Need help deciding on a new 30.06 and 12Ga

Tony7781

i own a mossberg 835 turkey and duck barrels. I'd recommend the small increase in cost for the 835 over the 535 though. Your shoulder will thank you. I have a browning gold edition for deer. But really you can get a nice 835, buy 3 barrels (1 rifled for slugs) and put a scope on it and you're set for most new york game for about $800.

I'm currently rifle shopping as well and looking at the remington 700 and winchester model 70 but people are steering me towards the browning A bolt and I like that idea... I'm also torn on 30-06 or 308...

I have a Rem. 700 in 30-06 that I have taken quite a few deer with. It's smooth and accurate. I use to own a model 70 and that was a damn good rifle too so I would say what ever feels the best when you shoulder it.

Do they even make Ithaca's anymore??

Yep they make ithacas again. The company is now based in sandusky ohio I believe. The guns look beautiful but they are pricey

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Always nice to see a fellow SI'er on the forum.

Personally I have a Rem 700 (not in 30-06, but my 300WSM kicks harder and you can still put 20-25 rounds through it before you start getting a little sore). My turkey gun is a Rem 870 12g that I love. I have a slug barrel with it too, but I've never used it because I never bothered getting it scoped.

Since you have the time and you are smart enough to start looking at it now I would recommend shopping around for something old with some character. Nothing shoots like an old gun. Browning, Winchester, Remington, Ithaca all good names. Anyone can walk into the local shop and get the latest and greatest but lead has been firing down steel barrels and killing game for a long time. As previously stated - one mans opinion.

Also - Because I have old guns and some were not cared for very well (so hunting in the elements doesnt do them any justice) I bought a mossberg 535 a few years back and I love it. (wood stock)

Always nice to see a fellow SI'er on the forum.

Personally I have a Rem 700 (not in 30-06, but my 300WSM kicks harder and you can still put 20-25 rounds through it before you start getting a little sore). My turkey gun is a Rem 870 12g that I love. I have a slug barrel with it too, but I've never used it because I never bothered getting it scoped.

Hey man nice to meet you. Do you ever shoot at the colonial range? Im thinking of joining it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Rem 870 is a tank. I have beat my through the bush for almost 20 years with not one issue. I saw dicks had them on sale w/ scoped slug barrel and bird barrel for 260. You cannot beat that deal. My dad is on season 47 with his and same, no problems, ever. As far as the rifle goes, im also a fan of the rems.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Winchester Model 70 is arguablely the best rifle out there. Get one of the newer ones with the new adjuastable trigger and they went back to old style bolt like the pre 64's unlike the frail bolts of a remington 700.

Either a mossberg or remington pump are great because of how adaptable of a gun they are. I prefer the mossberg because I use a regular stock and like the safety location

What do you mean by frail bolts on Remington 700? I've never had, or personally heard of anyone having a problem, and I know a lot of people that use, and abuse this particular firearm. Is this something new? Seems to me that if the rifle did have a problem, it wouldn't be such a popular choice. This may be a good topic for an episode of myth busters.

Try the remington or browning autos if you dont like the kick of the 30-06. My remington 06 kicks about like a 308. You need to treat them with a little TLC and keep them clean and oil free and remember to close the bolt all the way but you wont even know your shooting a 30-06.

Edited by erussell

I hunt with a Rem. 700 in 30-06 or a Ruger M77 in 7mm-08. Both excellent rifles. So are the Brownings and the Winchester. IMHO they are so close I would say pick the one that shoulders and feels the best. Same with shotguns. Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Browning BPS, Ithaca are all good and can be bought with the bird and deer barrels. For a bird barrel I prefer the 26" barrel but thats me.

If you think recoil will be a problem with a 30-06 look into the 7mm-08. mild recoil and heavy thump on deer.

if your not "set" on a 30-06 ive got a savage model 11 308. and love it... almost zero recoil, i also have two friends that have Rem 700 in 270 win. and like em, as far as shotguns ive always liked mossbergs they seem the best quality for a good price. i think i paid about 500.00 for my mossberg 930 semi auto brand new at gander mountain... its the goose model of the 930 so it has a pretty long barrel (i think its around 29 in. but im not sure) and its black w a synthetic stock, i want to get a shorter barrel sometime for turkey hunting...

For a 30-06 the new barret mrad is a spectacular platform. the saiga 12 is a very reliable shot gun..... oh wait we cant own those anymore. guess ill have to suggest my ruger #1 for the -06, accurate and very reliable, and with the right recoil pad not bad to shoot. for a shot gun an 870 rem is very relible kick is mild (with normal loads) manageable with heavy loads. if your very recoil alert back the rifle down to a 257roberts or 25-06 good for everything in ny and much easier on the shoulder. maybe even a 20ga in the 870. my 13yr old daughter shoots trap with an 870 in a 20 ga and has done 3 rounds (75 shots) in an afternoon and not whined about it. just remember its about shooting form the proper stance and hold makes all the differance in the world.

What do you mean by frail bolts on Remington 700? I've never had, or personally heard of anyone having a problem, and I know a lot of people that use, and abuse this particular firearm. Is this something new? Seems to me that if the rifle did have a problem, it wouldn't be such a popular choice. This may be a good topic for an episode of myth busters.

The most popular feature of the 700 is the quality for the price(not a bad gun) but its bolt unlike the mauser style bolt of the Model 70 is a lot more likely to fail. example such as a blown primer can disable the extractor and render the firearm useless in the field. Although it doesn't occur often there a certain aspects of the design that I do not like. google model 700 vs model 70 there are probably a million articles debating the 2 rifles strengths and weakness. As a owner of both I'll take my Model 64 in 270 over my model 700 308 any day. That being said my model 700 is incredible gun that shoots like a lazer

The most popular feature of the 700 is the quality for the price(not a bad gun) but its bolt unlike the mauser style bolt of the Model 70 is a lot more likely to fail. example such as a blown primer can disable the extractor and render the firearm useless in the field. Although it doesn't occur often there a certain aspects of the design that I do not like. google model 700 vs model 70 there are probably a million articles debating the 2 rifles strengths and weakness. As a owner of both I'll take my Model 64 in 270 over my model 700 308 any day. That being said my model 700 is incredible gun that shoots like a lazer

I'm sure the marine corps and army took all of this into consideration while choosing the Remington 700 over the model 70 action to base their m40, and m24 sniper rifle. You a ford, chevy, or dodge guy? We can talk about trucks next if ya want.

All depends. Any old truck will do. an f-250 diesel super duty crew cab ( or bigger ) with a lift kit and some good muddin tires to tow your tank sized quad to upstate ny for 3 or 4 weekends a year seems to do the trick. Of course you'd probably have to relocate to the garden state to meet the qualifications to operate such a rig. Trust me the good ole boys up here will really be impressed. All kidding aside, any truck, any gun will do the trick, as long as you get out in the woods and enjoy yourself. No offense meant to any nj people either. My family from nj are guilty of the aforementioned offense

• Like 1

I have both the Remington 700 and Ruger 77,the Remington is atleast 30 years old and the ruger I bought newabout 18 years ago. It's a toss up as whch I like the best. My next rifle will be a Ruger 77 in 280 caliber, you can load it light for varmit hunting and heavy for bigger game. I have a cabinet full of centerfire rifles, More then I really need, but once you buy them they are cheap to keep,they don't eant anything and don't make a mess.

I also have a cabinet full of shotguns, I like the older vintage Ithaca 37s, I have a 12 gauge 37 with a plain barrel 28" with a full choke. I like it for turkey hunting and late season grouse hunting, pigeon shooting and other long range shooting. The other 37 is a 16 gauge I bought about thirty years ago, it has a plain 26" barrel with a modified choke. I had it drilled & taped for a scope. I use it for deer hunting and killed a ton of deer with it. You can't beat these old guns, I never had an issue with these. You can find decent older Ithaca's for around $450. I see them here at the gun shows every now I then.

My newest shotgun is the Winchester SuperX3, I was looking at a Kinber 1911 last September at Wholesale Sports in Burlington. The live-in came over and stuck her nose into what I was looking at.On the way out to the car she said "You Are Not Spending $1'200 On A New Gun", So needless to say the following day I wasa proud owner of the Winchester.It's still in the box. I bought the waterfowls package with a 28" barrel and it has several screw in chokes in the box.

I bought a new Marlin 12 ga. bolt action about ten years ago when K Mark quit selling guns. I paid $199 for it. It has a rifled barrel with rifle sights,It's still in the box in the corner of the closet.

I don't know how many shotguns I have in my collection without looking. I like the ol Ithaca model 66 single-shots, Lever action to open it up. The one I like the best is a 20 gauge with a vent-rib barrel, and I like the 410s. If I see them for a decen price I pick the up.

I also like the old Ivers Johnson single-shot shotguns.It's hard to find them in good shape, the ones I have are heavily used, but still shoot. the 20 ga & 12 ga have the matter ribbed barrels.They were made by "Ivers Johnson Gun & Cycle Works"

I also have a few Mossberg 410 bolt actions, and a Bond Coyboy defender derringer hand-gun that shoots 410/45LC and my Thompson Center Contender has a 14" barrel that shots 410/45LC, I might buy a Mossberg 500 in 410 from Wally World just to have one, they are selling for $250.

Depending on what what you plan on doing with your new guns would determine what you should spend your money on. If you are hunting only deer and shooting less the 200 yards I'd buy someting in the 243 to a 30-06 range.

For one specific type of shooting I'd buy a older Ithaca shotgun, For several types of shotgun shooting I'd buy a punp or auto loader with screw-in chokes, Older shotguns with full chokes do-not handle Seel-shot and Slugs, they are too restricted, you need to have the choke opened up by a gunsmith to avoid damage to the barrel and possible injury to you and by-standers.

Here in Washington State there is a gun-smith that will install screw-in chokes in your barrel for $100. So you can buy an older vintage gun and make it more versetile for nominal fee.

Plus if you find a gun that you like and it doesn't fit you right you can find a competent gun-smith and they can fit the gun to you.

I look at it as the over-all cost,If you have a gun that cost you $600, and you keep it for 20 years the yearly cost is $20 a year. After twenty years you''ll more the likely get all of your money back and then some. If you give the gun away after twenty years your only out $5 a month. Some places have a three month lay-awy program with 25% down. I buy a few guns a year on the lay-away plan. When I have an extra $50 I'll put it on the Mossberg 500- 410 pump at Wally-world. Right now I have a 38 SPL revolver on a lay-away plan at the shooting range. It's a easy way to get what you want without breaking the bank. Most people don't have an extra $500, $600 to put out at one time on a sporting item.

wood stocks get scratched and beat up but look and feel better than many (cheap) synthetic stocks. people say there's a difference in recoil but i'll be damned i haven't figured it out yet.

there's a lot of good rifles out there with nice triggers, that shoot well. I've got a Browning Abolt II in 30-06 and it handles like an extension of me but picky when it comes to ammo. I've shot lots of both and never had a failure from a Rem 700 or Win 70. weatherby vangard II's are nice too, TC ventures and Tikka's feel cheaper but know to be shooters. Same with Savage and I love the accu-trigger too. If i was to buy another bolt action rifle it'd have an aluminum bedding block stock, nice trigger around 3lbs, and a 60 degree/short throw bolt.

for shotguns I like to stick to pumps - the Browning BPS is completely ambidextrous, Rem 870 is very popular and dependable, Benelli Supernova's (w/ comforTech stock) are light yet don't pound you with recoil and mine seems to take whatever i throw at it. my mossberg 500 i don't like nearly as much as the others but it works and was cheap, but all the above are affordable and dependable being pumps.