in full tilt now, our fall frosts have been coming later and later.   I love having fresh sweetcorn right up till October. Folks who think man is causing global warming are out to lunch.

The other 2 acres, plus 2 more that was corn last year, will be getting my usual wheat/clover mix after September 1.  I was going to hold the weeds at bay over the summer on those plots with buckwheat, but that was a no-go at $ 75 for 50 pounds.  

Thankfully, I still have a gas tractor and should be able to keep those 4 acres relatively weed free with a drag till then, for less money than that.  I’d probably about break even on the buckwheat seed, doing it with my diesel tractor at almost $ 2 more per gallon.  

For me, it is all about minimizing my venison cost per pound after subtracting all input costs.  

Although fuel is more than gasoline if you figured out your gallons per hour I would be surprised if the diesel didn’t come out on top. I have 2 tractors if the same vintage and close to same hp and the diesel goes almost twice the hours that than the gas does doing the same work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

Although fuel is more than gasoline if you figured out your gallons per hour I would be surprised if the diesel didn’t come out on top. I have 2 tractors if the same vintage and close to same hp and the diesel goes almost twice the hours that than the gas does doing the same work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of that depends on the operation.   On a disk, my diesel tractor still has the edge over my gas tractor, until the price difference exceeds $ about 2.50 per gallon.  That is mostly because it is 4 wheel drive, while the gas one is not, and no implement benefits more from 4wd than a disk.  Pushing that “dead” front axle thru soft ground wastes a ton of energy (and fuel). 

On a plow (which transfers the bulk of the traction force to the rear axle), or a planter, which operates over firmer ground, my 2wd gas tractor will do more acres per dollar now (at a $ 1.75 per gallon cost difference).  

The little gas tractor is also more efficient to plant small quantities of seed with, because it is lower to the ground and you can mount/dismount from either side.  That makes checking the planter a lot easier.  

• Like 1