Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

6 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

2-4 inches of rain coming down in this part of the North. 

i see that.  You all are even getting lake effect rain.  Good thing it isnt snow.  lol 

I was even thinking about accidently not coming back to work this afternoon after lunch and hit an old northern spot but not in a downpour.

We were trending toward a move Saturday morning for 10/1 opener based on movements we're seeing going back to bed. S winds are putting a pause on that if the forecast holds. PM winds shift to NE so that will work for then, but dang, we were hoping to get in, in the AM. I hope it shifts. We have another spot where S winds are fine for the AM but its primarily a doe spot this early on.

We recently started getting this buck on cam and might be able to go after him based on a few other cams showing he is making appearances in daylight.

Best cell cam pic we have but he is only a 4 pt. We checked and double checked other cam pics but no brow tines at all. 

Ohio buck though.

D1348749-D462-4297-B4A7-F21FAF83FB5F.jpeg

DEB12FAA-7C32-4677-957C-6AF38EA10FB5.jpeg

• Like 3

Rain showers all day up at the cabin so I'm just heading up now. Radar says light rain in the morning so I'm bringing my rain gear. I'm only able to hunt wendsday then Thursday morning do to an untimely doctor's appointment Thursday afternoon but it will be good to be up a tree with my recurve. 

I'll sneak out and check a couple cams I have easy access to when I get up there. Cameras were very slow a couple weeks ago so hopefully I get some more action. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phade said:

We recently started getting this buck on cam and might be able to go after him based on a few other cams showing he is making appearances in daylight.

Best cell cam pic we have but he is only a 4 pt. We checked and double checked other cam pics but no brow tines at all. 

Ohio buck though.

D1348749-D462-4297-B4A7-F21FAF83FB5F.jpeg

DEB12FAA-7C32-4677-957C-6AF38EA10FB5.jpeg

Nice. How high up is that camera?

38 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Nice. How high up is that camera?

I'm guessing 12 feet. Normally don't do that, but the field isn't ours, the woods are. It's on a tree on our side of the fence and done for two purposes. One, the deer like that corner, and two, the hunter who hunts that field likes that corner too. We're working to resolve an occasional line crossing on his part. He baits in the field - it's there in the pics but you can't see it. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Rain showers all day up at the cabin so I'm just heading up now. Radar says light rain in the morning so I'm bringing my rain gear. I'm only able to hunt wendsday then Thursday morning do to an untimely doctor's appointment Thursday afternoon but it will be good to be up a tree with my recurve. 

I'll sneak out and check a couple cams I have easy access to when I get up there. Cameras were very slow a couple weeks ago so hopefully I get some more action. 

YES! finally some action here tomorrow!  Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Bolt action said:

That looks like a giant of a 4pt! Might have wacky genes. Would that be a shooter on that property?

I'm struggling to find a specific buck on that farm that I had an encounter with in late November. One that I know made it through the legal season as I have photos of him through mid-Feb. I believe I got one crummy photo of him in June, but I am not 100% positive it's him. Outside of that, no sightings. It's possible the June photo isn't him, but he's essentially been a ghost either way. Buck is most certainly 5.5 and older last year. I am really hoping he shows up because I would hunt him only and be OK with striking out. I did have early season images of him last year.

If not, this guy is probably on the radar. A large 4 point is a bit of a misnomer, but he is at least 3.5 and very possibly 4.5.

It's been a rather down year for good bucks on cams and scouting across multiple states and properties. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

I'm guessing 12 feet. Normally don't do that, but the field isn't ours, the woods are. It's on a tree on our side of the fence and done for two purposes. One, the deer like that corner, and two, the hunter who hunts that field likes that corner too. We're working to resolve an occasional line crossing on his part. He baits in the field - it's there in the pics but you can't see it. 

Nice. double action ! ha

Love those corner property line issues......we had a neighbor who felt he had the right to shoot into our field since he was on his side of the property line and all the deer stand in our field. It almost got real ugly one time but our other neighbor is a NYS trooper and when we got him casually involved all of a sudden our neighbor hunter magically stopped hunting that property line.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Love those corner property line issues......we had a neighbor who felt he had the right to shoot into our field since he was on his side of the property line and all the deer stand in our field. It almost got real ugly one time but our other neighbor is a NYS trooper and when we got him casually involved all of a sudden our neighbor hunter magically stopped hunting that property line.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

We're the opposite. Have the woods but not the field. Trying to figure out where the guy is hunting based on the bait pile in the field five feet from the woodline. We have no stand in that vicinity and are learning how to hunt that section this season. The guy is a landowner a few lines down and for some reason is over here which isn't making sense. This part of the farm is rough terrain - behind the woods is a steep 40-60 foot drop about 20 yards in. Hunters along the borders have taken some liberties of hunting the line and likely shooting into the property due to prior hunters who hunted here over the years not actually going back in there. One amish guy has a blind on the line with only one window - into the bottoms of our farm, lol. We'll address that one this season, too. I'll probably sit in the bottom one day when I see him there.

They avoid confrontation or become irrational based on what I've seen and been told by our farmer. He thankfully is willing to go nuts on them which has helped thus far. I had a photo of one Amish guy 100 yards into the property and knew what stand he was hunting on the line. Told him I captured his soul and he denied it was him in the photo. Despite him literally wearing the same outfit down to the boots. The cam was 5 feet away from him when it sent me the image.

Edited by phade
  • Like 4