Deer/ Bear hunt :(

magnumhunt

I hunt in 4O for about 15 years, my uncles and dad have been hunting there for about 30. A couple of years ago my cousin supposedly saw a bear and everyone laughed it off. No one believed him really and I would make jokes about it.. This past weekend apparently he saw another one opening day, and I laughed it off. My uncle shot a doe opening morning. Saturday night we hunted and I hear something walking, all of a sudden a deer pops out. I stayed calm and was excited as i had it in the scope I get clean shot, pull the trigger and "CLICK". I was like ohh NOOO. The deer heard the "click" and was staring right at me. I tried not to move for few minutes but couldn't help it anymore and put rifle down to take bullet out. I was using a semi auto 7MM. The gun wasn't in all the way. Then deer turns around take a jump and starts walking away. So I text my cousin going crazy that i just missed a deer, ranting, so mad. As I am texting him I hear footsteps not even 5minutes later from same area. So I was ready this time. I figured its same deer coming back. All of a sudden Big black Bear comes from same spot. I was like Ohh my God. I shot at it twice. and reach in my bag for more bullets and at same time i was trying to see where bear went. I put another bullet in and all of a sudden I see the tree in front of me wiggling, the bear had climbed the tree. I take another shot at it it jumps down and runs away. I walk over to my cousin and as im walking I hear another 2 shots. A different bear ran right by him but was way to dark. We walk back to where i shot it and couldn't find any blood or anything. We stopped looking because was it completely night and couldn't see and was worried i may have wounded it and would have been dangerous. Next morning we tried looking for it and still nothing. Is it possible their coat is so thick they don't bleed as much? I had also apologized to my cousin for all the laughing i did. Pretty interesting weekend.

First question yes their hide is thick and it could stop the bleeding somewhat. This happens more in archery season. Second it sounds like that was a sow and cub you shot at or two yearlings orphaned because the mother was shot. which is illegal. Two bears in the same area???? I have learned through the years to let the bear hang around if possible for a bit. Sometimes the cubs bring up the rear and it could be a good 5 minutes. I hope you took some hours to looks for these animals. BTW I usually don't bust chops but you saying you buddy took two shots but it was way too dark is not a good thing.

So, you heard footsteps coming and got ready, yet still took 3 bad shots at the bear? Then, had to reach for more bullets? Have you ever practiced shooting before? I'm thinking you haven't.

Also, your cousin shoots when it is way too dark? Or were the 2 additional shots not from him? I'm thinking they were.

Finally, since they stop selling bear tags before the season opens to prevent the taking of a bear, then the tag, did you even purchase one since you didn't even think there were bear where you were hunting? I'm thinking you didn't.

For someone who has been hunting for at least 15 years, your actions were pretty irresponsible, dangerous and just plain dumb. I pray you do not "hunt" anywhere near me.

• Like 1

So, you heard footsteps coming and got ready, yet still took 3 bad shots at the bear? Then, had to reach for more bullets? Have you ever practiced shooting before? I'm thinking you haven't.

Also, your cousin shoots when it is way too dark? Or were the 2 additional shots not from him? I'm thinking they were.

Finally, since they stop selling bear tags before the season opens to prevent the taking of a bear, then the tag, did you even purchase one since you didn't even think there were bear where you were hunting? I'm thinking you didn't.

For someone who has been hunting for at least 15 years, your actions were pretty irresponsible, dangerous and just plain dumb. I pray you do not "hunt" anywhere near me.

What????? bear and deer is open at the same time.... and did he not buy a tag? sorry but u automaticly get one w ur buck tag no matter what, u dont have to ask for it.............

the rest of u, i can understand ur concern but give the guy a break if a bear walked past me i would be so exited i would have trouble concentrating too.... i agree it wasnt safe but still give him a break...................... and i got a question how far was ur cousin sitting from you? cause he might have shot at the same bear. just wonderin

Edited by josephmrtn

Ok giving him a break with friendly advice:

1. Never mention too dark and shots fired.

2. Please check out this chart, its DEC's shooting times. Before or after their time is illegal.

http://www.dec.ny.go...213guidesun.pdf

3. I would recommend learning to bowhunt. It will teach you patience that will help you become a better hunter overall.

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego

" i agree it wasnt safe but still give him a break.............."

sorry but I cant! Safety first. live by that. Also, Know the animal you are hunting or any that you may come accross this time of year. By that, I mean know the bear anatomy like you know deer anatomy and shot placement. Know how they may react to be shot, where do they head into bedding area? or up a tree? ...Just firing off rounds does NO good for the animal or in case a nearby family member or any other hunter. Dark out? Gun going "click" ? Where's my cousin positioned? man too much to go into

It sounds like you got caught in the moment. That being said try not to let yourself do that.

Things to think about though.

Is bear even open in your unit?

Sows can't be shot below the blue line if they have cubs

Safety of your shots

Just learn from the experience and be more prepared next time

Mods Please delete this thread.

1) dont make assumptions, no it wasnt a sow or cub.

2) If you dont know about tags dont make senseless comments

I was just trying to share my expierence on what happened. What I meant by it being dark was we couldn't track it.

I didnt do anything wrong, and I know for a fact. Shooting the bear in a tree and behind the tree was mountain.

There is no reason to bash anyone. If you think you're a perfect hunter great. But I promise you are wrong. Give the person a break. What a bunch of

Sorry about the language but there seems to be way to many perfect hunters on here.l

"

Note from moderator: inappropriate language edited out.

• Like 1

I was the first to post and hope the last. You have to be clearer when posting your stories.

"Saturday night we hunted"..........."I hear another 2 shots. A different bear ran right by him but was way to dark"

What are we to make of this??????

I hope next time you are out hunting you bag that deer and bear.

oh geez :queen::closetema:

only problem i see with this is shooting at the deer in the tree. we all miss. hard imagine missing a big ass bear though, however i didn't catch the distance. spend some time at the range my friend and it'll help when the nerves are up.

For sure.

Not needed here at all.

whats the problem with me Belo? SteveB also agreed that the language was not needed