Land owners and doe permits?

biggamefish

Someone told me that if you are a landowner and you are eligible for a land owner permit that you get that permit plus you then can sign up for your regular doe permits. I didn't think this was correct. I always assumed that the land owner permit was one of the 2 doe permits you are allowed. 

You are correct.  Here is the information from the DEC: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/6403.html

• Landowners who own 50 or more contiguous acres of land within a WMU will receive preference on DMP selection. Annually, you must bring your tax map identification number and SWIS code (found on your tax bill) with you when you apply. Be sure to tell the license issuing agent PRIOR to applying that you are a landowner. Lessees do not qualify as landowners. A spouse of a landowner may receive landowner preference, but both spouses may not apply as a landowner for the same parcel of land. Corporate ownership: only one person may be designated by a corporation as the landowner each year no matter how many 50-acre parcels are owned. The corporation must submit an original letter or certified copy of a resolution, dated in the current year, designating the individual and must include the tax map ID and SWIS code information.

Landowners with 50 or more contiguous acres receive preference; it does not result in an additional DMP.

• Like 2

Someone told me that if you are a landowner and you are eligible for a land owner permit that you get that permit plus you then can sign up for your regular doe permits. I didn't think this was correct. I always assumed that the land owner permit was one of the 2 doe permits you are allowed. 

There is no such thing as a landowner permit. A landowner gets their first first permit in the wmu that they own the land in if there’s are doe permits issued in that wmu, it’s the same thing a disabled veteran gets. Disabled veterans preference isn’t wmu specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The closest to a land owner permit would be a DMAP permit. But the land owner would have to show a need for that permit. Then a certain number would be issued. They can only be used during the hunting season. Also I don’t think you have to have 50 acres or more to get them, you just have to show a need for them. (a tree farm)