Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

1 hour ago, Belo said:

dude i just spit out coffee. not exaggerating, literally just spit it out. that made my morning.

I was in a PA hunting camp in 2013 during Red Sox WS, and amish guy watched every game with me at night. He loved yelling "big papi", he also wanted to play every single cell phone game possible the entire week. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

dude i just spit out coffee. not exaggerating, literally just spit it out. that made my morning.

Amish are fascinating, friendly, creepy, weird, rude, and crazy, sometimes all in the same person or interaction. It's unexplainable. 

Crop farmer leases ag fields from our farmer on one parcel. That farmer rents a second level room in a barn to an elder Amish guy who runs a construction crew. That Amish guy framed in the entire second floor and finished it into a bachelor pad that any red blooded English (white guy) would be envious of. I'm talking pool table, big screens, Lazy Boys, food/drink, etc. Place could entertain 10 guys on a bachelor weekend no problem. He did it all himself. Turns out, he tells his wife/family he is working on certain days and goes there and spends all day there by himself. He has never had a single guest there, ever. Did all the work, and just hangs out in there watching TV, sports, and what not. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, phade said:

Amish are fascinating, friendly, creepy, weird, rude, and crazy, sometimes all in the same person or interaction. It's unexplainable. 

Crop farmer leases ag fields from our farmer on one parcel. That farmer rents a second level room in a barn to an elder Amish guy who runs a construction crew. That Amish guy framed in the entire second floor and finished it into a bachelor pad that any red blooded English (white guy) would be envious of. I'm talking pool table, big screens, Lazy Boys, food/drink, etc. Place could entertain 10 guys on a bachelor weekend no problem. He did it all himself. Turns out, he tells his wife/family he is working on certain days and goes there and spends all day there by himself. He has never had a single guest there, ever. Did all the work, and just hangs out in there watching TV, sports, and what not. 

Browns or Bengals fan?

2 hours ago, phade said:

alone..... im betting more "what not" than sports.  Lol.  An amish Dude with cable aint sneaking out to watch QVC or the Browns. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Sat in the rain this morning and saw zippo. Cams are still slow. Sitting on the edge of what's left of a food plot now.

20220928_153948.jpg

Well to my surprise I had an amazing hunt. 

Four bucks only one shooter and six to eight doe and fawn. Started with the four point in the first picture. The fawn in the second picture almost busted me so I decided to focus on hunting instead of photography. 

I won't shoot past 25 yards with my recurve so it takes a perfect setup to succeed. I had the four point at 20 yards but just to small especially this time of year.

The last deer was a shooter 6 point that was 10 yards away from seeing his demise. I believe a bigger buck about 20 yards behind him in thick woods grunted to him and alerted him something was up. He took a hard right and walked the edge of the food plot but wouldn't go in. That was the end of the fun no more deer after that. But from 4:30 to 6:30 was a blast.

Also something was up at the front of my property.  As a guess at 6 o'clock from 150 yards away I heard a loud snort three times. Either the bucks were bothering the does or a bear or coyotes were hunting. Lots of bear pictures the last two weeks. 

By far the most deer I've seen in one day since I bought the 40 acre property six years ago. Now I know why the food plot is down to the ground. 

Decided to drive home tonight so I don't miss my wife's sonogram tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20220928-234047_Gallery.jpg

20220928_181247.jpg

• Like 14

9 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Well to my surprise I had an amazing hunt. 

Four bucks only one shooter and six to eight doe and fawn. Started with the four point in the first picture. The fawn in the second picture almost busted me so I decided to focus on hunting instead of photography. 

I won't shoot past 25 yards with my recurve so it takes a perfect setup to succeed. I had the four point at 20 yards but just to small especially this time of year.

The last deer was a shooter 6 point that was 10 yards away from seeing his demise. I believe a bigger buck about 20 yards behind him in thick woods grunted to him and alerted him something was up. He took a hard right and walked the edge of the food plot but wouldn't go in. That was the end of the fun no more deer after that. But from 4:30 to 6:30 was a blast.

Also something was up at the front of my property.  As a guess at 6 o'clock from 150 yards away I heard a loud snort three times. Either the bucks were bothering the does or a bear or coyotes were hunting. Lots of bear pictures the last two weeks. 

By far the most deer I've seen in one day since I bought the 40 acre property six years ago. Now I know why the food plot is down to the ground. 

Decided to drive home tonight so I don't miss my wife's sonogram tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20220928-234047_Gallery.jpg

20220928_181247.jpg

sounds like one of those hunts where you have a great time even without flinging an arrow. And good move on the sonogram haha. congrats!

• Thanks 1

We likely will encounter this buck Saturday PM. He is showing up daily day and night. It’ll be exciting to see him and think about potential. We are struggling to put him at 3.5 and pass is in order if he can survive the gauntlet of hunters this year. 

EC309EAC-E3BB-42C4-888C-3B1F7D75CA1C.png

16F7E9B0-4055-4AB5-B093-8592D8F2DD76.png

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, phade said:

We likely will encounter this buck Saturday PM. He is showing up daily day and night. It’ll be exciting to see him and think about potential. We are struggling to put him at 3.5 and pass is in order if he can survive the gauntlet of hunters this year. 

there's a little sag in that back, but not the belly. I'd still guess 3.5 though.

11 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Was the amish guy a guide or paying customer?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

paying customer. But it's really just lodging/food. stateland hunt, do your own scounting etc. 10-12 guys in camp for a place to sleep and 3 meals a day. fun times

Dad just arrived at CT deer camp (my house). Never seen a deer in my front yard since I moved here in February. My daughter and I were waiting on the front steps and 2 does with 1 fawn walk by 10min before he arrives of course.

Anyway, 649am sunrise tomorrow so 619am legal. Should be 45° when we walk into woods and light 3-4mph NE winds. He’s got the xbow I got the compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 9

12 hours ago, phade said:

Love those tall brow tines

Dad just arrived at CT deer camp (my house). Never seen a deer in my front yard since I moved here in February. My daughter and I were waiting on the front steps and 2 does with 1 fawn walk by 10min before he arrives of course.

Anyway, 649am sunrise tomorrow so 619am legal. Should be 45° when we walk into woods and light 3-4mph NE winds. He’s got the xbow I got the compound.

Up and at em!

• Like 7