Out of control neighbor

Larry_1207

You should wait in your stand and next time he gets in and stares at you and fires off some shots you should stare back at him with a smile and do the same thing with one of these looks

:crazy: .

J/K guy sounds like a real jerk. i would take a regular small video cam along with you instead of your phone. it will be able to film a lot further and a lot clearer.

John

John

LOL...Well "grown up adults"....doesn't always apply no matter how old a person is....and at that age...it really could be an early onset problem...be careful...I'd chat up some ppl he may know( other nieghbors...locals you run into...ect..ect)...with out mentioning the difficulties...and see what you can find out about his personality in general...even your ups person if you talk...dang they know the skinny on every thing...very helpful...lol

Judging from your description of your property, are you 500' from his dwelling? Be careful because if your stand is, he can pull out that card if he wants as well.

I don't think DEC would help much because at this point, it's a police issue.

Another good option, is to bring a small camcorder out with you. If you are on stand and he does this crap again, record it and then give it to the state police, DEC, etc.

Again though, all considerations need to be accounted for. What is the long-term scenario likely to be?

How much acreage are we talking about, too.

i'd be a little cautious about this. dude sounds like he's off his rocker and people dont like being filmed. it might just make things worth.

I would have went over to the line and shot 2 slugs into my stand then called the state police and said he shot at me. Its his word against yours and you can show them where he shot from by the empty shotgun shells on the ground. Then as he is rotting in prison go sit in his stands and shoot his deer. :spiteful:

I would have went over to the line and shot 2 slugs into my stand then called the state police and said he shot at me. Its his word against yours and you can show them where he shot from by the empty shotgun shells on the ground. Then as he is rotting in prison go sit in his stands and shoot his deer. :spiteful:

This sound a little extreme don't ya think,lol?

How 'bout ya send him a nice Christmas card and a bottle of booze to take the edge off!

sounds like the kind of guy I would like to meet in the woods and have some fun with First I would find out just how close he was to any of my buildings as was stated before get the DEC there they carry more power then the state troopers let the DEC know about the 500ft thing maybe hes grumpy because hes trying to hide something on his land in my many years of hunting most folks are ok but when someone is doin things that are not right they tend to get a little moody for fear of the silver bracelets if tring to talk to the guy doesnt work just keepon keeping on its your land and your hunting rights just try get them on the ground before they get to the line I try to get a head or neck shot when close to the lines if you need a body shot then MAYBE dont take it Just one rednecks in put

You really want to get back at him. Next gun season opener instead of hunting fire up your chain saw and start whacking trees down at the edge of the property right around day light.

You will need an alternative place to hunt

I don't think you realize just how ugly that kind of escalation can get to be. How far do you want to go? There definitely is a lot of value to trying to end all the anomosity rather than trying to fuel it. People have been shot with that kind of "get even" attitude. Do you really want to create situations where you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder, or worrying about the safety of your personal property. I mean some of these kinds of things can develop into a living hell.

Helmet cam.Put it on your hat.It will look like a flash light on your hat.Then he doesn't know he is on film.they work good enough to see what is happening.Not like a go pro or any thing.But it will do.Some can be had on ebay for like 75.00 for the chinese model.

i use a gopro when i hunt sometimes. Turn the red recording light off and from a distance he would never know. All you really need is the audio anyhow. There might be some legality with recording without permission and stuff though.

I stick with my thoughts of avoiding this guy and just realizing some people are jerks and you're not going to change that. Some hunters (my dad is one of them) get very territorial about neighbors and deer as they "want them all for themselves" or are trying to grow better genetics and herds, however I think he'd really only be "upset" not "mad" if you shot a giant 12 pointer, not a doe. haha.

Thats called hunter harassment and is illegal, just like what the neighbor did.

i don't think they consider it harassment if it's your land and you're cutting down firewood. pretty common around me actually as the winter approaches. Even if that's the intent it's hard to prove. The only case I know that resulted in a fine was a guy I work with had a lady banging pots and pans on HIS property. Now that's harassment.

I don't think you realize just how ugly that kind of escalation can get to be. How far do you want to go? There definitely is a lot of value to trying to end all the anomosity rather than trying to fuel it. People have been shot with that kind of "get even" attitude. Do you really want to create situations where you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder, or worrying about the safety of your personal property. I mean some of these kinds of things can develop into a living hell.

amen.

Edited by Belo

Move.Or at least thats my wife answer for my PITA neighbor."lets just move".like its like trading in a truck for a new one or something.I can't hunt behind my house in the afternoon.They see me go out back with my bow and they fire up the wheelers and run up and down the hill and around the little 1 acre bedding area down there.Its fine for the first 10 mins as maybe they push something to me.After that its annoying.Then they like to get out the shotguns and target shoot.So i don't even hunt there in the evening.Hard to prove hunter harassment since they are doing normal activities.Banging on pans is for sure hunter harassment.

There might be some legality with recording without permission and stuff though.

It is not illegal for you to record someone's actions as long as you are the one doing the recording. However, if someone else is secretly recording a conversation between you and someone else without either party's knowledge then that's illegal. Just my legal opinion.

• Like 1

i don't think they consider it harassment if it's your land and you're cutting down firewood. pretty common around me actually as the winter approaches. Even if that's the intent it's hard to prove. The only case I know that resulted in a fine was a guy I work with had a lady banging pots and pans on HIS property. Now that's harassment.

First light on opening day of gun season when you have already had documented issues with the person? Yeah, not too hard to prove. Harassment, and scummy behavior.