Your DEC/State Troopers at Work

screamon demon

How many of you on your own land tag the deer after you pull it out of the woods and over to the deer pole? I have and should change my ways. I can see a ticket on the horizon........

Might want to read the law, the tag doesn't have to be attached to the deer until it gets to the point of transportation or consumption. The tag must be filled out immediately once the deer is confirmed dead and in your possession.

It's ok to kill a deer and drag it home then attach the tag. Or to the vehicle you are going transport it with. I must be filled out before you move it.

Here:

Tagging

Here's what you must do immediately upon killing a deer or bear:

1. Fill in all information on the carcass tag and report tag with ink that won't erase.
  2. Detach the carcass tag from the report tag. Once filled in, the tag may not be altered.
  3. Keep the report tag, you will need it when you report your deer or bear.
  4. The month and date must also be cut or marked in ink on the margin of the carcass tag.
  5. You do not need to attach the tag to the carcass while it is being dragged or physically carried from the place of kill to a camp or point where transportation is available.
  6. Once you get to the camp or vehicle, attach the tag to the deer or bear immediately.
  7. Keep the tag attached to the carcass until it is cut up and prepared for consumption.

Edited by cnymuzguy

there is a lot of discretion depending on circumstances. Keep in mind you can get ticketed for fishing without a license if you do not have it on you, but have one. Come to court with the license showing it was purchased before the infraction is different than not having one at all. There are ranges in fines depending on many factors such as previous convictions etc. They will say like 25 minimum 250 maximum. Knowing the judge helps too.

The average age of a hunter in NY is around 48 , so I guess you'd not find to many young guys caught as there just are not many of them to start with.

The average age of the 7 caught was 46.7.....

Edited by Larry302

Ok.What do i do if i forgot my pen in my truck?

Do I ................put the tag on it.go to truck and get pen and then come back to fill it out and drag it?

Or do i.............Go back to truck with out tagging it and get my pen then go back to buck and fill it out

then gut it and drag it.

I am not perfect.I forget my head sometimes.

I have 60 acres that I have hunted for 13 years ... This year a house that is near our property was rented out. After anual reposting of property found multiple 4 wheeler trails through our property and a ladder to one of our stands missing with a four wheeler trail next to it... We dont use machines on this propety....Confornted him and informed him to stay off the propety and not to try and sneak in,, responded that he has property he hunts and wouldnt be a issue... After about 2 weeks a ground blind went up 150 feet from his house not on our property and stayed there through bow season.. At the end of bow season he started to construct a tree stand adjacent to ground blind clearly visable from road and with the intent to gun hunt this stand...We called the DEC and informed them he wasnt 500 feet from his neighbor or the business on each side and thought he may be baiting...The officer couldnt make it there when he said due to other calls.. So my partner opening morning going to get a cup of coffee sees him in the stand hunting...Goes to the store and two local cops are there and he tells them the situation and they go and pull into business next door,, and he gets down and goes inside without them seeing him.. They call my partner asking him where the stand is and they see and go to his door.. His wife answers the door saying hes not there ,, the dummy calls out from the other room saying are they gone yet... They talk to him and he says he doesnt have permisson from neighbors and will not hunt there anymore... That afternoon the DEC officer shows up and he responds I know I cant hunt there the police were here earlier..The DEC officer states he will need to see the stand.. He got all nervous according to the officer... What he found was mutiple salt blocks, corn and apples.. The officer made him pick up bait in some type of bins and took it with him... He was ticketed and said we wont have to worry about him anymore this year.. I was able to take Harvest a Deer on our property but will never know the effect of his actions, on my bow season...F ing scum bag..

Ok.What do i do if i forgot my pen in my truck?

Do I ................put the tag on it.go to truck and get pen and then come back to fill it out and drag it?

Or do i.............Go back to truck with out tagging it and get my pen then go back to buck and fill it out

then gut it and drag it.

I am not perfect.I forget my head sometimes.

You don't need a pen . All you have to do is take the knife out of your pocket or sheath and cut out the Month and day of the kill on the tag . It's that simple .

You don't need a pen . All you have to do is take the knife out of your pocket or sheath and cut out the Month and day of the kill on the tag . It's that simple .

pretty sure it's not filled out properly till you sign it an fill out the county and town of kill...that requires a pen.

pretty sure it's not filled out properly till you sign it an fill out the county and town of kill...that requires a pen.

Yupper , you are right and I am wrong . I havn't had to fill one out this year and was in error in my statement .

I keep a pen in my jacket and also the backpack . Usually the one in the backpack won't work in cold weather