Hunter/Game Warden relationships

You are right Doc. All in all it was still a cheap fun day with the kids. Reminds me of a guy I know who cut down 2 trees blocking his view of the Lake, they were in wet lands or something and he got fined $2,000, $1,000 per tree.

He handed the judge $4,000, the judge said its only two...

"thats for the other two I've yet to take down! " If ya got the money its no big deal .

As far as my encounters, they have been positive. I deal with them on a different level than most. Both in hunter ed classes and court. However, if I meet them n the woods, or fishing, I treat them with the respect due for doing their jobs. But since I do not break the laws, and can prove I am not with such silly things as making sure my gun is unloaded, or my bow is disabled at the end of legal hunting hours, I have no reason to be worried. Granted, I doubt they would put the hammer on me, but with the same as the police officers I deal with stopped me for speeding, I would expect the ticket. You get what you give. The funny part of all these types of posts is in every scenario, the dec officer is expected to over look the laws and give everyone a break, or if they get a ticket ask the judge to give them a break. . Umm no obey the laws, there is no need to give anyone a break. Tow guys who have been hunting at my camp went down to 8j to hunt last week. They came home with a handful of tickets to include loaded gun in a vehicle and having an untagged deer in the vehicle. The first thing they whined to me this weekend was the officer was young and a prick. I said did you ave loaded guns in the truck and did you have an untagged deer. The response was yes but, umm there is no but. Break the law expect the tickets. You have to give respect to get respect.

• Like 1

Only had two encounters in all the years hunting and fishing. State land in Roscoe NY. My brother and I set up camp off the road and put a couple of nails in the trees to hold up lanterns and such. Game warden came by shooting the shit with us and after 20 minutes, winked, and said remove the nails from the trees. That is illegal and will cost you if I come back tomorrow. Well tomorrow cam and I shot a buck. Hung him in a tree from a.... no not a nail...heavy tree limb. Different game warden stopped by, jumped out of his truck ran up to the deer and turned the tag back and forth, to me it seemed a hundred times. Looked at me and pointed is this your deer, I said yes, come here son he replied. I didn't fill out the DMP zone where the buck was killed. I quickly fixed my mistake and on he went. These guys were cool but pretty much down to business when it came to screwing around in their neighborhood.

i dont know how the state expects a person to follow every nit picking law especially when some of them are as rediculous and arbitrary as some mentioned here. Some of you speak of common sense, well when the hell is the state going to get some common sense of their own.... how are we to take them seriously and obey the laws when the law in place sounds like more of a joke than anything?

sorry but with my own personal experience with police/dec on the snowmobile trails its hard for me to take them seriously, its like the boy who cried wolf. Ill tell you why, while obeying a traffic stop one of my buddies was in the process of getting a ticket for a modified exhaust, and i was getting bitched at for not stopping AT the stop sign 30ft before the actual intersection burried in the brush and trees. meanwhile more sleds pull up and every single one of them had their johnny snocross fart can on their sleds and were asked to pull off to the side. they did, then after they all grouped up they took off before the officer made it over to check their sleds.. police/dec glance over see that they are taking off and go back to writing tickets for other "violaters" of the law. when asked why arent you going after them? their response was, " oh were not chasing anyone, we cant run the risk of a lawsuit if anyone gets injured, not only that they'd be so far ahead of us by the time we got are sleds started it wouldn't be worth it"..... i laughed in the guys face and told him, thanks for the headsup, looks like the next traffic stop ill just keep on keepin on. since then i havent gotten anymore tickets for the money hungry sobs in albany.

Whenever I encounter NYS DEC while fishing or hunting they don’t really bother me too much. On a boat they can be a PIA, but usually they just move along. However I hunt a lot of NY city property and their DEP folks aren’t that bright. About 4 years ago a shot a respectable 8 points (120 inches). After dragging it to the DEP parking area, the women DEP cop proceeds to check my license and the deer. She then asks me if it’s a male or female deer. The few other hunters in the parking lot almost fell over laughing at the poor women. I actually felt bad for her.

• Like 1

i dont know how the state expects a person to follow every nit picking law especially when some of them are as rediculous and arbitrary as some mentioned here. Some of you speak of common sense, well when the hell is the state going to get some common sense of their own.... how are we to take them seriously and obey the laws when the law in place sounds like more of a joke than anything?

sorry but with my own personal experience with police/dec on the snowmobile trails its hard for me to take them seriously, its like the boy who cried wolf. Ill tell you why, while obeying a traffic stop one of my buddies was in the process of getting a ticket for a modified exhaust, and i was getting bitched at for not stopping AT the stop sign 30ft before the actual intersection burried in the brush and trees. meanwhile more sleds pull up and every single one of them had their johnny snocross fart can on their sleds and were asked to pull off to the side. they did, then after they all grouped up they took off before the officer made it over to check their sleds.. police/dec glance over see that they are taking off and go back to writing tickets for other "violaters" of the law. when asked why arent you going after them? their response was, " oh were not chasing anyone, we cant run the risk of a lawsuit if anyone gets injured, not only that they'd be so far ahead of us by the time we got are sleds started it wouldn't be worth it"..... i laughed in the guys face and told him, thanks for the headsup, looks like the next traffic stop ill just keep on keepin on. since then i havent gotten anymore tickets for the money hungry sobs in albany.

So they should have ordered you and your friends to stay put, chased the other guys and made you wait until that whole deal was over???? I think you would have bitched about that too. Just a hunch. IMHO if you get caught you get caught. Just think of all the times you didn't get caught. ....... Ball up

• Like 1

So they should have ordered you and your friends to stay put, chased the other guys and made you wait until that whole deal was over???? I think you would have bitched about that too. Just a hunch. IMHO if you get caught you get caught. Just think of all the times you didn't get caught. ....... Ball up

i wouldnt have complained they had plenty of personnel to take care of a situation like that and handle a road stop at the same time. and maybe i should state i have never been in violation with the law on sleds. i have witnessed however the games the police/dec like to play. ive even witnessed a judge lay into an officer for his "tactics" to issue tickets to otherwise law abiding people. reason enough for me to continue on my merry way and not have to deal with them.

i wouldnt have complained they had plenty of personnel to take care of a situation like that and handle a road stop at the same time. and maybe i should state i have never been in violation with the law on sleds. i have witnessed however the games the police/dec like to play. ive even witnessed a judge lay into an officer for his "tactics" to issue tickets to otherwise law abiding people. reason enough for me to continue on my merry way and not have to deal with them.

what "tactics" are the using that cause law abiding citizens to break the law? I can't wait to hear this!

what "tactics" are the using that cause law abiding citizens to break the law? I can't wait to hear this!

during tug hills annual snirt run.... cops were set up at the start of a trail that was previously open during the snowmobiling season but closed as of 4/1. when a snowmobile or four wheeler would head down the trail only feet from the cops, the cops would let them go right on by then proceed to pull them over further down and write them a ticket. pretty awesome i pay my dues to nys and the ever inflating registration fees so law enforcement can pull this kind of crap isnt it?

during tug hills annual snirt run.... cops were set up at the start of a trail that was previously open during the snowmobiling season but closed as of 4/1. when a snowmobile or four wheeler would head down the trail only feet from the cops, the cops would let them go right on by then proceed to pull them over further down and write them a ticket. pretty awesome i pay my dues to nys and the ever inflating registration fees so law enforcement can pull this kind of crap isnt it?

shouldn't you know when the trail's are closed? no different than them handing out speeding tickets in an area where the speed limit drops to a lower speed and the people don't comply......not sure, but I think that's part of their job.

shouldn't you know when the trail's are closed? no different than them handing out speeding tickets in an area where the speed limit drops to a lower speed and the people don't comply......not sure, but I think that's part of their job.

the trails that are closed arent marked in any way signifying that they are closed or close 4/1. my point is if the cops were there for the people, they would have said something before anyone went down it!!! all it takes is one of their sleds/wheelers in the middle of the trail or a wave to get a persons attention to then inform them the trails closed!!!

for this particular event the only way to know what trails are open is by a map that the surrounding businesses make for the participants. but in order to get those maps 9 times out of 10 you have to traverse half the hill to get there all the while not knowing some of the trails you could be on are closed!!

Well, let's see now-where to begin. Still going to court for this bs on the car. Went today, the Public Defender proved I had been totally legal-citing all the evidence she had in her file-nonetheless, I have to go to trial to prove my innocence. Apparently, innocent until proven guilty, went out the window. Now, it's guilty until proven innocent.

I remember some years ago, when I was hunting on East Mountain in Philipstown. I had this one ECO check me 4 days in a row for my license. I was absolutely legit. On the 5th day, he was up there again, except he had this rookie ECO with him. I was coming out of one section of woods, crossing a dirt road to get to the other section. Once again, I get asked for my license. This time, it was by the new ECO. He told me to put my gun on the car, and show him my license. I said that I would not put the gun on the car, until I unloaded it. This fool kept at it, until I had to comply. When I finally did put the gun on the car (he literally would NOT let me unload it), he told me he could give me a ticket for that. I responded that he told me to do it. The more experienced ECO pulled him aside, and reminded him that he did instruct me to put the gun on the car that way, and told him that giving me a ticket for it would not be such a good idea. The point is, some of them are real pieces of garbage. I respect people when they respect me. And, I do NOT support the police state mentality that seems to be so prevalent today.

• Like 4

So its tactically wrong to set up in front of something thats closed while being highly visable and summonsing that person that vagrently breaks the law in front of you?

No. They get "surcharges" instead.

No police getting nothing from their tickets not even a pat on the back. The money all goes to the county.

the cop's don't get the surcharges it go's to the same place the ticket money does...........how many of you can show up for work and do nothing and not do what your job entails? you think an Officer's employer expects any less?

Who said the cops get the surcharges? If I recall, it was referenced to the "sobs in Albany". We had a little saying in the Army-it was called "Attention To Detail."

Who said the cops get the surcharges? If I recall, it was referenced to the "sobs in Albany". We had a little saying in the Army-it was called "Attention To Detail."

Did they also have a saying for bending the law as long as the people in charge of enforcing it let some violation's slide?