Hunter/Game Warden relationships

I had a cool experience this morning. I was walking out of the wood, with my climber, back pack, and gun. When I looked up the hill, and to my surprise stood two game wardens. They got a little chuckle watching me coming up the hill with all my gear, as I said give me a minute I'll be right there. First thing I did was remove the primer from my muzzleloader, when I realized they were there, and I was approaching them. Shows respect, and safety to the warden to make sure they understand everything is safe. So I finally made it up the hill out of breath, and sweating like I had just played a football game. I know these two guys got a kick out of watching this action. After the gentleman checked my licenses, we proceeded to have about a half hour conversation about DeerLogic. I was showing them data that was logged in the area, and they were most impressed when I showed them 3 hunt group members in other areas hunting. I'll tell you what these guys were pretty cool. I hear so much negetivity about wardens. But personally I have never had a bad experience with a warden. These people are the ones that are out there protecting us, and our wildlife. I will say that most people that look down on our wardens, are more than likely the ones breaking the law. Keep your nose clean and follow the law, and everyone can have a great relationship with their local wardens. We at DeerLogic have the up most respect for these men and women, and thank you for all you do for our great sport of hunting. Anyone else have a cool warden story??

• Like 2

ive had 2 walk about 200ft away from me in my treestand on state land once, i was waving at them trying to get their attention but they never saw me lol. i was rather relieved they didnt see me, i spent the better part of the day selecting a stand spot and setting up, i wasnt really in the mood to deal with anything but the deer i was hoping to see.

Hehe- yup!

Years ago fishing from the hot water outlet in Dunkirk harbor one summer. Me, my bud, and a bunch of Mexicans that "speek-ed no english".

Two CO's come down to do a licence check. I had mine back at the boat across the harbor but not on me. They approached our Mexican friends, but they only had back tags from who knows when. Pretty obvious they had no licence just by looking at their beer can fishing poles and my poor broken spanish translations.

The CO gave me a wink and a smile and says "why don't you go get yours while I straighten out this mess".

My dumb azz runs a 1/2 mile around the harbor and all the way back with my licence. :bye::pogranichnik:

He rolled his eyes and says "now I gotta give ya a ticket for trespassin". ......ahhhhh crap! Next season the DEC built the fishing platform above the outlet and opened what used to be Niagara Mowhak access to the public.

Cost me $25.

He said I was supposed to "get the point" not a ticket,lol. :closetema:

I can't blame them for that!

I've had some nice conversations with officers in Patterson while small game hunting.

Unfortunately, the negative experiences stand out much more. One 4th of July weekend I was visiting family in pa and took my young kids fishing to the lake. I have no license for pa and was helping my kids fish(they were 4 at the time). I'd cast out the bobber and worm and hand the pole to my kids and repeat for the other kid. Two officers drove from the middle of the lake in a patrol boat. As I saw them coming, I said that I should just go and not bother with them but since I did not feel I was doing anything wrong, I stayed. Wrong move...hit me with a $75 ticket for fishing without a license even though I was just helping kids. They said they saw me both casting and reeling which constitutes fishing...jackasses...They could have let that slide no?

i have always had good experiences with them myself on multiple occasions find it helps to stick to the laws and not bend them for your liking. esp sundown time on the one parcel of state land i hunt. have talked to them while they were waitig for late shots and to them late shots for this area are anything after sunset.

I have no problems with wardens, but then I don't give them any problems either. They have a job to do, and knowing the nature of some of the hunters out there, I can probably thank them to a huge extent for the fact that our critters aren't cut down to nothing from poaching.

Of course I have never received a ticket or even a warning, and that may help with my attitude .... lol.

I've had some nice conversations with officers in Patterson while small game hunting.

Unfortunately, the negative experiences stand out much more. One 4th of July weekend I was visiting family in pa and took my young kids fishing to the lake. I have no license for pa and was helping my kids fish(they were 4 at the time). I'd cast out the bobber and worm and hand the pole to my kids and repeat for the other kid. Two officers drove from the middle of the lake in a patrol boat. As I saw them coming, I said that I should just go and not bother with them but since I did not feel I was doing anything wrong, I stayed. Wrong move...hit me with a $75 ticket for fishing without a license even though I was just helping kids. They said they saw me both casting and reeling which constitutes fishing...jackasses...They could have let that slide no?

NO, you said yourself you have no license for PA and that's exactly what you got a ticket for, why are you surprised?

NO, you said yourself you have no license for PA and that's exactly what you got a ticket for, why are you surprised?

because he wasn't fishing.You don't have kids?i used to take my little ones fishing and never even get to cast out my own pole.And due to that reason i never bought a fishing lisense in NY untill i started ice fishing.Before then i would not even take my pole.I spent my whole time tying and untying knots and casting out poles for them cause they had problems with the release button.It would be wrong to get ticketed for letting my kids fish.If i was in a boat casting out my own bait then yes i would expect i was doing wrong.

• Like 4

Man, stop tripping, he went with poles and kids to the water, that's fishing...period.... and I do have a kid and I'm telling him get a license before you grab those poles and a cooler before you hit the road...don't get hung up on the kids factor here, you are going to the shore/boat with poles and nets, that's fishing bro whether you catch anything or not.....

• Like 4

Man, stop tripping, he went with poles and kids to the water, that's fishing...period.... and I do have a kid and I'm telling him get a license before you grab those poles and a cooler before you hit the road...don't get hung up on the kids factor here, you are going to the shore/boat with poles and nets, that's fishing bro whether you catch anything or not.....

Now toddlers (yes, 4 year olds are toddlers) need a license. And you think that's cool? Wow. You're a ****.

Is that the best you have to offer? Run back to your mom? Or is it because you realize you're supporting a tyrannical enforcement which is outside the spirit of the law, so you are changing the topic. Four year olds are not actually dexterous enough to cast out a pole. They REQUIRE adult help for this. Saying an adult putting a line in the water and handing a pole to a 4 year old equates to the adult fishing is like saying that a person holding a beaker is a chemist. They are simply not correct assessments. But people like you gladly watch as a man is ticketed for something YOU AS A SPORTSMAN should be glad to see, him introducing another generation to the outdoors. But you're so high and mighty because "DA LAW IS DA LAW" herp derp.

So you go ahead, you be glad some ******** gave a guy trying to show kids how to fish a ticket. I'll be disgusted, and you'll still be a *****.

• Like 4

Is that the best you have to offer? Run back to your mom? Or is it because you realize you're supporting a tyrannical enforcement which is outside the spirit of the law, so you are changing the topic. Four year olds are not actually dexterous enough to cast out a pole. They REQUIRE adult help for this. Saying an adult putting a line in the water and handing a pole to a 4 year old equates to the adult fishing is like saying that a person holding a beaker is a chemist. They are simply not correct assessments. But people like you gladly watch as a man is ticketed for something YOU AS A SPORTSMAN should be glad to see, him introducing another generation to the outdoors. But you're so high and mighty because "DA LAW IS DA LAW" herp derp.

So you go ahead, you be glad some gave a guy trying to show kids how to fish a ticket. I'll be disgusted, and you'll still be a

hahaha

Same thing happen to my brother in-law here in NY. To me it is BS when someone gets a ticket for helping little ones fish..

I've seen people use little kids as an excuse to fish without a license. "Oh I'm just helping the kids" but the kids are using expensives rods and lures not worms and bobbers. My 4 year old son is using a sponge bob lure with a worm and bobber. If the dec harassed me I would fight the ticket but if he was using my rig and a lure and I was just "helping" I deserve the ticket

Funny!!! I remember as a kid 10 or 12 years old. We took the family summer trip to a camp in Maine. It was our 4th or 5th year in a row going there. Me and my little brother were fishing on the dock (catching pan fish like ya read about). My Zebco 202 got the line all tangled up, so my old man, who didn't fish, walked down, about 6 Genny's into it, and a Pal-Mal hanging out of his mouth. He fixed my reel and gave it one cast to show me that it worked. All the sudden a game warden comes from around this little cove, in a small motor boat. He had obviously been watching us. He docks up and writes the old man a ticket for fishing without a license.$35.00 Circa 1976 was a lot of money. My father lights into the guy and I thought it was go time.

Things calmed down and the warden went on his way. I remember later that day, my father now about 9 Genny's into it saying to us " hope you liked Maine cuz I aint pay'n that fine and we aint comm'n back" and we never did. LOL!!!

• Like 1

This is one of those cases where those who try to bend the law (like Guns&ReligionCop said with guys using kids as an excuse to fish without a license) forcing the system to put in place laws that result in a harassment for those who follow the law. It sucks but it is what it is and knowing full well that the law is in place, you should have your license. Seriously, it's only $29 for the year and I know $29 can be tough to come by for some people in this economy but it's also not too much to prevent people from getting a license. People argue that it's preventing from sportsman from preserving the sport but the $29 is just as important in preserving the sport. I understand that in this particular case, it is out of state residence fee which is a lot higher. I'm not saying crappyice was intentionally trying to get away with fishing without a license at all. When the law was put in place, it sure did inconvienced a lot of law abiding fishermen/women, but if it wasn't in place, the poachers would run rampant and in the end, we wouldn't be complaining about inconviences because we wouldn't have fishing at all.

A few years back i was stopped like 3 or 4 years in a row,aways good. I got to know one that works my area great guy a lot of help. Met another through a friend he is a nice guys as well.

Now FISHING... A bunch of years back at fair Haven State Park,not so much. Me and a friend were on the pier neither of us had rods. Our kids were young and we were putting on worms and taking off Sunny's.

Up comes DEC boat a young guy and an old guy,I figure FTO and rookie. the young guy asks for my Lic. I say i don't even have a pole ! Just helping the kids, with cheap kids poles ect. He say you need an Lic. for that I have one good to go.

Next he asks my friend he says his wallet is up at camp, and he buys a Sportsman every year but last year he was so busy at work he knew he could not hunt and was unsure if he bought it.

Cop runs his name no Lic. = ticket for baiting his kids hooks....

Now heres the pisser, the dec cop walks over to a 3rd Dad who is doing the same thing with his kid, the Dad heard our converstions and raises his hands out and shakes his head NO. The DEC cop says THATS ALL RIGHT and walks away.....

WHAT ??? Joes gets a ticket i get checked and he gets nothing ???

We did not raise a stink as Joe already got a ticket so all that would happen is the 3rd Dad would.That was totel BS though.

Edited by Larry302

........Now FISHING... A bunch of years back at fair Haven State Park,not so much. Me and a friend were on the pier neither of us had rods. Our kids were young and we were putting on worms and taking off Sunny's......

.....We did not raise a stink as Joe already got a ticket so all that would happen is the 3rd Dad would.That was totel BS though.

There's some more of that "discretion" again ..... lol. I call it "laws that are written for arbitrary enforcement" and the conservation law books are riddled with it. Ah, but what are you going to do about it? ..... nothing you can do.

Same thing happen to my brother in-law here in NY. To me it is BS when someone gets a ticket for helping little ones fish..

I would think buying the license removes the worry, and it is cheaper than the ticket. Common sense is not so common I guess.

• Like 1