Deer Ticks

Bowshotmuzzleloader

Never have had a problem till this year... Last weekend before gun went out to check stands that I use for gun ,, Got out of shower and had two ticks in my back ,, had to go to urgent care to get pulled out.. Friend of mine while out looking for a deer that was hit , had one crawling up his arm.. Tonight in my stand had one crawling on my hand at different hunting spot.. Was just wondering if the warm weather or just the Syracuse area is infested with deer ticks ???

We have always seen them on deer after shooting and hanging, they would swell up around neck area of deer... Never have had a problem with getting them though... Last year being so warm and this year isnt much better, After going to Urgent care learned alot about the little fellas,, Seems like when its warm is when I see them or get them... They hang on brush or grass and wait for you to brush against , and thats how they get on you..Member of the spider family, and if you get them off in what they told me 56 hours or before they vomit back in you you dont really have a chance of getiing lyme disease,, Must be careful of pulling them out , which requires the tool not to break the head off in you .. nasty little buggers

I used the permentian spray for the firs time this year and have been extreme pleased. I hunt an area that is typically loaded with ticks and I found none this year on m gear or self. And, the deer partners shot were all loaded.

Went bird hunting twice in a location near m deer spot and my dog waslloaded with ticks and i found a few on my clothes which were not treated....until that evening when everything got sprayed down.

I have been seeing them for years down in 9X area. I found one on me opening day, after hanging a deer. I was down there a few years ago and found one stuck in my arm. I tried to pull it out and the head snapped off. Had to have it dug out of my arm. I haven't seen any around my home hunting area-7F.

I hate those nasty little things....Im all itchy just thinking about them.

I'm doing a research project at school on small mammals and ticks (more specifically-lyme disease and other tick-borne illness)...pretty much if it's above freezing you are at risk of picking some ticks up. Found a lot of ticks this entire fall season, only, I was out looking for them. >.<

Plenty of them around. The deer I shot in 7a just over the line from 7f was loaded with them. The two we got in 7m had hardly any and one spot in 7f is loaded and another in 7a not so many. The permentium sp? spray does noticibly work. Just spray it on a day or two before you hunt to let the smell air out.

Ticks scare me, I'm not afraid to admit it, In years past they have been bad this year i didn't find one on me and my buck didn't have any that i noticed, That totally surprised me i'm used to finding at least 20 of them a year, But with all the problems they can cause i'm happy and wont complain.

Don't even get me started, I also hunt in CT, they invented the darn thing. I have strict routine of spray before you go out and through check after you come back, it works for me. No bites this year, I found many of them but was able to get rid of them before they feast.

Delaware county has the little buggers too I have hunted here in 4o for 30+ years and have always seen them on deer but not till last year have I ever found them on me I am very carefull when i get back from the woods to check all the nooks and crannys along with a long soapy shower has work on keeping them at bay

I recall a thread on here. I believe if you put dish soap on a paper towel, covering them with the soap, they will back out on the towel. Can't find the link, but maybe someone can.

Sadly this usually doesn't work, but if it does it's a bad idea.

Now that we know that ticks carry disease (Lyme and other tick borne diseases), it's always a bad idea to put anything on them to force them to back out. It is a tick's natural reaction to being "attacked" to regurgitate back into the host before backing out. This is not only gross sounding, but greatly increases the risk that you will contract a disease if the tick is carrying anything.

The same goes for using tweezers to pull them out. Squeezing them at all can force their stomach contents back into your blood stream, bad news!!

In short, you should avoid any removal means that involves squeezing or putting something on the tick to agitate it. They both greatly increase your risk for disease.

This is a bit fussy, but the BEST and safest removal system, if you don't have one of those little tools for removing them, is to use a bit of fishing line. Tie a slip knot in it, and get the loop over the tick's body, as close to your skin as you possibly can. You might have to have someone with good dexterity help you. Some people use a straw to do this. Tug the knot tight around the tick-- hopefully you are around it's head or neck area, between your skin and the thorax. Put steady, but gentle pressure on the end of your fishing line to slowly pull the tick away from your skin at an angle. The idea here is to get the fishing line tight around it's head/neck area, so that it cannot regurgitate, and pull it out. It sounds fussy, I know, but it really does work well if you can get it.

I'd normally not suggest something so fussy, but you really don't want to mess with tick borne disease, if you can prevent it. A few minutes of goofing with fishing line can save you a lifetime of medical nonsense, trust me!

Here's a video that sort of shows what I'm talking about.

If you are not dexterous and don't have someone to help, you can make something like this using a straw (this person used an empty pen) http://cdn.instructables.com/F0O/VQOQ/GTO4OY57/F0OVQOQGTO4OY57.LARGE.jpg

I hope this helps someone!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ive never got one.......

that's crazy!

i've had some on me each year. it's important to come in from the woods and check yourself over good that night. for scent control i keep a lot of outer layers mainly in ziploc big bags so that helps keep them out of the house and vehicle. not much of a worry if you pull them off within 24 hours or before they start digging in. seemed like there was a ton this past spring and summer. this fall and winter i didn't see many at all.

i did find on crawling up the outside of my camo jean leg while hunting (i was bored so i put my head down and was studying the camo pattern and noticed movement) but i flicked him off and never seen him since....

(had to be a hard landing since i was 15 ft up a tree) lol

Plenty of them around. The deer I shot in 7a just over the line from 7f was loaded with them. The two we got in 7m had hardly any and one spot in 7f is loaded and another in 7a not so many. The permentium sp? spray does noticibly work. Just spray it on a day or two before you hunt to let the smell air out.

Strange...I am in 7m, Never had a tick on me. On the deer, I have not checked, nothing obvious like them falling off ready to pounce like on LI..