New gps suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my garmin for $100 at walmart. Works for what I need it to do

Don't get drawn in by some of the bells & whistles on the more $$$ models.

Figure out what you expect it to do & the basic requirements you need.

The more repeatable the unit is, the $$$. The more bells & whistles, the $$$.

Some models require optional maps at an additional $$$.

Get the biggest screen you can afford. Color display is great, but on a topo map unit?

Alot of mfgers have usb download (& upload) capable units.

Viewing maps on your PC monitor is great with your routes, waypoints, etc.

You don't need a Lincoln Navigator when a much cheaper 4x4 will work just fine.

I had a cheapo Magellan that worked great. Got a much better Garmin 60cx at 4X $$.

Was it worth the additional cost? Sure, ..maybe, ....probably not for what I needed!

IMO I've had several GPS devices but nothing beats the Waze app on my Iphone. It works better than my portable GPS devices. I've had both the Waze app and my Navigon GPS side by side and I have to say the Waze is more accurate. It, tells you live traffic data and gives you alternate routes. Best of all it's free. And no I don't work for Waze. LOL.

Edited by Deerthug

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also interested in getting a gps, probably two. My father and I hunt the same land but could, by the end of the day be a mile apart and dragging a kill out of the woods by ourselves. I don't rely on cell phones due to poor battery life. My biggest question is, does anyone make a gps that can "see" another gps. In other words if I was looking at my gps, would it be able to see my fathers gps and let me know where he is? Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the smart phone apps. I use actinnature app. from android market. App is free. Works on iphone too. Will work without cell service, can mark multiple locations and allow labeling, and gives an accurate arrow of which way you are facing ( very helpful). And if your pals have it, you can see their location in real time.

Edited by TreeGuy
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If considering apps, there is one more with the similar possibilities as actinnature, but just for iPhones - Spyglass. It also works great without cell service, has an accurate compass and tons of useful info overlaying the live image of the camera. Really cool.