Hunter/Game Warden relationships

Do you have any clue how many "wrongful tickets" I've seen brought up in the court I've been going to? There was a disabled woman in court today, who got a ticket for "expired handicap parking placard". The problem is, that the damned thing didn't expire for another month. That's just one instance. If I were to take an estimate, I would have to say that around 3% of the tickets that were issued by the police in this particular jurisdiction, were completely wrong. I know only too well. I got a ticket for no insurance, even though I had insurance. I got a ticket for probably the biggest BS thing of all-Not updating change of address to the DMV. Of course, my driving abstract shows differently. No matter-we'll try to get him for something! Nope-nothing wrong there.

The question I've got, is are the officers who issued these bogus tickets held responsible?

Did they also have a saying for bending the law as long as the people in charge of enforcing it let some violation's slide?

Not everyone is bending the law, as you perceive. The fact of the matter is, there are plenty of cops who bend the law. I used to do overnight delivery, and it's amazing what you see then. Constant speeding in cop cars-just to stop at the Dunkin Donuts, or to get on to the center divider, ironically, to catch someone else speeding. I used to hunt with one cop, and fish with another. They pulled no punches about what some cops do wrong.

Edited by 13BVET

The effect of this fiasco for me? $700 to get my car out of impoundment. Lost my job. Whatever little finances I had are decimated. Yep-works great! The question is-who watches them?

i wonder the same thing. i dont think they care much with how much revenue they generate in certain instances.

they're not really "wrongful tickets", maybe "Bs tickets", but not wrongful......here's a good example, if you're hunting in an area that require's you to wear a backtag, and you're not, the presumption is that you're hunting without a license.........you may get stopped and say "I forgot to put it on, here it is in my pocket"..........the Officer is well within the law to ticket you, wrongful? no...B.S.? pretty much.

umm if it is a bogus ticket as inferred, the judge keeps them in check. They throw it out. A record is kept of every dismissed ticket to include the reason and the writing officer. This report goes to the police agency supervisors for their records also. Too many bogus tickets, and the officer is talked to about it. If you had insurance and got a ticket for not and it was dismissed for the reason, it was a bogus ticket, sue the police agency and the officer, and get your money back. If the ticket held up in court after you could prove proof of insurance, then you are screwed. I am curious to find out how a bogus o insurance ticket cost you your job. If this is the way it was, send me a pm, I will send you in the direction to make it right.

Edited by bubba

umm if it is a bogus ticket as inferred, the judge keeps them in check. They throw it out. A record is kept of every dismissed ticket to include the reason and the writing officer. This report goes to the police agency supervisors for their records also. Too many bogus tickets, and the officer is talked to about it. If you had insurance and got a ticket for not and it was dismissed for the reason, it was a bogus ticket, sue the police agency and the officer, and get your money back. If the ticket held up in court after you could prove proof of insurance, then you are screwed. I am curious to find out how a bogus o insurance ticket cost you your job. If this is the way it was, send me a pm, I will send you in the direction to make it right.

Thats correct, If an officer has multiply tickets dismissed they are reprimanded and sent for retraining.

they're not really "wrongful tickets", maybe "Bs tickets", but not wrongful......here's a good example, if you're hunting in an area that require's you to wear a backtag, and you're not, the presumption is that you're hunting without a license.........you may get stopped and say "I forgot to put it on, here it is in my pocket"..........the Officer is well within the law to ticket you, wrongful? no...B.S.? pretty much.

Okay-I definitely strayed off course on this one. I was talking about the cops-not DEC. Outside of that one incident, I haven't had any issues with the ECO's.

Bubba-I delivered overnight with my own vehicle. Once I lost my vehicle-naturally-I was screwed.

look here is the way it is. im a fire lt in a high crime rate city, I,ve been to close to 200 shootings many before the cops were on scene , some when the shooter was still there.... where i work cops could give a crap if your are driving 20 over the speed limit or had a couple beers after work. They have more important things to do. Now out in the sticks they'er bored off their a$$ and are looking for things to do.

Oh you put a worm on your kids hook. thats their biggest crime of the week lol.

Those guys would crap their pants if they'd have to face real bad guys .Its much safer to hassle the working man over bs .

I've never had a problem with an eco, and have had eco and biologists on my property trapping turkey and leg banding them. Got to know a few of them well and they stop by to check the harvest every year. Even was a shock to my neighbor who was complaining about my camp shooting all the deer and how we were all over his property, eco took all his info and came to see me, saw no problem with my camp, walked across my line to go see my neighbor in his stand and cited him for salt blocks and baitpiles found while walking his property! karma is a bitch!!

• Like 1

I'm sure we could have a field day if we got a glimpse into some of the job's other people have and how petty most of their task's are.......unfortunately most Law Enforcement Officer's are out there for the public to see and complain about, although it's mostly the violator's who seem to complain the most......not everyone get's to go to work and hide in a cubicle or behind the glass at McDonald's drive through.

• Like 1

look here is the way it is. im a fire lt in a high crime rate city, I,ve been to close to 200 shootings many before the cops were on scene , some when the shooter was still there.... where i work cops could give a crap if your are driving 20 over the speed limit or had a couple beers after work. They have more important things to do. Now out in the sticks they'er bored off their a$$ and are looking for things to do.

Oh you put a worm on your kids hook. thats their biggest crime of the week lol.

Those guys would crap their pants if they'd have to face real bad guys .Its much safer to hassle the working man over bs .

I live in NYC, one of the highest crime rates in the US probably, and it's exactly the opposite here. We get ticketed for bogus parking tickets, and pulled over for crossing solid lines.

People just don't like to admit they were wrong and rather act like a victim, those 3% that were dismissed doesn't mean they weren't legit it just means that they just beat the ticket. It's very simple if you don't want a ticket park your car legally, don't speed, get your car inspected, don't drive drunk, have valid insurance, regisltration and drivers license and then you will have no problems!

• Like 1

People just don't like to admit they were wrong and rather act like a victim, those 3% that were dismissed doesn't mean they weren't legit it just means that they just beat the ticket. It's very simple if you don't want a ticket park your car legally, don't speed, get your car inspected, don't drive drunk, have valid insurance, regisltration and drivers license and then you will have no problems!

Unfortunately, not all people that show up for court deserves to be there. I can't speak for others but I've received my share of tickets that were legit, and those that the cop knew he was in the wrong, but issued it anyway. Just like any other human, cops also don't like to admit being wrong. As civilians, we don't like to be inconvenienced by the incompetence of those that are supposed to be professional and serve the community.

Unfortunately, not all people that show up for court deserves to be there. I can't speak for others but I've received my share of tickets that were legit, and those that the cop knew he was in the wrong, but issued it anyway. Just like any other human, cops also don't like to admit being wrong. As civilians, we don't like to be inconvenienced by the incompetence of those that are supposed to be professional and serve the community.

What kind of summons did you get that the cop was wrong?

and some people think because of their situation, not being able to afford insurance, register their cars or bend the hunting rules because they need food to live, expect the Officer's to give them a break......too bad, the amount of people who are on the level far outway them and it wouldn't be fair to those who do make sure they are legit.....so boo hoo.