First deer!

Dorsilfin

After a few trips around 3A in the Catskills and seeing nothing but does and spike bucks that were not legal to take, I admitted that hunting one of the scarcest regions for bucks as a beginner with no "Hunting" skill might not yield me anything. Luckily my cousins took me to some private property in 3M where my doe tags were yesterday.

After fumbling my way up a tree with a climber stand (first time using one of those too) I sat for a few hours and froze. Felt like my toes were getting stabbed it was so cold for me.

Just after 10am I texted my cousins and said I'm dying up here and not seeing anything moving they then decided to push the edge of the property.

They texted back, be ready they are going to be coming. I stood up and rolled the hammer back on my Model 94, 30 30 from the early 1950's(lots of family history) and stood ready. A dozen does came barreling over the hillside.

one stopped for a moment giving me the chance I needed. I let the boomstick roar and my aim was true.(thank you shooting every weekend for the past few years)

the result? a textbook hit right through the lung and top of the heart. I was glad as a first timer I was able to give the deer a quick humane death.

Today, my first time butchering. Considering that field dressing was easier then I thought, and didn't even phase me the butchering stage should be easy enough. I'm choosing to do the butchering myself for the taste, I've heard that having a place do it will leave the white/silvery covering on the meat and that makes it very gaming and not taste that great. The couple times I've had venison its been from hand butchered deer so thats what I'm going for.

And also heres my winning picture! Next weekend however now that ill have meat in the freezer, I'm going back to 3A for my Catskill buck.

2012-12-01_10-35-26_998.jpg

• Like 12

Congrats!! great story and deer.... can I ask...in the pic you look to be still in the woods...is that what you were wearing in the climber?...If so that could debunk a for theories...lol ;):P ....Enjoy your harvest

I had a black down jacket on over the lighter jacket pictured with an orange blaze vest. but yeah I didnt want to buy camo gear, I just wore my hiking stuff and threw on an orange vest/hat and called it a day

you remember to take the liver?

sure did, My uncle pretty much demanded the liver should I shoot a deer lol, so I made sure to take care and putting that in a ziplock bag and on a cold rock while I was finishing things up to cool it off quickly. He's looking forward to me stopping by next weekend =)

Man! that's an awful lot of "firsts". First deer, first trip up a tree with a climber, first time butchering, first time field dressing a deer I would imagine, and there you are with your first deer harvest picture. You broke a whole lot of new ground yesterday. Well, congratulations on all those "firsts". Well done.

• Like 2

The silver skin removal is very time consuming. The legs are the worst. It is worth it though in the flavor. Makes better burger too. Took me about 8 hours on the last 130 lb doe, deboning and going through all the meat from steaks to burger. Freezer bags make the job so much easier verses wrapping. Great job on your survival training,. Part 2 is about to begin, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Man! that's an awful lot of "firsts". First deer, first trip up a tree with a climber, first time butchering, first time field dressing a deer I would imagine, and there you are with your first deer harvest picture. You broke a whole lot of new ground yesterday. Well, congratulations on all those "firsts". Well done.

I just finished the process and everything is in the freezer. I am from head to toe exhausted.

I got as much meat as possible off of her, and spent the last 5 hours slowly cutting the silver/white lining off the meat and cleaning it up and freezer bagging it.

I got a couple nice steaks, and 2 roasts from the hind quarters. back straps came out good and are freezing away.

I had for dinner tonight while butchering (weird?) the inside little flanks, my cousin said they are the filet mignon of deer, I chopped them into little 1 inch cuts and butterfly cut them in half, little salt and pepper and into a super hot pan with some butter. got them all browned up and super hot and just chowed down. I've had deer 10 years ago, and back then I thought it was good. Tonight was like the greatest meat I've ever had to date. Is it the excitement of the hunt, or am i really just loving it that much. I'm thinking both.

right now, its time to sit back and relax and enjoy the moment.

• Like 1

You earned it. It always tastes better when you earn it.

Congratulatiosn again..

I am taking my 10 year old daughter out this upcoming weekend for the first time while I muzzle load deer. I'm more looking forward to having ehr out with me than I am about killing something.

Memories.... it's the best flavor of meat!

Congratz on your first deer and super shot!!

I have one comment though just to keep you safe. You mentioned you rolled back the hammer when they started the drive. Remember the safety, which is the hammer on this gun, should never be taken off until you are ready to shoot. You seemd to really enjoy this hunt and I would hate to see an accident happen to prevent further ones.

Again not to harp on you and congratz!!

Congratz on your first deer and super shot!!

I have one comment though just to keep you safe. You mentioned you rolled back the hammer when they started the drive. Remember the safety, which is the hammer on this gun, should never be taken off until you are ready to shoot. You seemd to really enjoy this hunt and I would hate to see an accident happen to prevent further ones.

Again not to harp on you and congratz!!

When should I have rolled the hammer back to the ready to fire state?

when i got the text to be ready they are coming, I figured they are going to barrel through and might only get a split second to get one,which is what happened.

If I had waited till the doe paused for a moment to roll back I could have easily lost my target having to reacquire or miss all together fumbling with rolling the hammer back.

Heading to the cabin this weekend for the closing weekend of gun, Hoping maybe a catskill buck will walk by, but happy none the less with some meat in the freezer and a first deer done from start to finish.