sterling today

samcolt87

Hi guys,

Decided to go do some hunting in Sterling Forest today. I was feeling really ambitious, so I hiked off the trail for a few hours, carefully choosing my steps and moving slowly. Anyways, once I got way out to about a mile off the trail, following some rock outcroppings and various deer signs I saw a pretty big buck! Unfortunately he had seen/ smelled me first and took off. I cursed myself for a while, but as a newbie hunter it was also nice to know I actually did something right! I guess the rest comes with experience. Maybe I'll head back up to that spot during the week in muzzleloader season when the park totally clears out. How has every one else been doing?

Opening day was surprisingly quite. Half the number of cars compared to previous years. 4 of us hunted and one got a beautful 8 pt and the other got a doe and a big 6 pt. We were dragging out 3 deer before 10.

Yesterday I walked up on a bear and got within 30 yards of him and aimed and said to myself - bang your dead - and let him go. It was really cool to see him. At the same time my buddy jumped a monster buck, so there are some out there.