A little info , state comparisons

G-Man

50 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. Ny takes guns out of the rut and implements 1 week season and it’s a total different ball game. 

Agreed, In addition, NY needs to put some real teeth in poaching and trespassing violations.  What is currently done is a joke and the criminals know it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

Agreed, In addition, NY needs to put some real teeth in poaching and trespassing violations.  What is currently done is a joke and the criminals know it.

hell we don't even have tough laws for drugs and theft, why would they even think about trespassing? My legal firearm though? Oh boy, watch out!

• Like 2

Seven week gun season isnt helping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly. Ny takes guns out of the rut and implements 1 week season and it’s a total different ball game. 

That’s why the bow only areas of NY hold older aged deer better

• Like 1

We have the genetics, a quick stroll through Losson Park, Wurlitzer Park, the Cheektowaga RR yard etc will convince you of that. Mega giants galore

• Like 3

We have the genetics, a quick stroll through Losson Park, Wurlitzer Park, the Cheektowaga RR yard etc will convince you of that. Mega giants galore

Something In the WNY soil.

Something In the WNY soil.

Age, age and age are the three main factors

But genetics definitely play a role, especially for non typicals. I’m sure FSW could chime in. Certain areas produce way more NT’s for some reason.

1 minute ago, BizCT said:

But genetics definitely play a role, especially for non typicals. I’m sure FSW could chime in. Certain areas produce way more NT’s for some reason.

A 1.5 year old with tremendous nutrition & genetics is still a dink.

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

I know what he means though. There's a scrub buck and then there's a 1.5 who looks like he's been roiding. 

It's all a moot point when it comes to NYS though according to all the naysayers here.....lol

Kind of like youth sports, everybody should get a trophy just for participation.

8 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Not inside a fence. I think FSW said they are over 100"

Farm animals don’t count. This shows the start of a 2 year old and a youngster that will see his first birthday on the 12th of June. The yearlings take forever to clean up their winter hair and are always breaking antlers because like kids they don’t care about grooming and have no idea what’s on their heads… Or say in their shorts for kids!

03825D8A-E565-4468-B87F-C41ADD5CE195.png

Edited by Four Seasons
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

It's all a moot point when it comes to NYS though according to all the naysayers here.....lol

Kind of like youth sports, everybody should get a trophy just for participation.

you're dead on. I hope people just shoot what makes them happy. I pass 1.5's on just about any year, but I've had tough ones where I've taken one that was a big crotch 4. That same tough year I passed smaller 3's that were the same age. At the end of the day, taking a 1.5 off the table (big or small) still "hurts" you for next year. Although as I'm writing this, taking the better genetic 1.5 out might hurt you even more. 

edit to say my statement above doesn't apply to button bucks. Leave the g damn buttons alone.

Edited by Belo

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

you're dead on. I hope people just shoot what makes them happy. I pass 1.5's on just about any year, but I've had tough ones where I've taken one that was a big crotch 4. That same tough year I passed smaller 3's that were the same age. At the end of the day, taking a 1.5 off the table (big or small) still "hurts" you for next year. Although as I'm writing this, taking the better genetic 1.5 out might hurt you even more. 

edit to say my statement above doesn't apply to button bucks. Leave the g damn buttons alone.

That's what we do. No 1.5's since 2012.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Belo said:

Lol. Well now look what you went and did. Now we can here how my wife and kids enjoy it so much better and the taste..The taste is just out of this world. Well maybe that will save that next BB from running into a buddies car so it’s all good.   After the first couple years hunting or a guys last couple years ever being able to harvest one of these great animals I just can’t fathom the lack of feeling of slugging a 4-5 month old baby.  Maybe I’m the crazy one. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BizCT said:

Partly, bowhunting only areas have  very limited  public access if any so  pressure is significantly reduced . Deer can grow old and never be hunted  on large estates there... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Thats the problem with antler restrictions in  high hunter densities .

The herd loses it best young deer and quickly becomes  high graded.  A 1.5 year old  8 pt is legal but a 6 pt isnt..  so genetics will be selected for 6vor few points pretty quickly..  

• Like 4

Sounds like we need lots of guys here in New York to just quit hunting.  Then the rest of us will kill big bucks like in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas.   Awesome 

I always thought hunting was a sport to be appreciated by all who enjoy such an endeavor?  Now I see it’s about whose got the biggest set of “horns” irrespective of the consequences.

Losing more hunters means less voters to ensure that we can hunt in NY.  As soon as the “antis” realize our political power is gone…..Just what are you going to hunt with (a cell camera approved by PETA?) because the Rainbow Unicorn and Tree Huggers Coalition of  Progressive insanity  will make sure that ALL hunting will be stopped. This will be done to “save the environment” because “we need more empathy and compassion for all creatures!” 

"Just get guys to quit hunting""?  What a brilliant idea to ensure the extinction of all hunting in NY.

….and if you don’t believe that, just look at what NY is already doing to hinder what instruments we can hunt with, where and when.

How about we work on improving the habitat on private lands and access to both state and federal property to improve what we already have???…maybe we should be encouraging more youthful hunters who want enjoy the outdoors and the comradery of the hunt no matter how “BIG the “rack”.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Berniez said:

Sounds like we need lots of guys here in New York to just quit hunting.  Then the rest of us will kill big bucks like in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas.   Awesome 

I always thought hunting was a sport to be appreciated by all who enjoy such an endeavor?  Now I see it’s about whose got the biggest set of “horns” irrespective of the consequences.

Losing more hunters means less voters to ensure that we can hunt in NY.  As soon as the “antis” realize our political power is gone…..Just what are you going to hunt with (a cell camera approved by PETA?) because the Rainbow Unicorn and Tree Huggers Coalition of  Progressive insanity  will make sure that ALL hunting will be stopped. This will be done to “save the environment” because “we need more empathy and compassion for all creatures!” 

"Just get guys to quit hunting""?  What a brilliant idea to ensure the extinction of all hunting in NY.

….and if you don’t believe that, just look at what NY is already doing to hinder what instruments we can hunt with, where and when.

How about we work on improving the habitat on private lands and access to both state and federal property to improve what we already have???…maybe we should be encouraging more youthful hunters who want enjoy the outdoors and the comradery of the hunt no matter how “BIG the “rack”.

That’s a Great story. And the storyline has shown itself that we have a great number of new hunters and we have a majority of hunters that are now passing those pencil necked yearlings holding out for a more mature buck which will most likely bring more inches of diamonds on his head. A few have always denied it but hunting Whitetail’s is about the diamonds he carries. Yes some will be killed for meat and all of the pretty stuff that goes into the big picture of the hunt but most are not waking up in the morning in hope of seeing and harvesting the pencil necked spike buck. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Berniez said:

How about we actually get this state to manage the larges park in the country ( the Daks) so that a healthy population of whitetails ( and other wildlife for that matter) can actually be supported by it? So many people complain about "needing" access to private property when the larges piece of public land in the nation is in this state and is so underutilized because the state refuses to properly manage it.  This would actually help spread out some of the hunting community and provide more opportunity for all in the state.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Berniez said:

spacer.png

Isn’t this old news didn’t this come out a few years ago. The guy also didn’t like the cold weather either. I for one am glad he thinks the hunting in NY sucks. I for one have killed more than my share of big bucks over the years. Now after my second knee replacement I’m just glad I can still get out.