Rates for dozer work

Whats the going hourly rate in Upstate NY for a dozer for hire (including operator). I'm looking to reclaim some more overgrown farmland this spring and will be shopping around for a contractor. Its mainly saplings and brush with some larger 6-8 inch fast growing trees scattered around. I'm in Schoharie County. Will probably be a week or two long job. I want to compare it to renting a d5 and doing it myself ($1,500).

My suggestion would be if you are't going to plant it maybe a brush hog and then remove the selective larger trees. If you are going to plant it I wouldn't use a dozer. You will loos too much of your valuable topsoil. I would find someon with a dozer with a root rake. (like a big comb) . How much land are you talking about?

• Like 1

Its about 20 acres total of overgrown fields. I already cleared some of the "thinner" areas with a 5' brush hog that I bought. My goal is to eventually plant all 20 with a combination of crops for both profit and some food plots. This of course is all depending on the price it is gonna cost me to clear it. I was going to do what you suggested, but there are just too many of the larger saplings for even a skid steer mounted brush hog. I think I would rather have some one with a dozer push em into the existing hedge rows.

They make them that go on a large Loader (Google Hydroaxe) that I have seen 6" diameter trees fall prey to. . At 20 acres you really need to knock off the growth above before you go for the root mass or you will have a mountain of debris to contend with.

If you can get a quotes from clearing firms the best way I believe would be to hydroaxe it down and the root rake the area. This removes most of your root mass to where it can be plowed and the chips from teh axing get incorporated into the soil to enrich it.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1