What Did You Take Away From This Turkey Season?

That I hunt it less and less. Went 2-3 times last year and once this year. I just can't get into it unless there are active gobblers or I have a great spot to hunt them. Lost my best spot and unlike deer hunting I won't grind for a turkey. Although when there is action it's awesome but lack of action keeps me at bay and pushes me to the lake and spring chores.

Now if I was retired I am sure I would get out more, to at least 1-2 times a week. I should look for another location but time and effort for it just doesn't happen.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For years I’ve been saying that I’ve lost my drive for Turkey hunting but I hunted more this year than in the last few and had a lot of fun. Only hunted NY 3 days, 2 with a gun but hunted Massachusetts and Maine and was successful everywhere I went. Birds seemed very vocal and with the cold slow start to spring I think the seasons hit the breeding very well.

After 20 years and over 75 toms/jakes I’m still learning new tricks/what not to do’s. I have never been a big caller but when I did I almost always soft called. This year if I called it was almost always very aggressive when I knew I was close. Ny #1, Me. #2 and my Mass bird all died because they couldn’t take the very aggressive calling. Ny #2 was killed with 2 soft tree yelps. Me. #1 was killed with no calling at all I shadowed him and some jakes and hens for a few hours before they finally got into a spot that he was killable.

It was a great year, now back to work on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

https://angosiam.com/اشهر-منصات-العملات-الرقمية/
https://advocatesnairobi.com/كيمانول/
https://kerbymethodconsulting.com/ما-هو-سعر-الدولار-الامريكي-مقابل-الريا-72986/
https://advocatesnairobi.com/الدولار-مقابل-الليرة-التركية/
https://advocatesnairobi.com/تأجير-سيارات-بدون-تأمين/

• 3 weeks later...

I got to see more, hear more both male and female, I got to watch the dance up close several times which was cool and new to me, I saw my first bearded hen, had not realized how long and thick their beards could get, I finally got some decent pictures of and as well as some pretty wildflowers. I got more confident in the calls I made as I called in many turkey with them and the strikers I put together from a kit. I targeted one bird and only one bird and learned much more about patience, other turkey and wildlife and myself. I also learned much more about photographing wildlife, thought for sure the shutter would scare them away and it did not even phase them.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Patience, an even deeper appreciation of the pre-dawn woods and enjoying watching the woods wake up, More patience with calls, working on a fly down cackle, and another season of good memories and times. Even without taking a bird. 

7 hours ago, NYRturkeycall said:

Patience, an even deeper appreciation of the pre-dawn woods and enjoying watching the woods wake up, More patience with calls, working on a fly down cackle, and another season of good memories and times. Even without taking a bird. 

There you go!

I am glad that somehow,Someway, I always end up taking 1 or 2 Gobblers late each May. I am glad ,I never take 1 on May 1st and the next on May 2nd.

I would probably  lose my motivation  if it was that easy. I was out Grinding a total of 31 Days this Spring.  Loved every second of it!

On 5/28/2022 at 8:17 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

That I hunt it less and less. Went 2-3 times last year and once this year. I just can't get into it unless there are active gobblers or I have a great spot to hunt them. Lost my best spot and unlike deer hunting I won't grind for a turkey. Although when there is action it's awesome but lack of action keeps me at bay and pushes me to the lake and spring chores.

Now if I was retired I am sure I would get out more, to at least 1-2 times a week. I should look for another location but time and effort for it just doesn't happen.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

What you describe  above fits me for Deer Hunting. I may go out on just 1 day- the Rifle opener. Sit up against  a Big Hickory with The Brightest Orange for 2 hours and call it a Season.

I just won't Grind for a Deer like,I will for a Gobbler despite seeing Bucks on September  Public Hikes.

• Like 1

There have always been a few Turkeys living in my area but this bunch hanging around here now are starting to act like barnyard birds. For some reason they do not want to be in the woods, I can look out my windows and see them somewhere in my pastures almost any time. What is most disappointing is none of these Hens have any Poults in tow.

Al

2022-06-15_074315.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

There have always been a few Turkeys living in my area but this bunch hanging around here now are starting to act like barnyard birds. For some reason they do not want to be in the woods, I can look out my windows and see them somewhere in my pastures almost any time. What is most disappointing is none of these Hens have any Poults in tow.

Al

2022-06-15_074315.png

That is sad . Do you see more predators  in your area ?

my passion is dwindling year over year. I think it's more a result of having a busy ass life than it has to do with the bird itself. But I also lost my spot and I'm trying to learn a new one. Learning can be fun, but also time consuming and not immediately rewarding. 

When you don't know if you're even close to being near roost trees it really doesn't motivate you much when the 4am alarm goes off. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

2022-06-15_074315.png

Woods age , habitat changed,  either allowing predators in fields are safer...

14 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

There you go!

I am glad that somehow,Someway, I always end up taking 1 or 2 Gobblers late each May. I am glad ,I never take 1 on May 1st and the next on May 2nd.

I would probably  lose my motivation  if it was that easy. I was out Grinding a total of 31 Days this Spring.  Loved every second of it!

I would have loved to get at least half of that time in in the springtime. But I also enjoy spending days with the family and kids.  Any time in the woods is a good time for me. Now when I retire in 95 years maybe then lol. But yes, no reward without effort. 

• Like 1