Live weight vs Hanging "gutted" weight

Hunting4u

• 8 months later...

20-25 % sounds about right to me. 

150 lbs deer was probably about 183-195 lbs walking  weight depending on how healthy...  A Fat young healthy deer could have 50 lbs of guts with food, an old worn out buck would have very little in (guts)weight at the end of the season I would think...  Possibly only 35 lbs at that weight for a rut worn buck.

Hi add 32 to 35% to the dressed weight that's about the percentage.What I did was weigh 5

deer dead weight then weighed them dressed that was the percentage I came up with between the

5 deer.I did this some yrs ago but I doubt that's changed. I did this in response to an article I read

in outdoor mag in the 80s.

The original question was does anyone know the live weight of a

deer that dressed out at 150. I don't know about a chart but I know

from my own experience that I did that the deer I weighed then gutted

the ave was a loos of 32% to 35%.  If you then process the deer including

deboning it you will only get about 40% to 45% of the meat that is deboned

and trimmed. I have been processing deer for 31 yrs. That amount changes

with the age, health, where it is shot etc. I have actually refused to process

an animal because of massive damage (excessive shots) lol because I

didn't want to hear that oh I didn't get much meat back anyway theres lots

of factors in the aount of meat you receive after the deer is fully processed.

In the old hunter safety course manuals there is a chart.  I found mine in the workshop stuffed away in a box the other day.  It was from the mid 80's.  If I get a chance I will dig it out and post the chart up.  Great manual by the way, covers everything from safety to how to field dress a deer.  Wonder why they dont offer this info in them anymore. 

• Like 1

i have weighed un gutted buck at 186lbs(early bow kill) on scale, then gutted it and it weighed 151lbs.  the charts posted  are accurate, but meat loss due to shot can add up to be alot. i always laugh when i hear somone say i should of got back 80 lbs from that buck as they stand there with 45 after blasting a backstap and shoulder away... deer get bigger the longer the drag it seems, as do antlers... then when they get mount back...oh the taxidermist gave me the wrong mount or shrunk my horns.  I weigh all the deer taken off my property, and have used the measuring tape method and compared, the tape measurement if done correctly  are accurate,but, there are regional differences in shape and legnth of deer that may make it off by 5-10 lbs a deer.