Whats a Big NY Buck? Whats an Average NY Buck?

TheHunter

Average deer for me is a deer about the same size as the ones I already have hanging.  Big deer are anything bigger than I already have hanging.  Sorry ;)  .  Average deer probably about 90 to 100 inch, big deer probably over 100 inch.  Biggest I have seen in our area alive is probably 120- 130 which is on a video I have somewhere.  I have seen alot bigger at the taxadermist from our area too.

Seen some pictures of bucks taken in my area that were pretty impressive, but you need to be realistic and a 90-100" NY deer is pretty good in my book, one thing I like about my area being in a farmbelt and mountain area, the deer are huge. Not uncommon to take a 3 1/2 yr.old buck that weigh over 200lbs. I shot a 6 pointer years back that I swear went 250lbs live weight, we shot a few bucks that went 185 field dressed and that 6 pointer was much larger, unfortunately I never weighed him. Attached are pictures of bucks that I call trophies in my area. That huge bodied 6 pointer is 2nd from the left and to the right of him is a 10 pointer, other 2 on far right and far left are 8 ponters. Enjoy.

post-18-131455289573_thumb.jpg

Correction, the 8 pointer on the extreme right was taken on my friends place with my bow in 2007 in an antler restricted zone (Ellenville, NY). The horns are not that far off from the three other deer taken in my area, however the body size of the three other deer are exceptionally larger.Just something about large bodied deer that get me worked up as much as the horns.

Correct a 90-100 inch deer is a good deer.  It is a good possibility of seeing one during the hunting season where we have been hunting, that why I was calling it an average deer.  A 120 - 130 isnt the norm to see, but they are there.  By the way, those are some nice deer you have hanging there. 8)

NYBowhunter - Nice set of bucks there!

Fairgame -

Correct a 90-100 inch deer is a good deer.  It is a good possibility of seeing one during the hunting season where we have been hunting, that why I was calling it an average deer.  A 120 - 130 isnt the norm to see, but they are there.  By the way, those are some nice deer you have hanging there. 8)

I hope so!! ;)

I think once you start pushing the 130-140 mark I would call it big, as far as average, it would depend on where you hunt. Some places an average buck would be considered a scrub in another area. I have allways been interested in this subject, some guys go crazy over any buck while others wouldn't care about anything under a 120. I ain't to picky yet but I am starting down that road at this point in my hunting career. I might actually pass on one some day! haha

A big deer in NY or anywhere is one of those things that you'll know one when you see one ..... lol. I'm sure it is different to each hunter. For me it doesn't relate to any kind of score. I couldn't tell you anything about the score of any deer even if it was laying on the ground with a tape measure next to it. Fact is, I don't relate to bucks in that way. If I look at a deer and it has a certain massive look to it, that deer is to me a big deer. It doesn't even need to be a buck to impress me as a big deer. However, as far as racks are concerned, there is again just a general impression that registers with me. A rack may be heavy and massive, or have exceptional height or width, or any combination of these things and I'll tell you that my impression was that it was a big deer.

Average deer? Do you mean an average that takes in all bucks, including buttons and spikes. If so, I've got to believe that the estimates that I have seen in this thread are all way too high. Either that or if we really do have a overall herd average anywhere near 100 or 130 then we don't really have any need for talk about AR? When you say average, I assume you mean a mathmatical average of all bucks in the area and that would include all those little wee runt yearlings. I think that average is generally going to come out pretty darn low unless you hunt on a game preserve with a whole bunch of trophy monsters to bring the average up a bunch. Come to think about it, how many of us can really offer much of a credible guess. I mean it's not like we have the ability to herd all the deer together and make a real honest guess.....lol.

Doc

Thats right Doc,  If we do an overall buck average it wouldn't be anywhere near those #s.  Probably more like 10 inches.  If we are talking about the average possible rack buck then the picture I posted is something to base an average off of in my area.  But then again what is a rack buck?  I guess it differs with everyone. Well the picture I posted is an average of my interpretation of a rack buck average in the last few years.

Depends where you are. In the Fingerlakes region where I hunt I have taken 4yr olds that range from 128-166", but also a 3yr old that was 144. ".(I sent teeth on all to a lab in Texas that does cementum annuli analysis) I also found a rack this spring that died years ago that was 152.  I would say an average mature buck around here is from 130-150, with bigger ones in the 160s and there was a non-typical killed a few miles from me last year that was 180 something. In 2004 I shot a 191# buck in the Adirondacks and shot a 155# buck in CT 3 days later. The CT had a much bigger rack.

post-68-131455290031_thumb.jpg

post-68-131455290033_thumb.jpg

post-68-13145529004_thumb.jpg

post-68-131455290041_thumb.jpg

post-68-131455290281_thumb.jpg

post-68-131455290283_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. It sounds like most of the bucks being seen or taken are not mature. I grew up in CT and mature bucks there were 125-145 with regularity. I now live 6 hrs west and the bucks are a little bigger, but all the deer in between can't be that small. Westchester County is consistently one of the best producers in all NY due to the hunting restrictions.

• 4 weeks later...

nice deer sam!

dont shoot little deer- theyre trophies before their day..... easiest way.... mostguys who consistenty dump good ones will state theyre everywhere

a 1.5 in ny varies from 60-120 based on available food/ag.  that is the average big is 130 or better...though that may only be a 2.5 yo....alot of the slobs killed here are only 3.5-4.5 ...which just borders mature

nice deer sam!

dont shoot little deer- theyre trophies before their day..... easiest way.... mostguys who consistenty dump good ones will state theyre everywhere

a 2.5 in ny varies from 60-120 based on available food/ag.  that is the average big is 130 or better...though that may only be a 2.5 yo....alot of the slobs killed here are only 3.5-4.5 ...which just borders mature

sorry

also thats wNY and cNY.....not the mtns