New to reloading

josephmrtn

I didn't make the video but it was one I watched even before I read the manual. I have the Lee manual and it is nice especially if you are using Lee equipment. It talks yuo step by step through everything in the set up.

No corner cutting and you will be just fine.

the Lee 2nd Edition Of Modern Reloading? thats the one i got... and yes i got the Lee turret press

YES!!!!!!!!! i got my Lee 2nd Edition of Modern Reloading book today! Lawdawz i looked it the front of the book, it says: Copyright 2003 by richard lee, revised and reformated 2011, reprinted 2012

so yeah its the newest one... ive already read thru most of it and reread some of it.... the most confusing thing i can find is what powder should i use? for 308 winchester 150 grain jacketed bullet there are 26 different kinds of powder with min amounts ranging from 37.0 grains (H332 powder) to 45.1 grains (VEC TU5000 powder) and thats just 308 win i didnt even look at 30-06 or 270 yet... any tips would be much appreciated!!! hopefully my reloading kit, dies, ect. get here within the next few days!

Joseph.. This is where some of the experienced handloaders on the site can help you out..I'm not a good enough typist to list all the REASONS why certain powders work better with certain bullet weights in certain calibers, but I can give you some good powders to try..

For .308 with 150 grainers...IMR or Hodgdon 4895, Winchester 760, IMR 4064, Alliant RL-15.

30-06 with 150 grainers...IMR 4064, IMR or Hodgdon 4350, Alliant RL-19.

270 with either 130 or 150 grain bullets..IMR or Hodgdon 4350, IMR or H4831, Alliant RL-19.

THANKS!!!!!!! nice!!! i just checked and found all the powders you mentioned except the Alliant RL-19 and RL-15 of course i might just not know how to read powder charts yet... lol

i think i prob will use IMR or Hodgdon 4350 for 270 and 30-06 since i can use it for both, and prob just try several powders for 308... waddaya think? we are not tournament or even target shooters that much so my friends just sorta want something they can put in their gun aim at a deer pull the trigger and have the deer die... (of course we always tease each other that "you never hit the deer just when you shot it looked up and saw ur ugly face and had a heart attack and died" lol lol) im a slightly more "targetish" and will prob try out a few powders to see what shoots best...

YES!!!!!!!!! i got my Lee 2nd Edition of Modern Reloading book today! Lawdawz i looked it the front of the book, it says: Copyright 2003 by richard lee, revised and reformated 2011, reprinted 2012

so yeah its the newest one... ive already read thru most of it and reread some of it.... the most confusing thing i can find is what powder should i use? for 308 winchester 150 grain jacketed bullet there are 26 different kinds of powder with min amounts ranging from 37.0 grains (H332 powder) to 45.1 grains (VEC TU5000 powder) and thats just 308 win i didnt even look at 30-06 or 270 yet... any tips would be much appreciated!!! hopefully my reloading kit, dies, ect. get here within the next few days!

Good deal.

Have you thought about bullets yet? (I didn't refresh my memory and reread the entire thread) Once you grab a certain bullet for the gun, go to the bullet manufacturers website and see what info. you can garner.

As a starter.......

http://www.nosler.com/reloading-data.aspx

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/load-data/

This information is invaluable as it is usually updated often by the "powers that be".

You certainly don't NEED the fastest load but sometimes they are the most accurate. Most company's will tell you what load was/is the most accurate in THEIR testing and that is a good hint!

I prefer the Hodgdon powder as it is ball type and works well out of a powder measure . My son bought some R-19 and it doesn't measure well . Maybe it's just me ..........

Hodgdon also makes extruded powders , such as H4831, H4895, H4350 and others.

I agree that the "stick" powders don't meter out as well in a powder measure, but that has never been an issue with me since my loading is not high volume and I weigh every charge.

Just started using Hodgdon H4350, and have been impressed with the consistancy of dispensing. But still, I dispense just under and trickle the rest. I don't want any excuses for bullets not hitting in the same hole other than my own shooting .... lol. I don't load great quantities, so I can take that extra little effort.

For the most part, the only time I "throw" powder is when I'm loading for the 223 or the 223ai. H335 is what I'm using and it meters well.

All my other loading is one at a time, from the bottle onto the scale. Slowwwww but sure. No problem........

You might want to look into buying a powder trickler. Set up your powder dispenser so it is about two or three tenths under the desired charge and trickle in a few pieces of powder to bring it up to exactly what you want. It's a very accurate and kind of quick-ish way of getting every round exactly to the same charge.

i saw an easy tip for trickling in the last few grains.... get an old casing ur not going to reload and fill it partway with powder and then turn it on its side and roll it back and forth between ur finders and let it trickle out....

NO Lawdawz i dont have ANY bullets picked out... any tips? also are hollow point (HP) bullets good for deer? i know FMJ are not the way to go as they will just punch holes thru the deer and not make nice wound channels... i would like to load some Hornady SST in 308 and possibly the other cals too cause of what i saw this yr in preformance... but i really dont care what the bullets name is or look is as long as it kills deer lol

Thanks for all the tips!!!!!! WesterNY you should buy a reloading book like i got and read thru it, i can almost guaranty you will buy the reloading stuff afterwards!!! lol i love reading thru this book it has TONS of info, more than i can EVER use...

hehehehe..I own a powder trickler, but I never use it...I just use a plastic spoon and tap it with my finger to dribble in the last few grains.

Joseph..There are many bullet designs these days, but MOST hollow points are either match bullets or varmint bullets. Standard soft point spitzers work fine for deer..Any .270 bullets from 130 grain and heavier and any .30 cal. bullets from 150 grains and heavier are designed for deer sized game or larger, as long as they are an expanding "soft point" type bullet.

I like Nosler ballistic tips, but have also had good results with Nosler partitions,Speer hot cores, Sierra Game kings, Hornady spire points and interlocks,and Winchester power points.

Currently, I'm loading Barnes TTSX in all of my hunting rifles except my Garand M1 (30-06) ,but they are somewhat more expensive and really not necessary for deer..I load them because they perform really well in my rifles and because I'm somewhat of a "rifle looney"...

• Like 1

You might want to look into buying a powder trickler. Set up your powder dispenser so it is about two or three tenths under the desired charge and trickle in a few pieces of powder to bring it up to exactly what you want. It's a very accurate and kind of quick-ish way of getting every round exactly to the same charge.

Naw, I like my method. I can load 50 cases pretty quick and they are very consistent in weight although I know that is not as important as you'd think.

My biggest challenge is setting up the sizing dies and getting concentrically loaded rounds. Whatever you do, don't buy one of these.......

Humbling........

Lawdwaz, dont buy what? my computer dont show it for some strange reason...

It shows a concentricity gauge, made by Sinclair. It helps to show you how incredibly crooked your newly loaded rounds are! Don't sweat it, you don't need it and neither did I. I was just curious how my loaded rounds looked as far as how concentric they were.

They weren't and I wrestle with it every day. It's just another dimension of reloading that makes it fun for me.