where to buy shrubs.

I am looking to thicken up a few places on my property this spring to add additional security areas so the deer feel safer and also to make my food plots feel more secure.

Was wondering if anyone had the name of a nursery etc that sells shrub tye plants such as red osier dog wood, black berry etc shrubs that provide cover and some food.

Thanks

The examples that you gave will grow for free in abandoned fields and such. I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of market for such stuff. Probably the best security cover comes from that stinking multi-flora rose. However, it is the last thing that I would ever suggest for someone to purposely plant. It is terribly invasive and impossible to get rid of when it takes over. However, the state has some shrub packets that have more manageable shrubbery for sale. Check with them. Also, I believe the Cornell Extension Service probably has some good wildlife habitat packages.

• Like 1

If you want an abundance of shrubs , you can purchase them from the DEC's Saratoga Tree Nursery . I was only able to find their 2012 info but if you call , they can give you updated info . They sell mostly seedlings and are quite inexpensive . My son and I have both purchased from them . They will ship the stock just before it's planting time .

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7127.html

The main problem I have seen is the deer will probably eat the shrubs before they have a chance to grow unless you can fence them in or protect them by other means .

Saratoga nursery is good as it your county co-op. Where ever you decide to buy from try to get. From a northern nursery, example : although red oak are cold resistant, one grown down south is not as adapted as one grown in a northern state. Buy them from down south and they take a few years to adapt to our climate and growing season, if they don't shock and die.

Research what type your looking for...then make sure it's growth is the type you want for the area and Google them....nursery supplies will pop up

Aronia.....flowering quince....blueberry....even some CLUMP bamboo......low growing trees like Sargent crab apples...mulberry trees...ect...

• 2 weeks later...