Western hunting is a PITA

I see what point creep is now.lol.. Last year I settled on a unit to hunt based on the previous years close to 100% draw rate for mzl. Afterwards after looking at the statistics I see we were lucky because the success rate was around 50%. So I figured this year we might have a 50/50 odds of drawing a mzl tag and if not there were left over archery tags.. No luck at all.. It changes our plans but that's ok. We were a little on the fence anyways. 

Should we go back to an area where we saw 1 bull (and shot) and 0 cows and know a little bit.  We did find fresh sign and had a plan for this year with a comfortable cabin that we drove our sxs from.

Or to another unknown area that traditional has more elk(and people) anyways.

Now the plan is an otc archery tag somewhere new. Maybe for the better. ;)

• Like 1

I see what point creep is now.lol.. Last year I settled on a unit to hunt based on the previous years close to 100% draw rate for mzl. Afterwards after looking at the statistics I see we were lucky because the success rate was around 50%. So I figured this year we might have a 50/50 odds of drawing a mzl tag and if not there were left over archery tags.. No luck at all.. It changes our plans but that's ok. We were a little on the fence anyways. 
Should we go back to an area where we saw 1 bull (and shot) and 0 cows and know a little bit.  We did find fresh sign and had a plan for this year with a comfortable cabin that we drove our sxs from.
Now the plan is an otc archery tag somewhere new. Maybe for the better.

And some states changed the allocations of NR to Rez tags right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Yep I didn’t draw my deer tag and had one point, I should draw it next year. I have 14 elk points which puts me a “ no man’s land “ not enough for a great area and the number required keeps going up.  It will make you appreciate how good we have it.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ncountry said:

Now the plan is an otc archery tag somewhere new. Maybe for the better. ;)

I would check the old spot and if not there keep moving and looking. Don't tie yourself down. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

not that I expect much cooperation from our current administration ... but it seems that states with huge amounts of Forest Service and BLM (i.e. lands we all own) should be required to treat the federal lands in such a way that in those areas both residents and non-residents have a equal oppurtunity. 

• Like 2

2nd draw opened Tuesday in Colorado. We applied for the same unit we didn't draw the 1st time.. Somehow there is around 60 tags available..I was surprised that that many people didn't pay for or chose not to take the tags they drew.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 6:50 PM, ncountry said:

2nd draw opened Tuesday in Colorado. We applied for the same unit we didn't draw the 1st time.. Somehow there is around 60 tags available..I was surprised that that many people didn't pay for or chose not to take the tags they drew.

Life happens. Job change, family change, health change, etc.

Hopefully you guys get what you want. 

• Like 2

Only hunted out West twice , even though I can hunt Montana with friends each year if I wanted . But I learned some tricks , and I’m sure other states may have similar. One was a non resident deer tag had like 12% odds at the time , but if you paid an extra $600 and applied for the deer elk combo your odds went to 66% . Since I had no other expenses other then airfare , food and beer that was an easy choice .

Then towards the season ,there is always guys who turn in their tags for a partial refund , these became available again , but it was a separate drawing that not many knew of . 

good luck 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Only hunted out West twice , even though I can hunt Montana with friends each year if I wanted . But I learned some tricks , and I’m sure other states may have similar. One was a non resident deer tag had like 12% odds at the time , but if you paid an extra $600 and applied for the deer elk combo your odds went to 66% . Since I had no other expenses other then airfare , food and beer that was an easy choice .

Then towards the season ,there is always guys who turn in their tags for a partial refund , these became available again , but it was a separate drawing that not many knew of . 

good luck 

Lucky man. I'd be going to Montana every few years if I were you.

I am too old and too poor to  do western hunts any more...

However from my mid 30s to my mid 50s  I had the cash flow and the health  to do a hunt every couple of years....

I treasure the memories , and also enjoy the photos and the videos... I wish I could do it and envy you guys who can..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I am too old and too poor to  do western hunts any more...

However from my mid 30s to my mid 50s  I had the cash flow and the health  to do a hunt every couple of years....

I treasure the memories , and also enjoy the photos and the videos... I wish I could do it and envy you guys who can..

We have talked about it for 20 years, and at 50 we decided we were going last year.  Wish we had started 20 years ago. At least built up some preference points.. We will see, but am hoping to go every year for a while..

• Like 1

I went on my first out of state big game hunt , a two week float hunt in Alaska, when I was 38...I was probably in the best physical condition in my life, having quit smoking  seven years prior and I trained for months carrying heavy loads on a packframe...Two of us killed two bull moose and a caribou and it damn near killed me...Hehehe

I have always advised friends to DO it while you still can....

I am in my 70s now and have many friends who say they wish they had gone on some hunts when they were still physically and financially able,,  Too late now....<<sigh>>....

• Like 2

I did one in my 30’s, that I don’t regret.  I certainly wouldn’t pay for another, now that I am pushing 60.  The best thing about it, was the appreciation that it gave me for the scenery of NY’s Adirondacks, and for the taste of whitetails, compared to mule deer.  I will admit that those Western elk are pretty tasty, and right up there about equal to corn-fed NY whitetails, in that department.  

If someone sprung for my airfare (one cross country drive was more than enough for me), elk tag, food, and lodging, I could probably be convinced to spend another week out there.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

Lucky man. I'd be going to Montana every few years if I were you.

Many don’t really care.

I always thought folks would jump at a chance to hunt somewhere else for different game. But the fact is it’s just not a priority for most.

I’ve been doing a hunting and/or fishing trip for the last 32 years (missed 2019 due to illness,2020 because of Corvid restrictions). For me, its been a awesome time; but now I understand that its not for all

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Many don’t really care.

I always thought folks would jump at a chance to hunt somewhere else for different game. But the fact is it’s just not a priority for most.

I’ve been doing a hunting and/or fishing trip for the last 32 years (missed 2019 due to illness,2020 because of Corvid restrictions). For me, its been a awesome time; but now I understand that its not for all

I’ve canoed all over Canada from the Yukon to Quebec, backpacked from the ADK to the canyons of AZ and on and on . 

My friends shoot Mullies , whitetails ,elk and antelope almost at will in Montana . To me the traveling out there , packing for weather from 10 below to 60  ,buying a cooler, getting it cut up ,shipping it home , is juice that’s not worth the squeeze. I also have no desire for another mount , I have two, and the kids will throw them out when I die as it is . 

But for many it’s a dream and I hope they get to experience that .

I would do another remote wilderness canoe trip,the Blow river is one that intrigues me, getting there is extremely difficult , last I knew it was believed to have been canoed .

https://travelingluck.com/North+America/Canada/Yukon/_5904099_Blow+River.html

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

I’ve canoed all over Canada from the Yukon to Quebec, backpacked from the ADK to the canyons of AZ and on and on . 

My friends shoot Mullies , whitetails ,elk and antelope almost at will in Montana . To me the traveling out there , packing for weather from 10 below to 60  ,buying a cooler, getting it cut up ,shipping it home , is juice that’s not worth the squeeze. I also have no desire for another mount , I have two, and the kids will throw them out when I die as it is . 

But for many it’s a dream and I hope they get to experience that .

I would do another remote wilderness canoe trip,the Blow river is one that intrigues me, getting there is extremely difficult , last I knew it was believed to have been canoed .

https://travelingluck.com/North+America/Canada/Yukon/_5904099_Blow+River.html

Can I go to Montana instead of you?

• Like 1