woolys 2012-13 shed journal

wooly

No new antlers to add to the total today, but I did find another dead young buck. Little 3pt laying just off the field edge.

I'd normaly snap the head off, but this little guy was pretty ripe so I left him lay for a while yet to let the critters clean him up.

That's the problem with this early winter shed hunting stuff. You can really pile up the deadheads before the antlers really get to dropping.

With accumulating snow in the forecast, the scavengers will really start leaving lots of sign around these hidden carcasses making them easier to find. It's also gonna pospone any real antler hunting temporarly...

_CSC0121_filtered.jpg

Antlers- 2

Sets- 1

Dead bucks- 3

Dead doe and fawns- 0

I don't sweat it too much Sam. I really don't find many antlers from bucks I have a history with from summer or fall. Right now I'm trying to get a head start on some public ground that I always run a little late getting to. If you don't catch them before they hit the ground here, someone else will.

Sometimes, depending on time of year, I'll pull out of an area if bucks are still packing and holding to an area and will drop shortly. But right now I don't mind bumping them from feed or bedding areas as they will return or relocate to more favorable shedding grounds I prefer them to drop on. I do kinda pick and choose which areas I don't mind pressuring to some extent at any given time.

• 2 weeks later...

How's the shed hunting been going? I took a ride Friday night to check out some deer dow by tift. Then out in depew on broadway then down clinton I seen tons of deer but didn't see any bucks which I thought was a little odd for tift I seen atleast 30-40 deer. And every time this year there were atleast ahand full of bucks but not one this time

Edited by Red

Not so good Red!

WAY too much snow right now to even bother hiking very far. Just been running around with my cams trying to find a few bucks to keep an eye on close to home, but they've been laying low lately. Hoping the antlers will be pretty concentrated if this cold spell keeps steady and the snow stays for a while yet.

I'd go look for some deadheads, but it pretty tough hiking for even that right now. I'll be in touch when things start looking better!

Well seems like it's been forever since my last antler so decided to suck it up today and head out to some public ground never mind the snow.

Todays hike was a little different than any other I've been on before. Today I had company of forum member Red!

I met Red here, and his enthusiasm about shed hunting got my attention so much that I wanted to be part of him finding his first real shed antler. I wont bore you all with the meet and greet details, but let me say he's a stand up dude I enjoyed hiking with ! I forgot to get some pics of the GIANT bear skull he brought for show and tell. Awesome!

On to todays hike.... our first find was a shed dead head. Nothing crazy. I assume not much more than a spiker or forky. This kill was VERY fresh. I believe winterkill already. We kicked the snow around a bit trying to uncover his headgear but no luck. They are there close by but too much snow to waste any time on them right now.

100_1598.jpg

Hiked a few more spots for a total of 5hrs or so but not a shed in sight. Sign was spotty, so we focused on those areas where we at least found some.

Didn't take long, and another dead head lied before us. Another VERY fresh 3pt. My biggest fears heading into the season are starting to come true. Winter appears to be taking a toll on these deer in this area.

100_1600.jpg

Antlers- 2

Sets- 1

Dead bucks- 5

Dead doe/fawns- 0

• Like 1

thank you matt i had a really good time out there today. we covered a lot of nice ground very nice woods. you are very down to earth very knowledgable and nice person to talk to and to hang with. thank you for showing me some tips and tricks. i cant wait for a good thaw and to get back out there again.

• Like 1

Your welcome Red! Too bad we didn't score a horn today, but we'll get on 'em soon I promise you!

Sorry you had to get your saw all stinked up on that lil 3pt, but I appreciate it. Which reminds me, I better get them outta my pack.

Joe, the snow is starting to lay down some here but it's still pretty deep in the open woods and fields. Under the pines and hemlocks we looked through today, there was about 8" which is considerably less than the surrounding drifted areas.

Burty- I've always been more of a loner when it comes to this stuff. It was nice to hike with a partner who had such a high excitement level! Great to know there's still guys out there that enjoy the outdoors, even if the goals set forth for that day aren't reached. I've had some VERY bad experiences with internet forum members in the past. I was happy things went different this time!

• Like 1

1-9-12

Had a free day today so what better to do than a little shed hunting!

Finally the snow is slowly melting out and making any hikes in the hills a little easier. I started out the day with a dead doe find. Likely a roadkill.

Next I hit an old orchard and the adjacent hemlocks when I found another dead deer. A little button buck with 1" knobs.

100_1605.jpg

Nothing else untill the last hour of my hike. In another hemlock patch I spotted an antler melting out next to an old bed!

#3 is a cute little miniature 3pt,lol

It was nice to finally get another after a long hike!

Antlers- 3

Sets- 1

Dead bucks- 5

Dead doe/fawns- 2

100_1610.jpg

100_1612.jpg

100_1614.jpg

100_1620.jpg

Edited by wooly

I'd deffinately have a look in that area, but if you think he's been in the area recently it might be a good idea to wait a bit longer.

I know a few guys that have found antlers right next to fresh rubbed trees (evident by the fresh shredded bark on top of the snow).

I've never found one that way myself, but I always give them a look.

Food sources also a good bet this year..... if you can find one! Good luck Pav!

Congrats that's a really cool looking shed. I stopped down town for lunch today and seem the big 8 still holding both sides and another 8 pt with both sides there were people all over the place looking for sheds down there

Thanks guys! I hope I can match that little guy up! It's a pretty neat horn.

I did a quicky hike today and spotted a tine! Looked like an oldie, but I couldn't wait to claim my prize!

_DSC0195_filtered.jpg

errrrrrrrr.. uhhhg... ahhhh well... got him just in time before the antler rats chewed the one tine completely off. These old skulls don't count towards my dead deer totals.., just the fresh ones. Better than nothin' I suppose! I'll hang him on the wall of shame with all his old buddies!

_DSC0196_filtered.jpg

I'm still amazed by all the dead bucks that you come across! There's a small nature preserve by my house... probably 15 acres or so and I have never come across one. A few does every year but mostly because they come out to feed on people's lawns and get hit by cars.