New to reloading

josephmrtn

lol yeah i stay pretty busy! i aint got time for the stupid crap some young people get into nowadays.... its actually sorta fun workin hard! and if im not workin im usually hunting doin school or something like that, and now that im getting a reloader i will prob spend a lot of time reloading.....

its 308 win 30-06 springfield and 270 win... how much would you be asking?

I don't want anything.

Anyone willing to work off a debt by hauling slurry to get started gets a freebee.

My stuff is in a friends reloading room, I can grab it after Christmas as he's out of town til then.

I reload for some calibers there....375H/H, 8x57IS, 300 Wby.....the Wby is a new barrel and we still need to refine a load early next year.

Others like my 270Win, I have a few years supply when I bought out a dealer who mismarked his pricing and I bought the whole case of 50 boxes that my rifle really likes (and a bullet type I like). And no I didn't take advantage of him, I pointed out the mistake and we agreed I'd buy it all for what was his price. Couldn't buy the parts at the time for the price. 44 1/2 boxes to go. LOL

lol thanks dinsdale, u still have my address? u can ship it any time i should be getting the stuff to start reloading within a couple weeks but dont need em right away as i will need to get all my powder and stuff after i look at the reloading manual for the "recipe"...

Hey is the book, Lee Second Edition Of Modern Reloading, a good book for me to start with? and do i need any more books than that?

I checked and I couldn't see a date on when it was published or printed. It looks as though it is the most recent one??

There probably isn't a "bad" reloading book, just outdated info. You can get almost any load data off the bullet or powder manufacturers web sites and that should be the most up to date.

Each book can have little tidbits or tips that can be of great value.

Merry Christmas kiddo!

Yeah i ordered the book yesterday... it looks to be the latest one... what should i be looking for in a reloading bench? whether i buy or build is still up in the air but im tolerable w power tools and woodworkin... are these good ideas?

Merry Christmas!!!

Reloading bench:

Build it strong. Some operations can require some relatively heavy cantilevered force. I used 2x6's for the framework all bolted together.

Build it with adequate counter space. Regardless of what you have today, there may be other items added to your equipment that will require mounting or use on your counter space. It is a real pain to have to stop and put stuff away just to make room for the next step.

Make the counter area out of smooth hard materials. An old kitchen counter top or a solid layer of masonite (no seams), fastened down firmly over a plank underlayment works well. Good for clean-up.

Use plenty of overhead shelf space for strorage ...... plenty! At first, it may look like a lot of wasted space, but as your equipment and components grow you will be glad to have extra storage space.

Try to arrange things such that you can perform as many operations from a chair as possible. For example, I noticed one of those pictures had the powder dispenser mounted up on a shelf that would require you to stand everytime you dispensed a powder charge. You'll be feeling like a jack-in-the-box.

I did not do this, but it seems like a good idea ..... put a shallow lip around the perimeter of the work surface. Primers, bullets, shotgun pellets, and all kinds of other small trinkets have a life of their own when dropped or spilled. Once they are off the bench, they know exactly where to hide .... lol.

Make sure that the lighting is exceptional. You have to be able to see every operation (from all angles) as it is being performed.

Design everything for quick and complete clean-up. It's not good to have loose powder or other reloading components laying around.

Be careful about under-counter shelves. Unless you are a fan of spending hours standing up (I can't do it), there has to be knee-space for when you are sitting up at the bench. Also, keep a sitting position in mind when setting up the counter height You don't want to have to work with your chin resting on the counter ..... lol.

I'll bet I have forgotten a lot of things. Maybe others can add to the design requirements. The design of the bench is one thing you don't want to be doing over and over as the operation expands.

• Like 1

hey would this:

http://www.midwayusa..._vc=sugv1136199

be better than this:

http://www.midwayusa...rip?cm_vc=subv1

the vid you posted the guy had one that went on his drill....

I believe the first one comes with the Turret press if tha tis thte one you got. The second one I bought becasue if I am only doing a small amount I do it by hand.

Aslo don't forget the guages and shell holder for the cutters. You need one for each caliber.

I believe the first one comes with the Turret press if tha tis thte one you got. The second one I bought becasue if I am only doing a small amount I do it by hand.

Aslo don't forget the guages and shell holder for the cutters. You need one for each caliber.

yup i got all that.... glad to c ya back here culver i gleaned quite a pile of info off you... are you the guy who made that vid? or did you just find it youtube?

Edited by josephmrtn