First Buck Down

Robinson446

Been hunting the Gilbertsville Rod and Gun club opening weekend for years, same exact spot every year. Upon walking in to my spot, I was stopped by another hunter who I know who started giving me crap about hunting to close to his stand that he just placed in a tree probably 50 yards from my spot that He knew I hunt every time. We argued about it for a few minutes and I saw that I was just pissing in the wind and the sun was going to be coming up any time, so I told him Ill give him the spot today, but im hunting it the next day. He walked to his stand and i walked down about 300 yards. About 45 minutes in I heard a grunt and a shot. I got ready and waited. Turns out he missed, the buck came running 75 yards from me and stopped, I let him have it. Dropped him in his tracks with the ol Marlin 30-30. I gut him, tag him, start dragging him out, the guy the gets out of his stand and shakes my hand and tells me good job on the first buck which i respect him doing. Then he tells me he was simply shooting in the air to get him moving towards me because he didnt want to shoot him because he wasnt a slammer. Oh well! My first buck, Im happy with him! ill post pictures later!

• Like 2

Congrats on your deer. And as far as shooting to get a deer moving "your way", what a joke. The more likely real deal is that he "missed", was feeling like crap, saw you with the deer that you shot that he missed despite him hijacking your favorite spot, and was too embarrassed to just say nothing, so he got down to put a bandaid on his injured ego and provide it some desperately needed damage control.

Then on the other hand maybe he just wanted to see what a deer looks like close up. LOL!

Robinson, where have you been?? Congrats on your buck. Before I even opened this thread I knew it wasn't going to be just an ordinary kill story!! LOL Just not possible I reckon when Robinson goes a huntin'. LOL

I thought the same thing. Way to go on the first buck! Shooting into the air, what a bunch of malarkey!

• 2 months later...