Not a good start to my day

Nytracker

24 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Merging on 86  no where to go as I had 2 tractor trailers side by side . Hit buck with my new truck .20220603_061325.thumb.jpg.728b110cb67101f35b36625ac70dc096.jpg20220603_061316.thumb.jpg.94f31edfffbaa87de731732a3777c179.jpg

When I get it back I'm getting a grill guard ... cow catcher.

Happens.... glad your ok

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Merging on 86  no where to go as I had 2 tractor trailers side by side . Hit buck with my new truck .20220603_061325.thumb.jpg.728b110cb67101f35b36625ac70dc096.jpg20220603_061316.thumb.jpg.94f31edfffbaa87de731732a3777c179.jpg

When I get it back I'm getting a grill guard ... cow catcher.

That’s a damn shame.    Thankfully you avoided injury, the truck can be repaired.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You’re an idiot.   

Your compassion is evident.   Lugnut. :)

haha. well he posted, so once I knew he was healthy and safe I then turned to the buck.

Fun Fact - My Dad hit a siberian husky on a motorcycle once. He flew over the handlebars and down the road. While laying on the ground he saw all these feet of people running towards him. But then they didn't stop. They all ran past him to check out the dead dog. Crazy but true haha

• Like 2

Well that's frustrating. Glad you're ok. 

I was looking at a grill guard when I recently picked up my new to me truck. I was told though that, in the case of an accident, they transfer the energy to the frame. This actually causes more damage than if you take the shot in the grille. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but it seems logical. It was enough to talk me out of it. Something to consider if you're looking at adding one. 

• Thanks 1

Yup I'm ok .. drove it to the ford garage for estimate... can't even look at it until Monday.  I can drive it but the ac condenser is pushed into the radiator  and rubbing  .

Drove to the insurance agents  opened a claim ... guess something happened  at some point and rental insurance was dropped ... im freaking  pissed as other than adding new truck nothing has changed that I agreed to . Waiting for insurance company .. f allstate!

I guess I'm lucky .. living  in Chemung county I have only hit 3 deer in 37 years of driving . 5 years driving delivery truck. I drive 44 miles round trip for the last 24 years . 

Last one I hit I was on my way bowhunting hit a large doe . Only cracked the license plate frame . Trooper had to get a flash light out and inspect the front of the truck.  Found deer hair in the crack. He was having doubts about my story. Deer was nocked down and broke her hip and back legs.  I dispatched the doe after being given permission over the phone by the on duty Sargent. 

43 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Why does this always happen when one has a new truck? Or a new to you truck. 

Glad you are ok,that body damage can be fixed....

I got a buddy that every time he gets a new to him truck he crawls under it with a hammer and smacks the frame real hard getting the first "ding" out of the way. He swears by his method. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You’re an idiot.   

Your compassion is evident.   Lugnut. :)

Hey look. A guy breaking the site rules and the Mod laughing about it. Others have gotten a vacation for doing the same. No shocker here. (Even though the comment was deserving) 

• Like 1

That is the main reason why I struggle with passing any legal bucks while hunting.   I passed the same small buck twice last year (once during crossbow season and again on opening day of gun).  The second pass paid off for me (I used my gun tag on a much larger buck about a week later).

I regret passing that small buck with my crossbow, just because I wanted more meat (antlers are not that important to me).   As it turned out, my daughter’a high school field hockey playoff run took out the rest of my crossbow season, and I never filled my archery buck tag.  

To make matters worse,  one of my best friends hit a buck with his car a few weeks ago (totaling it), less than a mile from where I passed that little fork-horn buck.  Maybe it was the same buck.  I hope that it was, because he was a mean little bastard, who injured the button buck that I killed over there on New Year’s Day.  I had to throw out most of the brisket meat due to the pussy antler wound on his chest.  I watched the “goring” in the clover field on opening day of gun last year, while I was eating lunch in the house with my parents. 

I would feel worse about passing him with my gun, had I not killed that bigger buck later.  That one would have surely caused even more damage to his car, maybe even some physical harm to my buddy, had he struck it instead.  The fact remains that I could have legally killed both of them bucks, had I not selfishly held out for a bigger one with my crossbow.  

Live an learn I guess.  This season, if a 3” unicorn gives me an easy shot on my first crossbow hunt, I am going to take it.  I’ll still pass the little guys before Thanksgiving with my gun though, as that has yet to come back to bite me.  

As hunters, we all have a hard time remembering that it’s not all about us and getting a big trophy.   Others (motorists, farmers, and homeowners) depend on us getting the job done. 

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Hey look. A guy breaking the site rules and the Mod laughing about it. Others have gotten a vacation for doing the same. No shocker here. (Even though the comment was deserving) 

Lighten up Francis…….

:)

(you get a smiley today too ya lugnut)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Maybe it was the same buck.  I hope that it was, because he was a mean little bastard, who injured the button buck that I killed over there on New Year’s Day.  I had to throw out most of the brisket meat due to the pussy antler wound on his chest.  

Next time utilize purulent... it was a purulent antler wound.  :)

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

That is the main reason why I struggle with passing any legal bucks while hunting.   I passed the same small buck twice last year (once during crossbow season and again on opening day of gun).  The second pass paid off for me (I used my gun tag on a much larger buck about a week later).

I regret passing that small buck with my crossbow, just because I wanted more meat (antlers are not that important to me).   As it turned out, my daughter’a high school field hockey playoff run took out the rest of my crossbow season, and I never filled my archery buck tag.  

To make matters worse,  one of my best friends hit a buck with his car a few weeks ago (totaling it), less than a mile from where I passed that little fork-horn buck.  Maybe it was the same buck.  I hope that it was, because he was a mean little bastard, who injured the button buck that I killed over there on New Year’s Day.  I had to throw out most of the brisket meat due to the pussy antler wound on his chest.  I watched the “goring” in the clover field on opening day of gun last year, while I was eating lunch in the house with my parents. 

I would feel worse about passing him with my gun, had I not killed that bigger buck later.  That one would have surely caused even more damage to his car, maybe even some physical harm to my buddy, had he struck it instead.  The fact remains that I could have legally killed both of them bucks, had I not selfishly held out for a bigger one with my crossbow.  

Live an learn I guess.  This season, if a 3” unicorn gives me an easy shot on my first crossbow hunt, I am going to take it.  I’ll still pass the little guys before Thanksgiving with my gun though, as that has yet to come back to bite me.  

As hunters, we all have a hard time remembering that it’s not all about us and getting a big trophy.   Others (motorists, farmers, and homeowners) depend on us getting the job done. 

What does this story have to do with me hitting a deer?

I could have missed the moment I hit the deer had I hit snooze once .... or perhaps had I not went back into the house and kissed the wife before  leaving .. or perhaps I had stopped at the yellow light  rather than cruise  on through before it turned red .  I hit a  deer with my truck . I'm not lamenting the star alignments .... or cosmic dust storm's effects on time cause and affect. 

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

What does this story have to do with me hitting a deer?

I could have missed the moment I hit the deer had I hit snooze once .... or perhaps had I not went back into the house and kissed the wife before  leaving .. or perhaps I had stopped at the yellow light  rather than cruise  on through before it turned red .  I hit a  deer with my truck . I'm not lamenting the star alignments .... or cosmic dust storm's effects on time cause and affect. 

As it turns out, my buddy hitting that deer paid off for him.  Due to the spike in used car prices, his insurance company paid him significantly more than he paid for the car.  He bought it back cheap, just finished up bolting on all the replacement parts, and is now driving a virtually “free” car, that is in better shape than it was before he hit the deer.

I guess maybe I will keep passing them little antlered bucks with my crossbow after all.  

9 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Well that's frustrating. Glad you're ok. 

I was looking at a grill guard when I recently picked up my new to me truck. I was told though that, in the case of an accident, they transfer the energy to the frame. This actually causes more damage than if you take the shot in the grille. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but it seems logical. It was enough to talk me out of it. Something to consider if you're looking at adding one. 

For me , my deductible is $500 that’s two deer before the grill guard pays off . Plus I don’t know what they do to the air bag sensors, as in not going off . And some connect where the tow hooks are and I need those…