Game Violators

wztirem

I hunt mostly with family and haven't had to worry about turning anyone in. We all believe in following the laws. I was a Charlie Alsheimer speaking event recently and there was a CO there. Charlie acknowledged him and I was disgusted to hear a few softly spoken boos coming from some guys behind me. Gee, I wonder if they are poachers.

There is only one problem that I have with the system of game laws and other laws as well. I had to buy a 2 volume copy of environmental conservation law in order to find all the laws that govern our outdoor hunting, fishing, and trapping as well as the other outdoor activities regulated by the DEC. Each of those volumes is 1-5/8" thick. That is the 1984 - 1985 edition, and I'll guarantee that each volume is a lot thicker today, and perhaps they have even added another volume by now. It might be a bit rude, but I'm afraid I would have to call BS on anyone who claimed to know all that info (and that includes those who are responsible for administering and enforcing conservation law). Piled on top of all that is the vagueness of interpretation of most of what is in there. So vague in fact that a lot of the stuff contained in those law books will get you a whole variety of different interpretations depending on what judge or ECO you are speaking with. So the problems I have with violations is when they get so numerous and so undefined that you are guaranteed to be unknowingly breaking some law almost everytime you go afield. Yes, legally speaking, ignorance of the law is no excuse, which is another way of saying, "what you don't know can hurt you".

Doc

Yes there are different interpretations to the laws and no the Law Enforcement Officials do not know all of them. Best thing is if you know your local DEC officer ask him what his interpretation of the law is. (Chances are he will tell you that, this is how he does it but he can not guarantee that the next DEC officer is going to interpret it the same way) but atleast you will get the general understanding for the area in which you hunt the most. Most of your local LEO's are willing to answer you questions and then you have some who just have that chip on their shoulder or are fresh out of the academy who will blow you off or write you a citation in a heart beat.

The best thing to do when requesting an interpretation from the DEC or a judge is to ask for the interpretation in written form. E-mail is good for that because the whole conversation is written down. In the case of some bad info from authorities, it is always good to have some indication that you acted in good faith with the best information available at the time. That way there are no sudden lapses of memory from whoever gave the advice, and perhaps a judge might have a bit of leniency or forgive the violation entirely. Phone conversations are notorious for back-tracking when it looks like somebody is going to have egg on their face.

Doc