Mower issue advice

If you were closer id fix it for you. Looks like you need a good welder or fab shop. You can have a bushing that the axle slip  fits perfectly into, welded at the same location. OR it can be welded and re machined(drilled and reamed) .. A bushing press fit in and welded to it would be ideal. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to call around today.  My 11 year old Grizzly 550 decided to die this weekend too.  Starter was making a whining noise, and sure enough next time I tried to start it she was dead.  Charged the battery, still dead.  Never rains, but it pours.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

27 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I'm going to call around today.  My 11 year old Grizzly 550 decided to die this weekend too.  Starter was making a whining noise, and sure enough next time I tried to start it she was dead.  Charged the battery, still dead.  Never rains, but it pours.

im in the same boat with everything i do as well.. 

8 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

If you were closer id fix it for you. Looks like you need a good welder or fab shop. You can have a bushing that the axle slip  fits perfectly into, welded at the same location. OR it can be welded and re machined(drilled and reamed) .. A bushing press fit in and welded to it would be ideal. 

I guess Max S. Wood have a welder/fabricator that comes in on Saturdays to do jobs they need done.  So I'll be able to skip the 8 week (,holy crap!!!) backlog they have.

I really appreciate Roger there, he's helped me a lot get parts and solve issues with my ancient assed MF-65.  I want to haul her down to them to have him re-do the brakes, but between 1500$ price tag and the 2 months wait I just can't do it.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I guess Max S. Wood have a welder/fabricator that comes in on Saturdays to do jobs they need done.  So I'll be able to skip the 8 week (,holy crap!!!) backlog they have.

I really appreciate Roger there, he's helped me a lot get parts and solve issues with my ancient assed MF-65.  I want to haul her down to them to have him re-do the brakes, but between 1500$ price tag and the 2 months wait I just can't do it.

I drop my John Deere off every year there for a quick tune up , gonna get new blades next spring !

• 3 weeks later...

Wheel is fixed, still uneven cut.  The right blade is about 20 degrees off which is causing the cut to still be uneven.  It's less noticeable now that the wheel is level, but still there.  About an inch high on the inside an inch low on the outside.  Thats probably the shaft, right?  You can look at the blade pulley and see it's not level.  I don't know where to start with replacement parts.  It just looks like the whole setup is cocked to the inside, which would mean the plates it's resting on are warped?

image.thumb.png.bdb107ba2cc6118dbe3b67236c047c37.png

On 6/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, UpStateRedNeck said:

The deck is very much not level because of that axle.  Probably the root cause.  Question is:. Can I fix the damn thing?  I think the weld to steel bar is going/gone.

Put the mower on the level driveway, or garage floor.  Measure both sides of the deck to the floor to see how far your off.  You can likely add or remove air from your tires to compensate the lean, if you can’t adjust the height via mechanical points from the chassis to the deck.

sharp/new blades would definitely be on the list as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Wheel is fixed, still uneven cut.  The right blade is about 20 degrees off which is causing the cut to still be uneven.  It's less noticeable now that the wheel is level, but still there.  About an inch high on the inside an inch low on the outside.  Thats probably the shaft, right?  You can look at the blade pulley and see it's not level.  I don't know where to start with replacement parts.  It just looks like the whole setup is cocked to the inside, which would mean the plates it's resting on are warped?

Id say you lost a bearing pick up part 56 and replace whole ( spindle set up as shaft is prolly wore as well using it out of level.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Would have to be that bearing and shaft as blade is one piece if pully isnt level then its wobbling on one bearing or shaft is bent.

Have the same swisher rough cut 44 and looking at mine that has to be the case 

• Thanks 1