So this weekend is opening day for rifle for the SZ - Who is excited!

burmjohn

So this weekend is opening day for rifle for the SZ - Who is excited?

I've been stuck at home the past two weekends because of Hurricane Sandy... Power is back (as of Monday Night, 14+ days on the generator was not fun). I'm soooooooo ready to get away and head up to my fathers cabin. This storm screwed my last two weekends of bow season, and more specifically the BEST two weekends according to what I have heard with the rut in full effect. Hoping they are still going to be running around this weekend. My bow season was a lot of fun, I had the biggest buck of my life roughly 50 yards out, and then another opportunity at a monster at 30 yards with no clean bow shot. Hoping I get to see either of these guys during the rifle season. I have a doe tag to fill as well.

Going to be my first time hunting. Using my fathers model 94 30 30 from 1951. Nice family history with the gun and going at this task alone makes it even more exciting. Got friday off from work to heasing tl the cabin early and relaxing tomorrow so im fresh for sat morning.

Good luck out there

I was fortunate enough to NEVER miss an opening day of southern tier gun season since 1965. I even managed to get leave for deer season when I was on active duty in the Navy.

There is nothing quite like it...I still get excited, maybe not like when I was young, but I hope it will remain a special day as long as I am able to continue hunting.

• Like 1

YEAH BUDDY! I cant wait to teach some of these deer that like to hang out just outside of bow range a lesson in lead! Im still conflicted about what spot to sit on opening morning though. Choice #1 is the escape route out of the swamps where all of the other guys go on the farm. Choice #2 is my dads place, where the wind will be 100% perfect for the stand, and Ive had bucks in front of me both of the morning sits so far this year. Seen bruisers in both places this year....ahhhhhhhhh.....

• Like 1

I'm taking a pass on opening day this year, I hunt state land it;s just waaaaaay too nuts the first week. It does feel like skipping Christmas, nothing beats the thrill of opening day. I'll just have my opening day a little later, 10 days off starting after Thanksgiving. By the second week of the season I'll have 1000 acres allmost to myself.

Edited by JimR

I am ready. Watching the clock at work but the big hand and little hand dont seem to be moving. LOL

Heading north tomm morning and ready to sit in the woods and have no care in the world. Weather looks great. Just have to finish packing tonight. I will be there until tuesday. Good luck to everyone and please be safe.

Im ready too. I've been reading the forum for a while and love seeing all the pics and stories everyone has been posting. Im away at school in PA and have been going crazy waiting for opening day of gun season. Good luck to everyone and I cant wait to see the pics and read the stories of opening weekend!

The older I get, and I'm not THAT old, I look less and less forward to opening day of gun. The only thing that'll bring it back is going to be acreage ownership, which is being saved for.

The thing about it is, that is has nothing to do with the hunting or the guns....it's the people behind the guns for the most part. No doubt, some real quality hunters out there that are honest and respectful...but just as many slob hunters.

Either way, I'll be hunting smart this season.

• Like 1

:yahoo: You said it John. I'm heading up tomorrow morning. Hoping to put some lead in that big 8pt in my avatar roaming our property. Hoping to fill my freezer with a flathead as well.

Good luck all and most of all Be Safe!

Edited by Deerthug

I'm very excited, can't wait . Got my two best hunting buddies with me that are just as excited, my dad and uncle both in their mid 70's. doesn't get any better then that. For the first time I will be using my dads 40 plus year old 35 lever action using 150 grain spear point, shot it quite a bit to get use to it and I was breaking paper at 50 yards. I'll be heading up to camp tonight.

Good luck and be safe.

• Like 1

Just want to say good luck to everyone this coming Saturday, and a safe one to. Though I wont be able to go this year due to this lung cancer thing, I plan being back next year. Saw doctor yesterday, and my tumor has shrunk and I'm responding to chemo, and will have surgery soon to remove part of lung and the tumor. Says my chances are good for recovery. So I'm already planning for next year getting out for the hunt. Good luck and be safe everyone!!

The older I get, and I'm not THAT old, I look less and less forward to opening day of gun. The only thing that'll bring it back is going to be acreage ownership, which is being saved for.

The thing about it is, that is has nothing to do with the hunting or the guns....it's the people behind the guns for the most part. No doubt, some real quality hunters out there that are honest and respectful...but just as many slob hunters.

Either way, I'll be hunting smart this season.

My sentiments exactly. I look less and less foward to it every year for a variety of reasons...

Haven't missed one in twenty eight years..(Thank you Lord!) and some great memories.

Always excited every year. Its like an Old Guys "Christmas Day" full of anticipation.

Crazy though, I still have a tough time sleeping the night before.

I guess if we loose that feeling we would stop hunting...LOL.....NOT

• Like 1

If I have done my math right, I have over 50 continuous years of gun seasons under my belt. I almost missed one season from something that seemed a lot like pneumonia.

But, I am a two-season hunter as Fred Bear used to call us. Bow season is my preferred season, but gun season has it's own unique features as well. They are both hunting, but they are also both very different. Usually, at this stage of bow season, I am ready to reach out and touch somebody with something a little more versatile and effective than a bow.....lol. I can't help but think ... "surprise!" ... the first time I touch off a shot at one of them stinky old goats that have been thumbing their nose at me all bow season .... just out of bow range.

Just want to say good luck to everyone this coming Saturday, and a safe one to. Though I wont be able to go this year due to this lung cancer thing, I plan being back next year. Saw doctor yesterday, and my tumor has shrunk and I'm responding to chemo, and will have surgery soon to remove part of lung and the tumor. Says my chances are good for recovery. So I'm already planning for next year getting out for the hunt. Good luck and be safe everyone!!

Greg that's good news that the chemo is working. Stay strong and before you know it you'll be back in the swing of it next fall.

• Like 1