Not often seen visitor

airedale

Have this little Gray Fox hanging around this spring, there has been a bumper crop of meadow mice aka "Voles" which may be drawing him out of the woods. I know they are around, see them dead on roads or crossing roads at night but I have only seen one Gray Fox ever here, had one pass by me when Deer hunting. 

Reds are a different story I see them all the time.

Al

2022-06-02_182316.png

2022-06-02_182618.png

2097887100033835012MPcVfM_ph.jpg

• Like 12

one of my deer stands has a fallen log that greys like to cross. used to see them fairly regularly, including what I took to be a pair, although this was in early autumn.

Was in a tree stand, and a grey climbed a slanted tree till it was almost 12 feet off the ground. Hung out there for a few minutes and then got back down.

Cool. I've never seen a grey fox or got a pic of one in NY. My Dad's friend shot a 3-legged grey fox in catskills in the 70's.  I shot 2 greys in arizona with an e-caller. They came in super aggressive.

Gray fox have made a huge comeback in our area. I shot one in daylight probably 15-17 years ago, but this past year, I watched the same 3-4 over the course of the season in daylight...maybe 10-15 encounters from the stand. They are really fun to watch and we let them go on purpose. The sounds they make are cool too.

• Like 1

So I had this old Deer leg laying around and hung it from the fence in the area the little Gray Fox was being seen hoping to get a few more photos with him gnawing on it. I look out the kitchen window and he is out there but not interested in the Deer leg, he was pouncing on Voles and was in the company of a couple of hen Turkeys who were wandering around with him paying zero concern or attention just scratching up the leaf litter around the bottom of the fence for whatever they could find. Kind of surprising I think.

Al

2022-06-06_172319.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I have only ever seen a couple of gray fox . This was off of Rt 21 several miles south of Cheshire off of Hawkes Road . It was during Bow Season . I was startled by what I heard as screaming . Finally one of them approached and made the noise . Scary !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I was startled by what I heard as screaming . Finally one of them approached and made the noise . Scary !

Back in my Coon hunting days there were many times I would be in the middle of big woods alone in the middle of the night, some of the sounds I heard would make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. One of the spookiest is a Porcupine screaming during their mating season.

Al

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Back in my Coon hunting days there were many times I would be in the middle of big woods alone in the middle of the night, some of the sounds I heard would make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. One of the spookiest is a Porcupine screaming during their mating season.

Al

Come on Al, Can you imagine how painful that is for the lady porkie?  That would make er scream for sure…….

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Come on Al, Can you imagine how painful that is for the lady porkie?  That would make er scream for sure…….

Reminds me an old expression..." Nervous as a porcupine in mating season".......

• Haha 3