Why we never cut hay till july....

G-Man

39 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sad yes but he’s a farmer and he either feeds his stock or sells his hay to feed his family I’m assuming.  

We had farm  never cut till july..  bale hay vs  siliage production  on todays dairy..

Talked to operator for them  he said they mow  and kill close to 400 to 500 fawns a year  in june doing sillage... very sad..bet dec doenst factor in that take..  large farm many properties several thousand acres

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Well it’s a bit different when it’s your livelihood.

My front yard today .

A45704D3-45F3-4002-9973-FBE1F191FCD7.jpeg

That seems like a pretty clean cut, coyotes don't usually do that.  What's the story?

Edited by Lawdwaz

7 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That seems like a pretty clean cut, coyotes don't usually do that.  What's the story?

I agree , and i don’t know . Across the street they use a guy with a commercial mower , and they cut yesterday, now they do back to the woods . But I’d figure that mower would chew it up pretty good . 

im a well loved guy in the neighborhood so as long as it wasn’t on a fence post , door step , or Surrounded by chicken bones and human hair I’ll still sleep tight .

Was down to my camp yesterday and attempted to mow a few trails that we use to get around...   I say attempt because after seeing the 7th fawn I stopped..    I was going VERY slow and looking closely for movement, but it was not worth it..

I will wait 3 or 4 more weeks and then get it done...

This time of year all the fields around me are freshly planted so my woods, thickets and overgrown fields are an oasis for all of the deer...   Seems like the area is over populated, but should not be a surprise with the limited amount of hunting activity in the area during the past few gun seasons..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Was down to my camp yesterday and attempted to mow a few trails that we use to get around...   I say attempt because after seeing the 7th fawn I stopped..    I was going VERY slow and looking closely for movement, but it was not worth it..

I will wait 3 or 4 more weeks and then get it done...

This time of year all the fields around me are freshly planted so my woods, thickets and overgrown fields are an oasis for all of the deer...   Seems like the area is over populated, but should not be a surprise with the limited amount of hunting activity in the area during the past few gun seasons..

I dont mow my trails till july ( just leave nesting and bedding and bugging cover) and then again end of august..  one month of fresh growth before hunting season deer seem  to like it that way.

• Like 1