Hunter/Game Warden relationships

The vast majority of tickets, traffic and parking are issued legitimately. Mistakes will be made. If you get stopped, don't be a cocky little D@#k, that will get you nowhere. If you are issued a ticket that you don't think you deserve then go to court. There is a good chance that the ticket will at least be reduced.

All these people who are issued numerous tickets which are ALL BOGUS.........Seriously???? No one is buying that. Ball up boys.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had a meeting today with Department of Game and Island Fisheries. We will be helping with quota hunts throughout the state next year. Being able to see your fellow hunters in your group on your phone is a safety feature everyone should have. We have already heard of 10 different ways DeerLogic has helped hunters with safety in the field this season.

• 3 weeks later...
I GOT REAL LUCKY COMING HOME ON route 17 one year had to pull over for mandatory deer stop.deer was ok so was license.gun was unloaded but had aslug in neoprene cheek stop .Igot Abadan tongue lashing but no fine .super lucky

If it was in the slug holder on the stock, you didn't even deserve a tongue lashing. As long as the round isn't in the chamber, it's unloaded according to the ECO in these parts

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

I know many friends who became cops and all were great guys and none had the little man complex, yet I have seen this personality first hand.  Police, ECO or DEC are all human, some will have a little man or power complex while others will not...  All these jobs come with entitlement and authority, some can handle it while it goes to others head.  "Respect My Authority!"  Just the way life is.  Even as hunters some are ethical and others are not.  I can honestly say most of the few tickets I received as a driver in NYS were deserved yet like many here state, it's easer to pay a 25$ fine than fight the ticket... 

Try to see it from their point of view.  Sometimes they deal with some really shady characters and will have a bit of apprehension to them due to that.  They could be frustrated at not getting the better job for the day and are stuck in a john boat waiting for some person to bring the kids to shore for fishing time...  The boss could have given it to them for not writing enough tickets.  The wife could be out of commission with a bun in the oven, or may be he lost his best friend and pet that week.  Or he is just glad to be alive after last nights steak out... Point is we all have different things going on in life that can frustrate us.  When dealing with any officers you best bet is to be polite, courteous and most of all respectful, 90 % of the time it is returned.  The other 10 % could be in the last few sentences, or he could just be a jerk...  I am sure you have someone at work who fits this profile just like you would see if you were on the force...   

The idiotic NO CAMPING tickets I received as a youth were deserved.  The 25$ fine for forgetting to fill in the date of my 1st deer was deserved because these guys probably see poachers do it all the time...  The one young officer I think would have let me go(Seeing my enthusiasm.) but the vet said NO write him up.  Again I can't blame them for doing their job, and as a matter of fact I commend them.  All the times I have been checked by DEC, ECO, Rangers or state police while hunting or fishing I have had no problems and have thanked them multiple times for protecting what I hold most precious.   But like many (I hope!) I try to follow the game laws to the best of my ability and knowledge.

Most recent check was at Otis Pike on LI while bow hunting, we checked out OK and spoke with the officer for about 15 min.  They are a wealth of information if you ask the right questions...  Always love hearing the stories of lost hikers from Bruce L. the forest ranger that use to patrol Moose River and now is in charge of Cedar river flow I believe.  Met another DEC officer in Moose river while bow hunting, great guy and another good source of info, think he was just making sure I was Ok as I was solo for a week with rain every day...

Never forget the 1st day Bruce L. the Ranger came to my camp when I first arrived to set up.  I did not even get one piece of equipment out of the truck before he pulled up.  He said "You have a GPS?" (Note: this was before GPS had maps...)  I said "yes why?" he said get it out.  I explained it was in the back of the truck and it might take some time, he said "OK I will wait..."  So 20 min later I get out the GPS and he changes the map to UTM and has me mark my location.  Then he shows me how to read it on the printed map and bingo I see where I am on the map, WOW.  I could not thank him enough, now he says "you will always know where you are on the map..." 

Don't want to go into details on why he was so concerned about people getting lost but lets just say he did not want to drag me out, like the others it was getting monotonous.   NFA-ADK

• Like 1

I agree that those who generally are anti law enforcement of any kind tend to be that way because of a run-in that landed them in hot water for doing something illegal. If you follow the laws you should be fine. The DEC tends to be a little less of an issue then local cops when it comes to harrasement.

I hunt mostly private land where I'm walking out my back door, so I rarely run into DEC, but was stopped once on a pond in the Adirondacks fishing with my wife. I had a license, she did not. He still didn't ticket us. I was also pulled over by the DEC at 17 for doing 90 in a 55. No ticket... not sure he could have proven I was speeding, but I've heard they'll call the cops and wait if they want and you'll still get a ticket.

Ive not had a bad interaction with with officers while hunting, but the encounters do seem to come in waves. almost as if they sit an a meeting and say this week everyone target that area. i have gone 4 or 5 years with out ever seeing an encon then we get checked multiple times in a short span.  the worst time was in michigan hill state forrest. it was the last week of regular season and we had filled our last 7m tag in the mornning. we had a few 7r tags so after lunch we headed to michigan hill. between rt 221 and the parking area on top we were stopped twice and checked. while we were unloading the truck we were checked a third time, and once we were in the woods 2 of us got checked a forth, not bad for an afternoon. 4 different officers, obviously looking for something or someone.  The oddest encounter was in the st lawerance. we went up to see a friend of ours, and the 4 of us decided to go sight seeing by boat. after a few hours we were pulled up on and the officer asked to board our boat. our friend who owned the boat denied the officer. at that point the office became testy and started his im the law attitude when a second officer asked why. our friend then told him we were at capacity and the 5th person would put us over. the second officer laughed brought one person onto his boat, did the inspection, and sent us on our way. when i asked our friend what that was all about he said that was a type of sting they use to see if everyone on the water knows all the laws. when the officer steps on board a full boat he writes the ticket for over capacity. he knew by expirience.

I only see a warden maybe once every few years. Always end up chatting with them for a while. Most are good guys, even had one give me a lift back to my truck when i walked out after unsuccessfully tracking a deer a few miles on state land.

• 6 months later...

I have a bad taste from law enforcement growing up in NYC, the Guilliani times were ridiculous and harassment at its worst, I gotta say since moving to CNY 10 yrs ago I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with law enforcement just doing their job, my last interaction with a game warden was earlier this month, I was shooting my 22 with my bro on my land near the border with state land, the officer stopped over and I was thinking oh geez here we go he's gonna get all SAFEACT on me and start checking mag capacity etc (we were legal by the way), it turned out he stopped because he wanted to know where I was able to get my ammo as he couldn't find 22LR anywhere, I gave him a contact and offered him a box as I had plenty, of course he turned it down, we chatted, he thanked me and was on his way, glad to see a personable officer protecting the resources of our state

Many years ago, I was hunting state land near Ithaca,NY. It started to snow and then it really came down.  I decided to leave and was walking the road towards my car with an empty weapon, when A DEC officer pulled up behind me in his car and asked for my license.  I looked up to towards the sky and said" you got to be kidding. I said I would be glad to show my license if he got out of his car and got snowed on like I was.  He complied, showed him my license and he got back in his car and left. Just the only time I had any contact with DEC whiloe hunting

My encounters with wardens are very, very rare. But there was one time when the encounter turned out to be kind of funny. My Brother-in-law and I were coming into a state boat launch after a night of spearing. It was dark and we were in a row boat. I have to admit that I am the worlds worst rower, and in the dark I couldn't keep a straight line if I had to. While we were still on the other side of the lake, I could see a flashlight over in the parking lot. Naturally, I was tracking off to one side so I made a big course correction, and I saw the flashlight move to the other end of the parking lot. I'd get screwed up again and make a severe correction in the other direction and the light moved back to the other end of the parking lot. Back and forth we went about 4 times until finally we pulled up on the shore. It turns out it was a game cop trying to figure out exactly where we intended to land. Gladly, everything was in order and nothing speared was illegal. But the poor guy got  a bit of a work-out.

I have a bad taste from law enforcement growing up in NYC, the Guilliani times were ridiculous and harassment at its worst, I gotta say since moving to CNY 10 yrs ago I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with law enforcement just doing their job, my last interaction with a game warden was earlier this month, I was shooting my 22 with my bro on my land near the border with state land, the officer stopped over and I was thinking oh geez here we go he's gonna get all SAFEACT on me and start checking mag capacity etc (we were legal by the way), it turned out he stopped because he wanted to know where I was able to get my ammo as he couldn't find 22LR anywhere, I gave him a contact and offered him a box as I had plenty, of course he turned it down, we chatted, he thanked me and was on his way, glad to see a personable officer protecting the resources of our state

I'm glad others have similar experiences down in the city, its a tough place to be. I would imagine some of the folks that are quick to judge on those who's had negative encounters with LEO's wouldn't last a day down here with their long laundry list of illegal activities. My experience has always been that upstate law enforcement is much more relaxed and honest, while lower city LEO's are more drone-like and are programmed for one thing and one thing only, fulfill ticketing quotas, no matter the method.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Instead of hunting today, I spent the day at the NYC Department of Finance disputing a frivolous summons. After having the summons dismissed, I proceeded to file a complaint against the officer that issued said summons. I hope he gets reprimanded for wasting my time and tax payer's money.

• 1 month later...

About 7 years ago I finally shot my first buck on a friends property bordering Happy Valley WMA.  He was a crotch horn that dressed out at 120, I was ecstatic about finally shooting a buck.  I filled out the tag, field dressed it and went back to camp.  Sunday, we are loading up to head home and I have the buck up on top of the Blazer.  DEC Officer stops in, cracks wise about "looks like he missed coffee time" (it was pretty funny how he said it).  He wanted to check my tag and my friends.  Both were filled out properly but not signed on the back.  Cardinal Sin!  He politely advised we should each sign the tags now and remember to do as such in the future.  Lessoned learned, I do appreciate some common sense from a LEO.

Instead of hunting today, I spent the day at the NYC Department of Finance disputing a frivolous summons. After having the summons dismissed, I proceeded to file a complaint against the officer that issued said summons. I hope he gets reprimanded for wasting my time and tax payer's money.

That sounds nothing like you